PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The sad state of the Pats Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodney is probably my favorite Patriot ever and no one can live up to him, but I love Chung. The guy knows how to make plays. I'm not a fan of BM.

Agree..Chung is a beast..and will improve....he's a hard worker and a Patriot type player....

BM doesn't create that same feeling.....

Maybe BM matures and turns out fine but I don't see it yet...

Honestly, I'm fine with our safeties. Chung is an up-and-comer. Meriweather is entering a contract year. Sanders is getting to that age of experience where he is still athletic which is coupled with experience (experience to me is more important for a safety than say a CB). And on top of that we might re-sign McGowan to a 1-year prove it deal (since he didn't play at all last season). Or we might retain Page. And Sergio Brown showed some potential last year, so we'll see how that plays out.

I certainly miss the glory days of Harrison back in 2003 and 2004. But I think we're in a better position than we've been in for a long time. Instead of one really good safety, we have many solid ones. If one goes down (like 2005), then we have others to pick up the slack. And let's not forget that while they gave up a lot of yards in the bend-but-don't-break defense, they didn't give up nearly as many points (just look at the rankings for yards allowed and points allowed). Plus we were #1 in interceptions. This is a much more capable group in which we don't rely on one player (Harrison) to do all the work. I know our offense last year was great at scoring points and many credit that with helping our defense, but...

If the offense is scoring more points, then one would expect that other teams would be more aggressive in passing the ball; hence all the yards surrendered via our pass defense. We gave up a lot of yards which is expected with our defense, but it's a risk-reward for other teams. They risked more interceptions and we got more.

Plus, when we argue that it's the offense helping out the defense, let's not forget that our time of possession on offense was less than average. If the offense was helping the defense out, then they could have held on to the ball longer. What's more, we can credit the defense with contributing to our high points per game average because they were helping our offense get the ball back via picks (and fumbles).

All in all, I'm quite comfortable with our entire secondary.

Rodney is probably my favorite Patriot ever and no one can live up to him, but I love Chung. The guy knows how to make plays. I'm not a fan of BM.

Same here. Rodney will always be a special player, but he is retired. Chung showed he can play last year and will only get better with time.

BM has ability but really hasn't shown he is capable of grasping situational football. Some great game-changing hits for and against the Pats. A few years in, he is still a loose cannon on the field.

If you think our safeties are bad, take a look at who plays safety for the Dolphins or Jets. You'll feel better.

Typical NE, puritan negative reaction. You compare Harrison, who should be a HOFer, with our current Safeties and find them wanting. What a shock! :rolleyes: I'm guessing you can do the same for 95% of the rest of the league's safeties as well.

For your next post you might think about talking about how disappointing it is that it might rain soon.

Personally I think Chung is fantastic. I don't understand how "pro bowl" Merriweather is allowed in the same discussion but I'm probably just scarred from watching him bowl over our own players. (seriously, who's side are you on man!!)

I'm happy with Chung but I hope to see Ras-I moved over to safety to light a fire under the rest.

Last edited:
Typical NE, puritan negative reaction. You compare Harrison, who should be a HOFer, with our current Safeties and find them wanting. What a shock! :rolleyes: I'm guessing you can do the same for 95% of the rest of the league's safeties as well.

For your next post you might think about talking about how disappointing it is that it might rain soon.

Rodney was the best player in the entire league in 2004. If "sad" is based on that criteria, then the only position on the team that isn't sad is quarterback.

Last edited:
The big question on Ras-I is does BB play him as a Safety or at CB ?

Maybe he becomes a Safeback :D

As for the safety group, it is somewhat of an enigma at the moment. NE's depth is the best in the league, having NFL quality players down to the 5th guy (6th, if you count McGowen). Consider how much NYG's defense shat the bed in 2009 when they lost a single guy as well as Pitt's serious falloff from Troy and you realize how different NE's roster is than most.

That said, only Chung and and Sergio Brown are signed beyond this year (a couple are FAs already), so NE is going to have some decisions to make. On top of that, NE's best defenses consistently had two upper tier starting safeties. Even if you count Chung as someone who will emerge, that still means one more elite guy is needed to bring the defense into prominance. I'm not sure that guy is on the roster at the moment, though Page looked like he was earning some trust before getting hurt. Ras-I is another option, though BB seemed to indicate CB is where he will start.

I personally think NE is going to address the safety position with one of their 1st or 2nd round picks next year.

Last edited:
As for the safety group, it is somewhat of an enigma at the moment. NE's depth is the best in the league, having NFL quality players down to the 5th guy (6th, if you count McGowen). Consider how much NYG's defense shat the bed in 2009 when they lost a single guy as well as Pitt's serious falloff from Troy and you realize how different NE's roster is than most.

That said, only Chung and and Sergio Brown are signed beyond this year (a couple are FAs already), so NE is going to have some decisions to make. On top of that, NE's best defenses consistently had two upper tier starting safeties. Even if you count Chung as someone who will emerge, that still means one more elite guy is needed to bring the defense into prominance. I'm not sure that guy is on the roster at the moment, though Page looked like he was earning some trust before getting hurt. Ras-I is another option, though BB seemed to indicate CB is where he will start.

I personally think NE is going to address the safety position with one of their 1st or 2nd round picks next year.
This years safety draft class was one of the worst in recent memory. Next years is suppose to be average to slightly above.

I happen to think that we are fine this year. And if they do sign McGowen that gives them good depth at the position and some more flex in defensive play calling.

Terrible thread is terrible.

Please elaborate why Jack....:p

People forget that we grabbed Rodney at the peak of his career. Chung is nowhere near that, and Meriweather is only in the 4th year of his career.

The big question on Ras-I is does BB play him as a Safety or at CB ?

Maybe he becomes a Safeback :D

I think safety and they trade "probowl" Meriweather. It just makes sense, he's going to want Assante numbers and he's not worth it. somebody will pay a draft pick for a year of him.

I think safety and they trade "probowl" Meriweather. It just makes sense, he's going to want Assante numbers and he's not worth it. somebody will pay a draft pick for a year of him.

Remember, though, that the Patriots felt that a year of Asante at $7M+ was worth more than the difference between the #97 comp pick they got for him in 2009 and any pick they could have gotten for him in a trade.

Remember, though, that the Patriots felt that a year of Asante at $7M+ was worth more than the difference between the #97 comp pick they got for him in 2009 and any pick they could have gotten for him in a trade.

Those were different situations. In 2007, Samuel was the missing piece on a team that BB knew almost immediately was good enough to make history. Beyond Asante being the best member of the secondary, the CB and safety depth was piss poor.

This situation is pretty much the opposite. Assuming NE brings most of the 2010 roster back, they have great depth, just not the top end of the roster taken care of. If BB makes the decision that Brandon isn't that much better of an option or he isn't getting better he could easily be shown the door. Especially when his leaguewide market value seems very high.

Personally, I don't think there is much of debate. Chung is clearly the Pats' best safety IMHO. He played at a Pro Bowl level for a long stretch last year.

He needs to put it together and be a little more consistent and work on his coverages, but he has the ability to be a true Pro Bowl caliber safety. He probably won't be at a Rodney Harrison level ever, but few safeties over the years are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents