PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Vulnerable Five

right now I think Logan Ryan should be the #3 outside CB, with Arrington staying in the slot

I guess they were indeed vulnerable; two have been waived. As Reiss suggested yesterday, it is Barker, not Cave, who is the emergency backup if Svitek can't play on Sunday.

I guess they were indeed vulnerable; two have been waived. As Reiss suggested yesterday, it is Barker, not Cave, who is the emergency backup if Svitek can't play on Sunday.

Belichick has once again proven me wrong by cutting Cave :)

In regards to Mulligan being cut, the phrase “good riddance” comes to mind.

right now I think Logan Ryan should be the #3 outside CB, with Arrington staying in the slot

Logan Ryan isn't ready to be on the field, and he's sure as hell not ready to play the outside, unless he's allowed to shoot and kill the opposing WR as a means of stopping him.

When a guy like Mulligan gets signed and cut during the week, how much does he get paid?

We have a temporary 53 man roster.

THE VULNERABLE FIVE (IMHO)

OC Cave (PS material)
OG Barker (PS material)
TE Mulligan (should be upgradable)
LB/ST Beauharnais (PS material; and made surplus by the signing of Chris White)
DT Vellano
With the release of Braxston Cave, the New England Patriots are down to eight offensive lineman on the 53 man roster.

Patriots release Matthew Mulligan, Braxston Cave - ESPN Boston

Mulligan out, Develin in.

Source: FB Develin to be re-signed - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

P.S. You need a new list

The VULNERABLE SIX
Devlin (upgradable or replaceable)
Beauharnais (IMHO we have an extra LB/STer)
Barker (upgradeable)
Francis (upgradable)
Vellano (upgradable)
White (IMHO, we have an extra LB/STer)

NEEDS (in addition to upgrades)
DE
CB
KR

P.S. You need a new list

The VULNERABLE SIX
Devlin (upgradable or replaceable)
Beauharnais (IMHO we have an extra LB/STer)
Barker (upgradeable)
Francis (upgradable)
Vellano (upgradable)
White (IMHO, we have an extra LB/STer)

NEEDS (in addition to upgrades)
DE
CB
KR

Regarding who is upgradeable and who isn’t that really is dependent on who is available, unless you want to overpay for Seymour (and he’d have to want to return = unlikely) I am not sure you have upgrades at DT available right now. Actually in my opinion I think we should let them actually play a game before we start calling them upgradeable, because that opinion is based on what, them being rookies or their draft status, neither of which is a true indicator of what grade a player is, 6th round QB’s would generally have upgradeable next to them in their rookie years on a list like this.

The only players who we should be listing as upgradeable at this point are players with at least 1 year over NFL experience; I am not prepared to pass judgment on some unless I have seen them play in a regular season game.

Look at some of the contributors that would be listed as upgradeable in their rookie seasons if you base that on draft status and inexperience:

Brady
Wendell
Connolly
Cannon
Sudfeld
Hooman
Ninkovich
Arrington
Amendola
Thompkins
Bolden
Blount
Kelly
Fletcher
Dennard
Gregory
Buchanan

I don’t see this extra LB/ST by my count we have 1 less front 7 player this season than we had last year.

2012 | 2013
NT- Wilfork | Wilfork
DT- Deaderick | Kelly
RDE- Jones | Jones
LDE- Ninkovich | Ninkovich
OLB- Hightower | Hightower
WILB- Mayo | Mayo
SILB- Spikes | Spikes
DT- Love | Vellano
DT- Brace/Fortson | Francis
DE - Cunningham | Buchanan
DE- Bequette | Bequette
DE- Francis | N/A (-1)
DE/LB- Scott | Collins
LB- T. White | Fletcher
LB- Rivera | Beauharnais
LB- Koutouvides | C. White

There are many here who agree with you. They are excited about having over 20 players with almost no experience. I strongly disagree with that approach. There is a REASON for the Practice Squad. Unless a team is in full rebuilding mode, this approach is extremely risky. Sure, it's right to carry a couple of UDFA's and a half dozen draftees and last year's group.

There is nothing wrong with developing players. Some are draftees. Some come from other teams like Vrabel and Ninkovich. But for me, there is a reasonable limit.

The offense is a school in session with Brady as the professor. Four rookie receivers for the PATRIOTS (3 WR and a TE). Wake me up from the bad dream. It will likely work out fine because we have a very experienced OL and a reasonable and deep set of running backs, and a really weak division (we play 2 of the 3-5 worst teams in the NFL in the next 2 weeks)..

On defense, we have a vey few vets, last year's kids and this year's kids. We look at their measurables and college experience and hope. We NEED no injuries to the veterans; We NEED last year's top rookies to step up, and we need contributions from this year's rookies.
This could work out. On paper this team's defense is improved.

Very young teams sometimes succeed. However, there is a reason that of the top 10 youngest teams, only a couple are serious contenders.

The only players who we should be listing as upgradeable at this point are players with at least 1 year over NFL experience; I am not prepared to pass judgment on some unless I have seen them play in a regular season game.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back