PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he will demonstrate his value as the season progresses, especially in the playoffs, if healthy.

When a defensive minded coach like Ryan didnt think it was a big priority to resign Ellis,it shows you there were signs he was done.

I would refrain from signing old defensive guys that are from the Jets in the future.

I think we'll get more out of Brandon Deaderick the rest of the year. Play him at LDE on 1st down. And brink in Mark Anderson on passing downs. Ninko played LDE against Philly quite a bit last week. Also, am curious what Brace does with his snaps. Can get himself some playing time with Fat Albert gone. Wonder if Ellis slides into the DT rotation??

I'm glad to see younger guys outplaying him. He is what he is, a veteran backup/stabilizer.

Looks like he's at the end of the line but hopefully he can turn it up for the play-offs. i doubt he returns next season.

Looks like he's at the end of the line but hopefully he can turn it up for the play-offs. i doubt he returns next season.

Ellis and Ocho are all but sure outs next season.

I think that if he was playing, people would be complaining about how all the other d-linemen that we drafted/signed weren't getting snaps. There's going to be someone who isn't getting the snaps, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It means that Deaderick is playing well enough that we can afford to rest him and let him get healthy.

What is he making $4 mill...i mean that's a lot for the stats he has put up this year..but what may have been key is his insight to the jets as we beat them both times this year..i think beating them both times this year is worth the $4 million we payed the life long jet :D

Mixed bag. It's good the younger guys are playing better than him, but think about all the money that was spent on benchwarmers like Ellis and Ochosucko. Could have been a nice contract extension to Welker or a bigger FA pickup.

My thoughts? It's not my money.

The signing didn't work out as well as planned, but it is not like Ellis is hurting us. Just depth.

Since he joined the team the Jets have yet to beat us. I think he's doing great

Still a much better acquisition than Haynesworth/Ocho Cinco.

I have no problem with the acquisition of Ellis or with the fact that Deaderick and Anderson are ahead of him on the depth chart. Belichick likes veteran depth. We have it in Ellis.

Deaderick and Brace were likely to be on PUP.

Belichick brought in Carter, Ellis, Anderson and Haynsworth. Haynsworth was let go when Deaderick and Brace came off PUP, and Love turned out to be a solid player.

I don't expect Belichick to hit home runs on all his free agents. However, I believe that even Haynsworth was a fine signing. He filled in while others healed and developed. We might have gotten more for our $1M, but he did OK.

I have ZERO problem with the acquisitions or with the performance of the front seven, other than the dact that both Fletcher and Spikes are injured.

I have no problem with the acquisition of Ellis or with the fact that Deaderick and Anderson are ahead of him on the depth chart. Belichick likes veteran depth. We have it in Ellis.

Belichick brought in Carter, Ellis, Anderson and Haynsworth. Haynsworth was let go when Deaderick and Brace came off PUP, and Love turned out to be a solid player.

I don't expect Belichick to hit home runs on all his free agents. However, I believe that even Haynsworth was a fine signing. He filled in while others healed and developed. We might have gotten more for our $1M, but he did OK.

I have ZERO problem with the acquisitions or with the performance of the front seven, other than the dact that both Fletcher and Spikes are injured.

Agree with everything with the exception of Haynesworth being a fine signing. Certainly low risk, minimal compensation transaction but the man did virtually nothing while he was here and was cut for taking plays off. He was the definition of bizarro-Patriot. BB would have been better off signing "Turd"ell Sands.

I'd take his locker room presence and toughness anyday.

Ellis would have to be healthy to conclude he has been passed on the depth chart. Many made the same mistake when Guyton was active but too injured to play, claiming he was beaten out by Tarp and White.
Anderson doesnt really play the same position, because he is only a sub package DE and Ellis is a DT if he played in sub package.

Ellis would have been signed if both were healthy.
As it stands it appears Deaderick would be a healthy Ellis' backup and Brace plays a different position.

Many fans try to look at transactions in a vaccuum, such as Player X was brought in for Y role, but I have always, and believe BB does too, looked at transactions as in total, adding anyone who could help and then the roles work themselves out.
Each addition made sense as a potential piece of the puzzle, and each carried the chance that it would not be effective. The end result is what it is.

I'm hoping to see Ellis getting some defensive snaps in the next couple of games. I think the guy can still contribute at a fairly high level. Granted Anderson has been playing above expectations, but Ellis should get some time.

Plus, there's no way he can be in the same situation as Cunningham. (gasp)

Mixed bag. It's good the younger guys are playing better than him, but think about all the money that was spent on benchwarmers like Ellis and Ochosucko. Could have been a nice contract extension to Welker or a bigger FA pickup.

QFT.

We need to get much more athletic at DL next year...and Welker needs an extension ASAP.

we already paid him so as long as he contribute. that being 1 tackle per game or 10 tackles. anything is better than nothing.

He is a bit pricey but he showed against us that he is good when it counts. Hopefully he can do it again for us this time. Dont like the showings so far in the season though. Not at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft