PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats are in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas is a good coverage guy, and he does get some pressure now and then, but not consistently.

I believe Crable's career high in sacks at Michigan was 7.5. Nothing to get excited about.

:rip: :bricks:

whatever happened to the "sky is falling" emoticon? I think i'm gonna need it alot tonight.lol.

I do not believe the Pats addressed their most pressing need whatsoever in this draft or offseason. Last year was so frustrating to watch simply because of how bad they were on 3rd and long. I know I've said this before, but it got to the point where I actually expected teams to convert 3rd and longs on the Pats. I was a lot more surprised when they actually got stops in those situations. Now the Pats (as they are currently made up) go into next season without a proven pass rusher on the roster. Adalius is the only player with double digit sacks in his career, and he's done that 1 time.

I don't care how many DBs they pick up, QBs are going to have all day to pick them apart with the pass rushers they currently have. I think a real good defensive comparison would be the Chargers of last year. Great 3-4 D line and good DBs, but without Merriman, no pass rush. They had the 25th ranked D in the league last year, and were 31st against the pass. Without a husge addition to the pass rush, the Pats are in serious trouble next year.

Troll elsewhere.

When I open up a thread with the title "The Pats Are In Trouble" I expect 1 of 2 things

1. The Pats really are in trouble for some sort of transgression, or
2. Some poster's thoughts when they never attach in my opinion to the title.

Option 2 seems to punctuate this board.

frankly i dreaded it was 1.
glad its just another thread

:rip: :bricks:

whatever happened to the "sky is falling" emoticon? I think i'm gonna need it alot tonight.lol.

Maybe we can get a Big Dig "ceiling tile" emoticon instead.

I didn't say anything about drafting somebody.... particularly since the draft is over. I'm saying we came into this offseason with two large issues and one hasn't been dealt with yet.

You didn't say this but I do think people overvalue Crable like crazy. The fact that so many people point to him as the solution for our pass rush needs shows this.

ok, I got you now.

we entered the offseason w/a glaring hole because crable sux, and drafting somebody is useless, so we should trade for peppers.

I'm right with you on that one, brutha!

I do not believe the Pats addressed their most pressing need whatsoever in this draft or offseason. Last year was so frustrating to watch simply because of how bad they were on 3rd and long. I know I've said this before, but it got to the point where I actually expected teams to convert 3rd and longs on the Pats. I was a lot more surprised when they actually got stops in those situations. Now the Pats (as they are currently made up) go into next season without a proven pass rusher on the roster. Adalius is the only player with double digit sacks in his career, and he's done that 1 time.

I don't care how many DBs they pick up, QBs are going to have all day to pick them apart with the pass rushers they currently have. I think a real good defensive comparison would be the Chargers of last year. Great 3-4 D line and good DBs, but without Merriman, no pass rush. They had the 25th ranked D in the league last year, and were 31st against the pass. Without a husge addition to the pass rush, the Pats are in serious trouble next year.

BB obviously felt the problem for our defense last year was the secondary and he addressed it. And no pass rush? We have A.D. coming off one side and TBC (who can also rush the passer) coming off the other on passing downs. Would I have loved to see a Connor Barwin pick there? Sure. I actually even thought we should have stayed in the first round and taken Otah. But, having seen the way Belichick drafts, I have learned to not make snap judgments over the years. Thing is we do not know how this draft will pan out. But, unless you've won four Super Bowls, I'll be more inclined to go with BB's opinion.

I think you guys are fine. But, for what it's worth Bill Polian said tonight that this was a very weak draft for LBs.

th_Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

Crable was injured but was a speed edge rusher from Michigan. His only problem was his lower half, weak legs.

Reading this board, you'd think it was Betty Grable, rather than Shawn Crable in terms of how much these legs have been discussed...

I knew it. Blow it up.

This thread is dumb. There was no way they were going to get a 'proven' pass-rusher in the draft, since draft picks are, by definition, unproven. We have a better secondary, Crable and Redd have had a year to improve, and Mayo and Guyton are both likely to blitz a lot more this year, as they've had more time to become comfortable in this defense.

This thread is dumb. There was no way they were going to get a 'proven' pass-rusher in the draft, since draft picks are, by definition, unproven. We have a better secondary, Crable and Redd have had a year to improve, and Mayo and Guyton are both likely to blitz a lot more this year, as they've had more time to become comfortable in this defense.

A voice of reason from the wilderness! If it was all about adding one guy and now we're gonna dominate defensively the argument IA makes has some merit. It's 11 moving parts that mesh and gel....... I want a sack-monster as much as the next fan but it's about blending a defensive unit......

Excellent post, BradyFTW.......:cool:

How about fixing the D that consistently gave up 3rd and longs and cost the Pats getting in the playoffs. That would be a start.

Is the season starting tom??? no

The only LB that was avialable that I would have hoped the Pats draft was Clint Stintham, because Belichcik does not believe in Pete Caroll players..

The secondary is stocked, I look for a Willie Mcginnist or Jason Taylor to be signed before mini camp.. So chill

first off, they didn't get much pressure last year as the LB has to stay in coverage zones to make up for poor secondary play.

first off, they didn't get much pressure last year as the LB has to stay in coverage zones to make up for poor secondary play.

Exactly, it is that simple.. it is one of those chicken egg things.. the D backfield was horrendous and the pats have taken a big step towards making this better... and just because the draft is complete, does not mean the pats are.. the trade of Hobbs may have to do with freeing up money for someone else...

Don't worry. I still expect Jason Taylor to be a Patriot before training camp arrives. This team will go into the season LOADED.

Great, so since Crable hasn't been able to play a down yet, the Pats should have drafted *another* high pick OLB, just for the hell of it. Who cares if none of the high OLBs fit the Pats' system and interests?

Richard Seymour is a pretty decent pass rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore