PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

THIS is Why Reiss Almost Quit ESPN Last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out why a 37-year old player has an excellent chance of quarterbacking his team to the Super Bowl, but a 38-year old player has no shot of doing so.

I'm trying to figure out why a 37-year old player has an excellent chance of quarterbacking his team to the Super Bowl, but a 38-year old player has no shot of doing so.

Age is just a number and Jimmy G. Is the next great QB!!!

Maybe the "8" is too round for the Super Bowl?

I think you need to look at it as a progression of improvement and research allthe NFL QBs who have won 3 playoff games in their first 3 seasons. You won't find many. I think you would also agree that the Colts have had a flawed roster in his 3 years in the league.

Brady's career INT %is 2.0 but in his first 1st 1700 throws or so they are fairly equal. Luck is 2.4. Favre is 3.3

I think you need to look at Luck's situation and the team. Brady was in a far better position with a defense that can control games and not rely on the offense to win them. With that said, in Brady's first few seasons, he threw roughly the same number of picks as Luck has in his first 1700 throws. The more a QB throws the more he will get picked off.

Check out Montana. His career INT % is greater than Luck's.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Montana played in a completely different era with stacked teams and totally different defensive rules. As for Brady and Luck, again, for Brady's first 1700 throws he was operating under different rules for defenders. You might as well compare Luck to Otto Graham.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Montana played in a completely different era with stacked teams and totally different defensive rules. As for Brady and Luck, again, for Brady's first 1700 throws he was operating under different rules for defenders.

Last two seasons, Luck's pick rate is 2.1- which is very good. In 2013 it was 1.6. The perception for Luck's propensity to throw a ton of picks is a tad overblown considering his D has been substandard and he needs to throw the ball a ton and does not have a running game. You need also understand that TB is #2 all-time in int %. Luck is 9th all-time.

You might as well compare Luck to Otto Graham.

Thats a little ridiculous.

....another person who doesn't comprehend the subject of the thread.

Once again, we can write this out for you in crayon if that'll make it easier for ya.

It is NOT about the content of what Colin Cowherd said.

i'm only commenting on your comment:

"Just a bunch a statements with no backup evidence for his belief."

and the subject of this thread is about brady, luck, pats, colts, trolls, aging qb, cowturd, and your sensitive skin.

shock jock 101: after a countless bold prediction they will eventually get 1 or 2 things right. and they do this.

'remember when i said this? here listen. aha! i'm right, you fans are wrong. that's why i make millions and write books, and you bozos listen to me on a tape delay at night shifts. i win. you lose."

it's a tactic all radio guys use. if cowturd is wrong, he will just move on. if he turns out to be right he will pump his chest and say i told you so.

just look at how quickly he moved on from kaepernick.

Cowherd is one of the few not so in the closet Pats fans in the media. He's a man with a radio show where he gives his opinions on things no different than anybody on a message board online.

Seriously, what a pile of pablum coming from someone who is nothing more than a carnival barker. Reiss was 100% right last year in telling them to get this kind of **** off his blog.

Sad when the Bristol suits troll into what is otherwise a great Patriots blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4776445/cowherd-this-is-bradys-last-chance-at-a-supbowler-

BTW, so no one has to click on it here is a large enough snippet so you can save the button:

"“I think by next year, Andrew Luck is going to own the AFC for a decade,” Cowherd says. “This is the worst team Andrew Luck is ever going to be on. [The Colts are] building, they're building, they're building. Now they got pretty good corners. They have some pretty good tight ends and receivers. With one more draft and free agency, they solve their offensive line ... they're going to own this thing.

"[Peyton] Manning’s gonna go, Brady's gonna go, and [the Colts are] gonna own it.

"It's going to be Andrew Luck's AFC. In fact, if Andrew Luck beats Tom Brady this weekend, the torch has been passed"​

Just a bunch a statements with no backup evidence for his belief.

Now that Peyton may be done the ESPN mediots look to have found their new QB to worship and campaign for.

After all, EVERYONE wants to see Andrew Luck win a ring.

To bring you up to date:

He almost did last year.

He was upset that ESPN began infringing on his bog with national material. He built the blog. They brought him over originally to do it, and then after a few years the suits told him they were going to bring in their national material. He went publicly ballistic for probably the only time in his career.

Maybe you missed it when it happened.

Weirdly, I'm experiencing pretty much the same professional problem. Maybe I should call Mike for advice?

"“I think by next year, Andrew Luck is going to own the AFC for a decade,” Cowherd says. “This is the worst team Andrew Luck is ever going to be on. [The Colts are] building, they're building, they're building. Now they got pretty good corners ... "

The problem with this kind of thinking is that team building is like sticking your finger in a dike. As soon as you do - another leak pops up.

All you need is a better corner and D lineman. So through free agency and the draft you plug that hole - except with salary cap you loose an Offensive Lineman and injury takes your best linebacker. Your always on the best team you'll ever be on today !!! Cowherd's attitude is the mantra of the almost franchises. It's their excuse.

Do it Sunday Andrew - the future is now !!

Brady and Belichick´s window is closing since 2003, remember, THEY HATE THEIR COACH!

I personally really like Colin Cowherd a lot, but this is obviously stupid. Sometimes I think that the Luck love is mandated by the higher ups and the personalities are required to rant about how amazing he is for a certain amount of time.

Same deal with Manning, but obviously they can't do that with Manning right now, so they go to backup lover Luck. They invested so much time anointing him the "next John Elway" before he was even drafted that they have to keep the mythos standing up themselves by continuing to say it even when it doesn't make sense. Perception = reality for ESPN.
Cowflap is entertaining at times. But, like most affiliated with the 4 letter network he will write/say ANYTHING for attention. ANYTHING. Concluding that anyone, with a couple of exceptions, affiliated with that network expresses an opinion genuinely and without an ulterior motive is to be unfailingly wrong. They're mostly whores with no regard for the truth.

Last two seasons, Luck's pick rate is 2.1- which is very good. In 2013 it was 1.6. The perception for Luck's propensity to throw a ton of picks is a tad overblown considering his D has been substandard and he needs to throw the ball a ton and does not have a running game. You need also understand that TB is #2 all-time in int %. Luck is 9th all-time.

Thats a little ridiculous.
It was just a comment on the difficult of comparing eras. Also, interception as a pure percentage is not necessarily as meaningful a stat as it might seem. It doesn't take into account when the ints happened or why they happened. It's true that Luck has had to carry that team, but it's also true (I think) that he takes some unnecessary risks with the ball.

It's true that Luck has had to carry that team, but it's also true (I think) that he takes some unnecessary risks with the ball.

Yep!

Typically Qbs that need to carry their team (lack of running game, defense) throw more picks than QBs who do not need to take those risks- IE they need to make plays.

Guys like Brady who carry their teams who don't throw a lot of picks are extraordinary.

I will tell you why Cowherd is wrong for one reason and one reason only.. They haven't paid Luck yet.. Fleener, Allen, Hilton, and Luck are all from the same draft. The question I would pose is why aren't the Colts better now?

Do you know what happened when Bill Belichick wasn't paying Tom Brady? He won three Super Bowls. Once you pay a QB 17 mil a year things get a lot harder. We have sustained excellence with Brady but is hasn't been easy. Wait and see what happens to the Seahawks d win they pay Wilson.

The truth is Belichick wins no matter what; let's see how the Colts handle paying Luck. When they had one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, the only reason they won a super bowl with him is because we blew 21-3 half time lead, to face the Bears in the super bowl.

Last edited:
We ended a potential dynasty in Super Bowl 36, time to destroy another one before it gets started.

Luck is great but the Colts are going to have to do better job building around him, Luck really elevates this Colts team. But that 2012 draft is basically this entire Colts offense; Luck, Fleener, Allen and Hilton.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Montana played in a completely different era with stacked teams and totally different defensive rules. As for Brady and Luck, again, for Brady's first 1700 throws he was operating under different rules for defenders. You might as well compare Luck to Otto Graham.

The 49'ers also were not held back by salary cap issues, and were able to continually restock during their great run... what is most impressive about this run is that the Pats have been rebuilt 3+ times without missing a beat, all within the salary cap rules..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST