PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Theory on why Vrabel was included on the deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Vrabel agreed to resign with the Pats for less, then he should of just done so instead of getting shipped around like a circus animal

What make Vrabel different than any other player in the NFL? If it was time to move on, it was time. It's not a disrespect to him.

What make Vrabel different than any other player in the NFL? If it was time to move on, it was time. It's not a disrespect to him.

because cap-wise, it would not have made a difference had they cut him or traded him........he can help implement the 3-4 in KC and will likely cut his coaching teeth there........who knows, maybe pioli was the one that got vrabel to go to the pats in the first place

because cap-wise, it would not have made a difference had they cut him or traded him........he can help implement the 3-4 in KC and will likely cut his coaching teeth there........who knows, maybe pioli was the one that got vrabel to go to the pats in the first place

From what I understand, cutting him would have left us with a millionish cap charge. Confirm or deny, anyone?

If Vrabel agreed to resign with the Pats for less, then he should of just done so instead of getting shipped around like a circus animal

If he renegotiated, that money was going to count against the cap sooner or later. By trading him, we completely get rid of his current cap charges.

This was a "Golden Parachute" to Mike Vrabel from The Patriots.He could have been cut but He was thrown into this trade and He keeps his contract and The Patriots end up with cap room.It's a win for The Patriots, a win for The Chiefs, and a win for Mike Vrabel.

I like this way of thinking about it.

My guess is that it was more a case of Pioli wanting Vrable's high character and locker room presence and making him a contingency for the Cassel trade than it was a case of BB actively shopping Vrable.

Pioli knew that because of Vrable's high cap hit that BB would go for it.

I agree, I was replying to the OP saying the idea was for him to get traded then come back. Why not just take a pay cut?

I think that Vrabel did slip some in form during 2008, and that the season evaluation on him mandated some sort of action. At worst he was on the chopping block, to be let go July 1st. Since he was one of BBs favorite players ever, a more dignified departure was in order. Vrabel was one of the lockerroom enforcers at the Patriots, and he will fill that role in KC, as well as bring home the finer points of the Patriots Way to the players there. That would make him a valuable inclusion in the trade from Pioli's perspective.
Matt Cassel now will be able to thank the person who enabled him to become the starting QB in NE when he chooses his locker in KC.

the reason why they were paired together is this : the nfl forbids franchising a player to trade him,therefore a package was put together with vrabs and matt to defer the looks and intent from the outset to the league as they (the pats) did not want to hear any more whining from any other of the crybaby teams ....You heard it here first

From what I understand, cutting him would have left us with a millionish cap charge. Confirm or deny, anyone?

I believe the cap charge is there regardless..........the signing bonus comes due either way.......

This was a "Golden Parachute" to Mike Vrabel from The Patriots.He could have been cut but He was thrown into this trade and He keeps his contract and The Patriots end up with cap room.It's a win for The Patriots, a win for The Chiefs, and a win for Mike Vrabel.

Exactly. Vrabel is not the player he once way. There's clearly a sentimental attachment from the fans, but he's just not there anymore. The cap flexibility is better, and so is the opportunity to do right by the player by letting him get his money and contribute as a leader somewhere else (not to mention the Patriots controlling where he goes, as opposed to the chance he could be cut and then go to a contending team challenging us.)

Vrabel is part of this deal because he was probably going to be a salary cap casualty anyway, and he will serve as the negotiating tool with Cassel. It was'nt just a second it was a second and a player. Obviously something else is coming our way on or close to draft day. How about Gonzales for a fourth rounder. BB and Pioli are helping each other out here.

Willie McGinest had 4 sacks in one game in the final playoffs in which he was a Patriot. We correctly allowed him to go elsewhere, although it was a different circumstance. Vrabel was worse than Willie was when we allowed him to walk, so I have comfort in the move.

Looking back on it, I first noticed Vrabel falling off in SB 42 (quite a few pointed this out as I remember). I thought for sure that he would be back to form in 2008. But really, that never happened. There has been constant talk about the lack of pass rush of the Pats. It was time to move on.

As long as the Pats do not stand still at OLB, then I'm all for this move. If the cap room allows us to pick up an OLB, or if we can pick up someone in the draft than it's a good thing.

After taking this whole thing in over the last couple of days, the only explanation that makes sense to me is:

Cassel: NE obviously really did not want to reunite him with McDaniels in DEN, who reportedly dangled Cutler as bate in front of all teams in dire need of a QB (i.e. TB, DET, MIN) and thereby deflating the market for Cassel.

Vrabel: Salary dump, but by including him in this deal NE controlled that he will not play for a big rival this season.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it...

After taking this whole thing in over the last couple of days, the only explanation that makes sense to me is:

Cassel: NE obviously really did not want to reunite him with McDaniels in DEN, who reportedly dangled Cutler as bate in front of all teams in dire need of a QB (i.e. TB, DET, MIN) and thereby deflating the market for Cassel.

Vrabel: Salary dump, but by including him in this deal NE controlled that he will not play for a big rival this season.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it...

McDaniels was never going to trade Cutler. All that three way trade crap was never going to happen. Why the hell would McDaniels even go to Denver if it weren't for Cutler? He's the best thing about that franchise.

People need to realize that Cassel was not worth a first and a third. He was worth maybe, a very late first. Getting him for the #34 is a negligible difference.

The only people who got "scammed" were the fans who ridiculously overvalued Cassel in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents