PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things to remember on draft day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I like to post this every year before the draft. I don't think it's worked yet but I'm still going to give it a shot.

At this point I think BB and Pioli have proven their abilities of selecting talent in the 1st round. Every 1st rounder they have taken has become a key part of our team. It doesn't mean they'll be dead on right every single time but they've proven to be excellent with their top picks.

With so many different names being mentioned on this board the past few months, someone is going to be disappointed when a certain player's name isn't called.

Does this board have to get crazy like it does every single year? People wig out because we passed on someone or we took someone too high or we didn't need that player......so on and so on. Again, show me when the Pats have been proven wrong in the 1st round under Belichick and then criticize all you want. Until then, I think we owe them a "wait and see" stance.

I'll admit, in 2004 I was a bit disappointed we took Wilfork over Steven Jackson. I understood that Wilfork was better for the team but I loved Jackson so much I still wanted him. I'm sure some Texans fans are feeling the same way. Some I'm sure know Williams is better for them long term but are still bummed they won't be watching Reggie Bush at Reliant Stadium for the next decade.

I've seen people give infatic Fs for the Patriots first day, only to "cool down" by Sunday and talk about how smart and good the Patriots picks were.

Hey, I'm not saying you can't complain or anything, just think about what we've done over the last five years for a second before starting a ranting thread.

Also, if the Patriots take somone that a certain draft website didn't have rated to go until the 2nd round, it's OOOOOOKKKKKKKKKK! Like I posted a couple weeks ago, Branch was the 17th rated WR projected to go in the late 6th round. Who here would like to go back and risk losing out on him to get better "draft value." Lee Evans was supposed to be there when we made our 2nd pick in 2004 and he went very high to Buffalo. It sure doesn't look like a mistake.

I know it's real easy to get so excited about the possibilities of draft day that anything different seems to be the wrong choice. Let's just relax, enjoy the day and watch the Pats continue to build a great football team.

I went back and checked NFLDraftScout.com and they had Branch rated as a 3rd rounder and the 10th best WR. The Pats taking him late in the 2nd wasn't a big reach.

However, the gist of your message still holds true.

I drank the kool-aid on that long ago. Good post, motion seconded. Anybody that wants to quibble with the premise, go over the last 5 years' worth of Pats' first-rounders.

I agree. But you know someone is going to post "WHO THE HELL IS <enter draftee's name here>!!!" or "WHY THE HELL DID WE DRAFT A <enter percieved unneeded position here>!!!".

I know I thought that last year with Mankins. Tomorrow I'm just going to drink my Kool-Aid and enjoy the draft. In BB I Trust.

Good Post, I have my jug of Kool Aid ready for tomorrow.

DaBruinz said:
I went back and checked NFLDraftScout.com and they had Branch rated as a 3rd rounder and the 10th best WR. The Pats taking him late in the 2nd wasn't a big reach.

However, the gist of your message still holds true.

CNNSI had him ranked where I said. Either way, we did see comments on this board to the extent of "we just drafted the offensive version of Chris Canty."

He's also just one of the multiple players we have "reached" for over the last five years.

[QUOTE=DaBruinz]I went back and checked NFLDraftScout.com and they had Branch rated as a 3rd rounder and the 10th best WR. The Pats taking him late in the 2nd wasn't a big reach.

However, the gist of your message still holds true.[/QUOTE]
Scouts Inc on ESPN.com had him 8th best.

Agreed CPG, and it is a good idea to post this now. Just to add another angle on this idea, use the chat room here during the draft at your own peril, if the Pats pick someone unexpected (like Mankins and Hobbs last year) the combined IQ of the room will drop below room temperature. The comments last year were beyond stupid.

On an unrelated note, I predict the Pats will trade away one of their first 4 picks this year, and part of the return will be a pick in next year's draft.

Really going out on a limb here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes