PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Passing Game Going Forward Through 2016 (WR, TE and RB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, this is the best passing offense since 2007, and it is set through 2016. We need only to re-sign Vereen and Tyms.

mgteich note even close, but what you said was pretty funny.:D

I tend to agree that the offense, with these players, has a long way to go before hitting its ceiling. I'm cautiously optimistic about the continued development and involvement of Wright & Tyms (and hopefully Dobson as well).

I think, however, the fate of the 2014 team rests more on the defense achieving its full potential. If it becomes as good as many were predicting, than, even as is, the offense is easily good enough for this team to do some real damage come January.

2011. O-line is notably absent from your analysis, and the 2011 line of Light-Mankins-Connolly-Waters-Solder was one of the best. Not to mention that this was the apex of the TE Party with Gronk playing the best football of his career and Hernandez doing great. Welker and Brady were in their absolute primes, etc.

While the absence of a downfield WR was notable, it wasn't enough to stop the Pats from steamrolling everyone. That offense was an AFCCG Gronk injury away from dragging a legitimately bad defense to a SB win.

This year's offense may have a higher ceiling if the OL somehow turns into a strength, Gronk gets back to 100%, LaFell keeps up the good work and Wright evolves into a bigger role on the offense, but that's an awful lot of ifs.

Completely agree.

Way too many if's and suddenly 1-catch Tyms is a key cog of the future.

The potential is there but you completely ignored one of the most vital aspects of a passing offense which is the pass blocking, Brady has done much more with much less at the receiver position behind good lines.

This is why building a team is so complicated. We need to resign Revis and McCourty which will burn a lot of cash and it also appears that we need to spend big on the OL, Solder, Vollmer, and Stork are here to stay, Flemming will replace Cannon as the backup swing tackle, but neither guard position is set. I'd much rather pay for those spots than risk hitting big in the draft.

But, do we priortize much needed front-7 help and securing the back 4 keys or do we go big on solidifying the offensive line so that Brady has time to get it to his high-ceiling skill positions? We can't have it all, and the offense isn't quite close to set yet.

This offense will never hit the prolific levels of 2007 or 2011 and will never be as efficient as the 2010 offense with some major help.

Please list all the patriots who have ever contributed after spending their rookie year on IR.
Why does that matter at all? Plenty of players have contributed in year 2 after minimal to no contributions as rookie.

I want to understand your position. Is it your belief that none of Wendell, Fleming and Devey are capable of starting at OG in 2015?

We shall see how high a priority Belichick puts on the "need to overhaul both guard positions".

It seems that you have Cannon gone. I tend to agree.
Cannon has disappointed me this season I was very high on him and he had a great opportunity to make himself a long term option on our OL and he has not done anything to cease it.

i hope gronk is here forever

Why does that matter at all? Plenty of players have contributed in year 2 after minimal to no contributions as rookie.
I guess you don't understand. It's not about contributions in the first year. It is about being out of football, injured, for your first year, with no practices with the team. Sometimes a team has enough faith in a top draft choice for it to work. As someone pointed out, Watson was a contributor after sitting out his rookie year.

Maybe one of these guys will be the first EVER later round draft choice or UDFA to contribute to the patriots after spending their first year on IR. It certainly COULD happen.

I guess you don't understand. It's not about contributions in the first year.
Oh I get it, you think that players do not develop they are what they are from day 1 or never at all, you think Belichick cannot improve or develop any players and he is just wasting money with these players on injured reserve because obviously they suck if they cannot play with a torn meniscus. :p

Oh I get it, you think that players do not develop they are what they are from day 1 or never at all, you think Belichick cannot improve or develop any players and he is just wasting money with these players on injured reserve because obviously they suck if they cannot play with a torn meniscus. :p

Laugh all you want. There have been DOZENS of late patriot draft choices and UDFA's who have spent their rookie year on IR. In 15 years, not one has ever developed to be a contributor.

You must think that Belichick is a terrible failure to have missed on so many opportunities to develop these players.

And you also do not understand the IR rules. Belichick is NOT choosing to waste money on these players. These players are owed whatever their contracts calls for. The players cannot simply be cut. Obviously, some have injury clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft