PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This play is forever immortalized. THE IMMACULATE INTERCEPTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, when the dust settles, is this going to be the consensus greatest play in Patriots history? I mean, before now our highlights were walk off field goals.

When the dust settles? It was the one of the greatest plays in NFL history the second it happened. It goes right alongside 'The Catch', 'The Immaculate Reception', 'Miracle at the Meadowlands', 'The mutha#@%ing Helmet Catch', etc. in the debate for the greatest single play of all time. I think it's got a pretty damn good claim at the top spot. Most of the plays, outside 'The Catch', that are thought of as the greatest plays in NFL history are kind of flukey. 'The Pick', like 'The Catch', was a case of superb execution on the big stage. 'The Catch' was to win the NFCCG. 'The Pick' was to win the SB. I think you see where this is going...

Putting on my sage hat, I will summarize this game as the game of the secret weapons. No team had time to train against the unknown x factors in their adversaries. Seattle had Matthews who I believe BB neglected to deal with deflategate, while the Patriots made a decision between Gray or Butler (Just my opinion).
There was not enough film on Butler to know his tendencies and that helped us tremendously.

The only things that's clear is that it NEEDS a name.

Devastation in the Desert

The Deuce Drops In On Sherman's Bling

It is interesting to consider whether this was a Pass Interference. Luckily it all happened so fast that the refs, who seemed to be against the Patriots all game, did not throw a flag.

However this play does NOT appear to be PI. Butler did hit Lockette a split second before the ball go there, but both players had an equal chance for the ball. Butler just was the one to get the ball.

It is interesting to consider whether this was a Pass Interference. Luckily it all happened so fast that the refs, who seemed to be against the Patriots all game, did not throw a flag.

However this play does NOT appear to be PI. Butler did hit Lockette a split second before the ball go there, but both players had an equal chance for the ball. Butler just was the one to get the ball.
It isn't PI.

If it were even close to PI, it would be talked about every day for the next 4 months. But nobody has even dared to mention it. The CB has just as much right to the ball as the WR.

:):):):):):):):)

http://www.sullysbrand.com/item/822/the-butler-did-it-t-shirt
1422853223.jpg

Nothing fancy. "The Drive," "The Catch,"... "The Pick." Good enough. "Immaculate Interception" works for me too, but I think "The Pick" is more durable for its simplicity.

In fact, "The Catch" pales in comparison with the unlikeliness of the Tyree catch, and the Kearse catch that will now be forever forgotten. It was at the edge of what you can achieve by extending your athletic prowess... but both of those plays are at the edge of not only what you can control by athletic prowess, but what can't be controlled (e.g., angle of the ball against your head, the various spins of the well-defensed Kearse catch, etc.) Of course Kearse's catch is now just the thing that happened before "The Pick." I feel bad for him. I honestly feel bad in general for Seattle. Every Pats fan knows what that last minute punch in the nads feels like. Of course legions of Gintz fans didn't come out saying "oh we feel bad for you," but they didn't know how it felt... we do.

Sorry, just putting that out there. Some 'Hawks fans/players have been accepting, some have been obnoxious.

Just simply "The Interception" or The Pick" there was nothing immaculate about it, it came down to hard work and anticipation on the part of the staff and the players. There were no magical bounces as in immaculate reception, or the ball sticking to tyrees helmet. Theres no need to embellish it, just like 'the Drive" or 'The Catch' everyone will know what is being referred to. The simpler the better.

Last edited:
The Pick is the most fitting. There's no more memorable interception in NFL history, as far as i know.

Someone should do a poll. I would vote "The Pick".

I would vote the PIck too, because you could also read that as crediting Browner for his role in preventing a pick.

There's a lot of ways to interpret it.

Why do I feel, then, that it will eventually go down as "The Call."

I would vote the PIck too, because you could also read that as crediting Browner for his role in preventing a pick.

There's a lot of ways to interpret it.

Why do I feel, then, that it will eventually go down as "The Call."

Wasn't that one taken during the Dallas playoff win over Detroit?

I like The Pick.

I like the plane celebration at 2:37. I was on a flight to Vegas and got to watch the entire Buttfumble game. The plane was rockin' except for one guy a few seats ahead of me. Must've been a hater!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3