PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The one thing keeping us from winning a championship this year is ______________

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply health.

2 things: injuries and pissing away home field advantage. For years I rejected the thought that Denver is a house of horrors for us. Last year's regular season loss there changed my mind. I feel confident that if we're healthy, we can win anywhere, but not that f###### place. Not saying it's impossible, but it's GD unlikely.

LOL...strange things happen in Denver - fluky plays, bad calls, and untimely injuries. But objectively, a healthy Patriots team is formidable pretty much anywhere.

We took the Broncos to OT with our practice squad, and were one missed extra point away from doing it again in the AFCC game.

Injuries, as was the case last year

Health and defense. We will know about this defense the next couple of weeks.

LOL...strange things happen in Denver - fluky plays, bad calls, and untimely injuries. But objectively, a healthy Patriots team is formidable pretty much anywhere.

We took the Broncos to OT with our practice squad, and were one missed extra point away from doing it again in the AFCC game.

Still wouldn't wanna play them in denver.

Why not a thread with a POSITIVE spin, a la "What factors are key to the Pats winning a championship this season?"
Actually, I think positioning it this way is even more positive--it has an assumption of victory, and asks what could stop them?

It's sort of like the news....people say the news is always bad, but if we ever reach a point where a headline is something like, "Local Couple Not Murdered in Home" we'll be in trouble.

Collins and Hightower

we need them

Health first; then…

On offense:

…The biggest concern is OL (obviously), especially RT.
Mason - Tre Jackson - Fleming could eventually become the best we can do at C - RG - RT by the end of this year. Still not sold on Andrews as a season-long/long-term answer at Starting Center; I believe that Shaq Mason could become an All-Pro at that position, and a healthy Tre Jackson under the full-time tutelage of Dante could make a passable starter.

…We also have need for a backup Power Back behind Blunt.

On defense:
...There is no depth at DT, including not one 3-technique. Vinnie Valentine & Woody Hamilton (sounds like a comedy duo) are Practice Squad bodies. It's sad how far the talent level at that position has fallen.

...Outside of Collins, the athleticism at LB consists of Mingo, who hardly plays a snap because he doesn't have LB instincts; and Elandon Roberts, whose shorter arms & smaller hands could allow opponents to more consistently bounce off him. Jonny Freeny is a STs/Practice Squad talent, and Shea McClellin is a
3-4 OLB dinosaur from a different age who is no longer a fit on our 4-3-4/4-2-5 defense.

…The worst-case scenario at CB - that none of Cy Jones, Justin Coleman or Jonathan Jones develops into a reliable #3 - is the current-case scenario, so far. JJones & JColeman look to be better-served, and maybe better-suited, on the PS. At minimum, a cheap veteran such as old friend Sterling Moore might have provided more consistency, toughness & leadership while the young UDFAs hone their craft off the field without losing their confidence. I'm really, really hoping that Eric Rowe can become a factor, especially on the outside, by the start of the POs. Otherwise, we could see a lot of Logan Ryan's face on TV, but not for good reasons.

…I'm also more nervous about our Place-kicker now than I was before the last AFCC game.

Last edited:
I'll let you fill in the blank. What do you feel is the greatest weakness of our team?

Through 5 games, I would say our great weakness is the secondary. Malcolm Butler has been playing through an injury (that hopefully doesn't worsen) and hasn't been his usual, explosive self. Logan Ryan has been fine for the most part, but can still be a little inconsistent. Same for Justin Coleman. And behind Ryan, Butler, and Coleman, I'm not sure how I feel about the depth at Cornerback.

Our game against Pittsburgh will be a true test for our pass defense.

Other potential weaknesses
1) The O-line
2) Lack of interior pass rush
3) Potential loss of health at key positions, especially on offense
I pretty much agree with everything you posted. The same things as the last few seasons. IMO

The one thing keeping us from winning a championship this year is

1a.) Boo boos
1b.) Teams with 5 excellent cover guys in the secondary and some ability to either collapse the pocket from the front or pressure Brady from the edges

Outside of injuries:

Secondary
Pass rush
Run D

I shudder to know what Pitt will do with Bell, Brown et el. I mean this team hasn't prevented a red zone TD yet this season. I know there is a long way, but I see Ben dropping dimes all over the field.

I'll let you fill in the blank. What do you feel is the greatest weakness of our team?

Through 5 games, I would say our great weakness is the secondary. Malcolm Butler has been playing through an injury (that hopefully doesn't worsen) and hasn't been his usual, explosive self. Logan Ryan has been fine for the most part, but can still be a little inconsistent. Same for Justin Coleman. And behind Ryan, Butler, and Coleman, I'm not sure how I feel about the depth at Cornerback.

Our game against Pittsburgh will be a true test for our pass defense.

Other potential weaknesses
1) The O-line
2) Lack of interior pass rush
3) Potential loss of health at key positions, especially on offense

Pass rush. The team can not get off the field on 3rd down right now. Teams like Denver and Minnesota can and will take advantage of that reguardless of where the game is played

Same thing that kept us from a championship last season: injuries.

Still wouldn't wanna play them in denver.

Definitely not, but Ill say this, had that game been played here, It was certainly not the gimme I thought it would of been if we played them in 2014 title game. We would have beaten them by two scores atleast in 2014. Last year was going to be a battle wherever it was played. I think this year is the same thing from what I have seen so far

1. Injuries - We have better depth then most teams but there is a limit to how much we can withstand.
2. Officiating - Officials are human and make mistakes and sometimes those can be huge.
3. Turnovers - Turnovers probably led us to losing home field advantage last year
4. Luck - Sometimes we just don't get the breaks. Tyree's helmet catch comes to mind.
5. Goodell - I don't trust that SOB. He will do anything in his power, legal or not to stop the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News