PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Undrafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With the success of David Andrews as a Week One rookie starting center, and Malcom Butler aka The Hero of SuperBowl 49, the role of Undrafted players on Belichick's roster really comes into focus.

A buddy of mine, life long Seattle fan, griped to me this offseason that the Pats will probably find some future All Pro again, walking the streets or selling life insurance. He was still miserable about the SB, but it struck me that the Pats are pretty exceptional at developing players who were Undrafted.

I think Belichick especially relishes the chance to put UDFAs onto his roster: (1) the best of them play their entire careers hungry and attentive, (2) it's an opportunity for him to cement his legacy as a teacher and football guru (3) turning Undrafted players into stars makes other promising Undrafted guys choose Foxboro as their shot at a roster spot, because they know they'll get a fair shake (4) hella-smart way to manage the salary cap

Trying to put together a list of The Undrafted that made a name as Patriots. I know I've missed some, especially from the early Belichick years...

- Malcom Butler
- David Andrews
- Chris Harper
- Brandon Bolden
- Kenbrell Thompkins
- Ryan Allen
- Joe Vellano
- Josh Kline
- Dane Fletcher
- Kyle Love
- BenJarvis Green Ellis
- Brian Hoyer
- Ryan Wendell
- Gary Guyton
- Dan Connolly
- Randall Gay
- Wes Welker
- Lonie Paxton
- Stephen Neal
- Joe Andruzzi
- David Patten
- Kyle Arrington

This thread title sounds like a movie name.

I hope they make a movie, The Undrafted, with the story of Malcon Butler, the only player to ever make five winning interceptions in the SB in a roll.

Danny Woodhead was UDFA. Jets cut him to keep Joe McKnight a 4th rounder even though Danny outplayed him in preseason... Pedigree isn't everything..

Great list indeed they make for his slew of Second Round Blunders or horrible Reaches.

Great list indeed they make for his slew of Second Round Blunders or horrible Reaches.

gifts-for-debbie-downer.jpg

When Andrews started against Pittsburgh my fears for his safety didn't diminish when they asked a trivia question, "who were the 3 UDFA rookies who have started for BB opening day."?

The answer scared me, because, besides DAnderws, the other 2 were Jace Saylor (WHO :eek: ), and some other guy who's was so anonymous it escapes me. So when the game started I couldn't help but thinking that BB doesn't seem to have a great reacord starting UDFA rookies. ;) I should have known better.

BOTTOM LINE though, given how good his teams have been over the years, and how many draft picks he managed to accumulate over the years, it IS remarkable that he's had so many UDFA's have made this team and contributed over the years. Pretty remarkable.

One has to know what they are doing to go outside The Draft Box. The job-security people can always point to draft positions to cover theirs. BB doesn't get filtered by that dynamic. :cool:

This thread title sounds like a movie name.

I hope they make a movie, The Undrafted, with the story of Malcon Butler, the only player to ever make five winning interceptions in the SB in a roll.
I'm young and healthy. But I don't think my heart could handle 5 super bowls in a row coming down to a game winning interception.

When I read this list, it is filled with many of my binkies.. wonder if Ernie Adams is the author of some of these signings???.. Sounds good even if it is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents