PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The soon-to-be-unpopular "Time to draft a TE" thread.

I definitely think we need a TE who can take over the passing game when needed...a Dallas Clark or Jason Witten type who can reliably carry the offense when/if Moss and Wes are taken out of the game. I go back and forth whether that's Gresham, whom I think is the best all-around TE to come out in a couple of years, and is probably a much better blocker (Witten), or the just-declared Aaron Hernandez, who might not run a great 40 time, but can seem to get open at will and play out in space (Clark).

Watson is gone, Baker's not really a receiving threat, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Belichick spend a first rounder on either one of them if he doesn't like any of the DEs or LBs that are available when he's on the clock.

TEs also play all three downs (good ones) and are solid redzone targets. Gresham looked great last year, I would be ok with this. But I would also be ok if the just picked a 4th rounder or JAG FA. TE is a position (like RB) that unless you are an elite talent you are just average, no point over paying.

McCoy is the real McCoy. He plays for USC.

We need to be passing to TEs. Adds more variabilitiy and unpredictability to the offense. No more of this 5 wide stuff.

I think he'd be available in the 2nd.

So Spikes in the first, McCoy in the 2nd.

Spikes could play rush LB. Do it a lot better than Thomas, that slug.

Then Edds in the 3rd or with a late 2nd.

Also the WR McGaha is exactly what BB is looking for in the late 4th/5th.

Not sure about a 3-4 DE. Hopefully he can get one late.

Also Ryan Matthews is what the doctor ordered as a RB. He's kind of like that RB who used to play for the bills years ago...the one who forgot his helmet in the sb.

McCoy is the real McCoy. He plays for USC.

We need to be passing to TEs. Adds more variabilitiy and unpredictability to the offense. No more of this 5 wide stuff.

I think he'd be available in the 2nd.

So Spikes in the first, McCoy in the 2nd.

Spikes could play rush LB. Do it a lot better than Thomas, that slug.

Then Edds in the 3rd or with a late 2nd.

Also the WR McGaha is exactly what BB is looking for in the late 4th/5th.

Not sure about a 3-4 DE. Hopefully he can get one late.

Also Ryan Matthews is what the doctor ordered as a RB. He's kind of like that RB who used to play for the bills years ago...the one who forgot his helmet in the sb.

So much to say...

That "5-wide stuff" works pretty well when we can protect Tom.

Spikes can't play Rush LB. He is somewhat decent in coverage though.

I have no problems with Edds.

Ryan Matthews isn't quite Thurman Thomas yet.

3-4 DE's don't crawl out of the woodwork.

So much to say...

That "5-wide stuff" works pretty well when we can protect Tom.

Spikes can't play Rush LB. He is somewhat decent in coverage though.

I have no problems with Edds.

Ryan Matthews isn't quite Thurman Thomas yet.

3-4 DE's don't crawl out of the woodwork.

5 wide doesn't work if you only have 2 1/2 WRs. Spikes could play rush lb on occasion, why not? He's a good blitzer.

Ryan Matthews is good.

3-4 DE's occasionally crawl out of the woodwork. I didn't say they did but if they can find a pryor in the late rounds, I think they can find a 6-4 DT who could project as a 3-4 DE in the latter rounds.

5 wide doesn't work if you only have 2 1/2 WRs. Spikes could play rush lb on occasion, why not? He's a good blitzer.

Ryan Matthews is good.

3-4 DE's occasionally crawl out of the woodwork. I didn't say they did but if they can find a pryor in the late rounds, I think they can find a 6-4 DT who could project as a 3-4 DE in the latter rounds.

Ryan Matthews is good -- not in the hall of fame like Thurman yet.

Being able to blitz well from a MLB position is VERY different than being able to apply consistent pressure rushing off the edge. Maybe Spikes can do that, but he hasn't shown it.

Being able to blitz well from a MLB position is VERY different than being able to apply consistent pressure rushing off the edge. Maybe Spikes can do that, but he hasn't shown it.

When you say maybe Spikes can do that, are you talking about blitzing up the middle or talking about Spikes bringing consistent pressure off the edge?

Gator Mike can give us more detail, but I do not remember Spikes blitzing up the middle more than a few times a game.

The overall sentiment of this thread I believe is wrong right now. We don't need a Jason Witten as a Tight End and would be foolish to take one in the first round. We have MUCH bigger needs then getting a pass catching Tight end. Focus on the D-Line/OLB, RB, OL and WR before thinking about the TE.

Maybe the 4th or 5th round, but certainly not in the first round.

It's about value. That's the sentiment of this thread. Yes, I would much rather have a pass-rusher, offensive lineman, or Defensive end. However, drafting at 26 or wherever we'll be, who knows if there will be one worth taking.

My point is, if this is the case, instead of reaching for a second-round talent in the first round just because he plays linebacker, BB should, and probably will, draft the Tight End that he feels is worthy of the 1st round grade.

Is there any doubt that if we had Dallas Clark instead of Ben Watson, we'd still be playing this season? A tight end who can get open against any linebacker in the league, run fantastic routes and show great hands?

When you say maybe Spikes can do that, are you talking about blitzing up the middle or talking about Spikes bringing consistent pressure off the edge?

Gator Mike can give us more detail, but I do not remember Spikes blitzing up the middle more than a few times a game.

Edge Rushing is what I haven't seen... Spikes blitzes up the middle just fine.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back