PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This impressive stat shows that Danny Amendola may be the most underrated player left on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
These last few years have made me into a Amendola fan. An undrafted free agent who became 2x time champion and made incredible plays, Amendola represents an NFL success story. This past recent game shows exactly how important his presence has been.

With Edelman out and Gronk less than 100%, he was the one Patriots to get any real kind of separation against the Chiefs (Dola was 6-7 for 85.7%, 100 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 14.3 YPA, 133.0 target rating). After Amendola left, the Patriots’ final four drives resulted in a turnover on downs and three punts, with Brady going 4-of-11 (36%).

People knew the Patriots offense would struggle without Edelman, but many didn’t realize how much Amendola’s role could grow. With Edelman out, Amendola is the best route runner left on the roster. Let's hope he can come back well from concussion protocol and stay healthy.

And for the love of gawd Bill.... FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO FREAKIN RETURN PUNTS!!!!!!!!

Chiefs didn’t give the Patriots receivers any room at the line of scrimmage

There is a stat called “cushion” which looks at how much space the defender gives the opposing receiver prior to the snap. Players with speed generally receive more space at the snap so the defender can adjust and not fall behind too quickly.

The Chiefs decided to give the Patriots no cushion at all, with Danny Amendola (2.8 yards of cushion, 2nd), Rob Gronkowski (2.9, 3rd), and Brandin Cooks (3.5, 6th) ranking at the bottom of the league in space. Kansas City didn’t want to give any of these players a free release out of the snap and their decision to provide zero cushion prevented the Patriots from throwing any quick passes.

Chris Hogan received 5.2 yards of cushion, but he was shadowed by All Pro CB Marcus Peters and Patriots head coach Bill Belichick didn’t want to challenge Peters and risk a turnover. The result is that Brady was targeting receivers extremely far down the field. Hogan (20.3 yards down the field) and Cooks (20.3) were tied for the second-deepest average target, with Gronkowski (19.1) ranking fifth.

Danny Amendola actually generated 3.4 yards of separation, tied for eighth-best, which just serves to highlight how much of a positive impact he had on the game, and just how much the Patriots were in trouble when he was lost to injury.

In fact, Amendola was one of two receivers (other: Sammy Watkins) all week to increase their distance from the defender from the snap to the reception. All other receivers had their separation at the time of the catch smaller than the cushion provided at the snap.

Last edited:
That separation stat is pretty cool - not to diminish Amendola, who played an excellent game, but it says as much about Phillip Gaines as it does about him. Gaines sucks, the Pats were right to attack that matchup over and over. Gaines is a liability in coverage and the Chiefs should be punished every time he's on the field. He was consistently bad last year and the Pats recognized that and gameplanned accordingly. If you have an otherwise strong defense with one glaring weak spot, nobody will attack it more relentlessly than the Pats.

But...but...he can't create any separation any longer, and he's slow off the line. :rolleyes:

Any way you look at it, he's still clearly the best option we have at working the underneath routes, and his presence was sorely missed on those last 4 crucial drives.

I toasted DA before the game because he has been about as unselfish, clutch and tough a patriot I have ever seen in the history of the franchise. It's unfortunate he keeps getting injured because there is no doubt he could catch 100 balls and have 1200 yards in this system at full heath.

He said he was feeling as good as ever this year and I think we saw the results. Hopefully he will be back next game or the one after and continue to play elite football. They may have to decide if its worth managing his snaps and keep him more or a role player so he can go later in the year.

Unfortunately football players play football and we need our best players out there. See Exhibit - Game 1

I toasted DA before the game because he has been about as unselfish, clutch and tough a patriot I have ever seen in the history of the franchise.

Hard to top Bruschi, Dola definitely has had that kind of impact- especially with all the pay cuts he's been asked to take to make room for others. I'm glad to have him on our team, and I hope he can get another ring before hanging up his cleats

I've always like dola. Tough player with the best hands on the team. I was more suprised that cooks didn't separate with all the hype I've been fed. There was a defender on his hip every catch but it wouldn't have mattered anyways because the defenders were holding every play. Same goes for Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back