PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This years draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anytime you can get a guy like Maroney, arguably the best RB in the draft put up with guys like Reggie Bush and also get a starter out of a kid who was a 5th or 6th round draft pick as an Offensive Lineman, thats a sign that you had a good draft. Just getting two solid starters out of rookies in their first year is good enough, but to get two GOOD starters out of rookies is great. 3 TD's for Jackson is good and he has plenty of upside. Clearly the ball is just being thrown more elsewhere at the time. Caldwell and Watson seem to be the bulk of Brady's targeted passes. Give them all sometime, and we'll see how good our draft was. Right now it looks good.

Sorry... but I can't give you Reeche Caldwell as a top free agent MGTeich. He's a deep threat, granted. But he'll not win you a game alone. And he won't pull in ten passes a game as a really good deep threat would (Devery Henderson at Saints) for example.

He's no more than a number three pair of hands, IMHO.

Gabriel looks a very good number two (he was third choice at Raiders). Another good swoop.

But we lack a number one target. Brady's lost his favourite two targets in Givens and Patten. And there is quite a chance that Watson will leave for better terms.

We have players who can fill in and more than do a job... Brown, Jackson, etc.

But we need a guy who can really, really punish teams. A Marvin Harrison if you will.

Watson is not going anywhere for a while. You are confusing him with Graham, who may very well be leaving next year.

moosekill said:
Watson is not going anywhere for a while. You are confusing him with Graham, who may very well be leaving next year.

Sorry, typo.

Are we really going to miss him? FWIW, I can see BB going for a veteran here. When you look at the combined age of our TE's its the lowest in the league.

Brarrell said:
Bottom line the FO and ownership did little to improve this team in FA how do you look

and honestly say you are championship driven.
This is a joke. If you go big in the FA market you are championship driven, and if you don't you are not.

So what, the Redskins won three championships this decade? Oh, wait, it was the Patriots.

The Pats have winning seasons year after year. Just because they don't do it the way you build your fantasy league team menas nothing. Or rather, it means they are doing it right.

OsloRhino said:
Sorry... but I can't give you Reeche Caldwell as a top free agent MGTeich. He's a deep threat, granted. But he'll not win you a game alone.
He doesn't have to. He's part of a team, not a one-man show. Rather than spend $6 -$8 mil a year each on a cokuple WRs, the money is better spent on the rest of the team.
OsloRhino said:
But we lack a number one target. Brady's lost his favourite two targets in Givens and Patten.
Patten? Are youk a pats fan or one of those visitors pretending to be a Pats fan so you can take pot shots? You also don't know the difference between Graham and Watson.

OsloRhino said:
But we need a guy who can really, really punish teams. A Marvin Harrison if you will.
Yeah, I really envy the three Lombaris he won for the Colts the last few years.

In 2001, the Pats won with Troy Brown as #1, David Patten and #2, and Fred Coleman (!) as #3. That's about it. Charles Johnson didn't do much. Our best receiver (Terry Glenn) BB opted not to play. That's how key WRs are to a superbowl run.

Good teams don't have 5 rookie starters.

You won't be able to evaluate this draft for 2-3 years.

Thomas looks fine to me. He's the third TE, way down the depth chart at receiver.

I would have like to see a defensive player in round 3-4, but I trust the people we have drafting. they do a pretty good job.

If they were filling in a disaster area like the Lions team, I'm sure they draft differently.

Players that are brought along slowly usually benefit. Wehave the depth to do so. Be thankful, not impatient.

I live in the DC area and I was listening to sports talk this morning. The host was really trying to drive the point home that the Redskins are doing it the wrong way, that free agency is overrated and you've got to build through the draft. You know which team came up as the example of how to do it right?

Fans in other cities beg their teams to figure out what the Patriots have, and the Pats still take grief for it from the mediots and some dumb fans.

Btw, I really like the sentiment around here that the Redskins win the month of March every year. Last year on the way to the playoffs the locals were proud of the team's free agent might while it is now the joke it deserves to be.

mgteich said:
Wow!

This draft was one of the best ever. Maroney, Gostkowski and O'Callaghan have already produced more than we have a right to expect from any rookie class.

Even after a hammy injury, Jackson is still contributing, and is a future starter.

Thomas is Graham's replacement at TE. And BTW, if the best blocking TE is an underperformer, I guess you think that TE's is simply WR with a bit of extra weight.

I agree that Mills may have been a mistake. I don't like players without a clear role either. And maybe not. We'll see after he is healthy for a season. We'll see after he competes in a couple of camps. With regard to the preseason, he looked like a fine prospect.

So, let's see. We have probably starters at RB, K, KR, RT, WR and TE. And this doesn't even count the ST/defensive prospects: Andrews, Woods, Smith and Mays.

couldnt have really said it better.... with 4 sure starters (RB/KR, WR, K, RT) and potential starter at TE I dont think you can ask for much more. I am still a little pesismistic about mills, and I hope that Thomas pans out, although I do want/hope that they Graham and do not think he is a "bust" as some would like to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST