PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The one thing keeping us from winning a championship this year is ______________

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'll let you fill in the blank. What do you feel is the greatest weakness of our team?

Through 5 games, I would say our great weakness is the secondary. Malcolm Butler has been playing through an injury (that hopefully doesn't worsen) and hasn't been his usual, explosive self. Logan Ryan has been fine for the most part, but can still be a little inconsistent. Same for Justin Coleman. And behind Ryan, Butler, and Coleman, I'm not sure how I feel about the depth at Cornerback.

Our game against Pittsburgh will be a true test for our pass defense.

Other potential weaknesses
1) The O-line
2) Lack of interior pass rush (specifically, ineffective 3rd down defense)
3) Potential loss of health at key positions, especially on offense

Last edited:
Throwing away homefield. Let it get away in 2013 (Seattle would have beaten us anyways, too many injuries on offense) and stupidly threw it away last season.

The only answer is health. No major injuries to key players Brady, Gronk, Hightower, Collins, Soldier etc = Super Bowl. We are the best in the League by a fair margin but injuries can derail that fast see 2015 for example.

Throwing away homefield. Let it get away in 2013 (Seattle would have beaten us anyways, too many injuries on offense) and stupidly threw it away last season.

A healthy New England team (and a more healthy, stable O-line) doesn't lose that game in Denver.

But I agree. I do not like how we ended our season last year (losing 4 of our last 6 games in the regular season, to the Jets and 'phins, and losing to the Eagles at home in embarrassing fashion)

Logan Ryan
Possibly Gostkowski if he doesn't cut out the misses.
The O-line, of course.
Health (overall)

A healthy New England team (and a more healthy, stable O-line) doesn't lose that game in Denver.

But I agree. I do not like how we ended our season last year (losing 4 of our last 6 games in the regular season, to the Jets and 'phins, and losing to the Eagles at home in embarrassing fashion)
Denver's defense is sooo much faster at home. I think that was more of a problem than it was the injuries. I highly doubt they beat us in Foxborough. They basically got smoked last 3 times they came here. Couple of fluky fumbles and **** got them that 24-0 lead and then the refs carried them into OT.

Why not a thread with a POSITIVE spin, a la "What factors are key to the Pats winning a championship this season?"

Health, losing HFA and secondary play.

The secondary needs to play better and whoever we have to beat be it Pitt/Denver they will have good WRs and the secondary needs to make plays and not let those WRs take over the game.

Also we CAN NOT play denver @ denver. Playing Pitt @ Pitt is not ideal but okay.

Health
secondary

9da9fbb3e1d3df27d658ca73177d0b0d.jpg

What she with all the bagging in the secondary?
Other than the second half of the Miami game when they were protecting a big lead what have they done to make them a concern?

It seems that in a league where in the average game almost 50 passes are completed fans in this board seem to think allowing a completion is an epic disaster.

Denver's defense is sooo much faster at home. I think that was more of a problem than it was the injuries. I highly doubt they beat us in Foxborough. They basically got smoked last 3 times they came here. Couple of fluky fumbles and **** got them that 24-0 lead and then the refs carried them into OT.

Yeah, the Patriots have a poor record of playing at Denver. But much of last year was either fluky or directly attributable to injuries. So if we had to play there, I'd still like our chances

2 things: injuries and pissing away home field advantage. For years I rejected the thought that Denver is a house of horrors for us. Last year's regular season loss there changed my mind. I feel confident that if we're healthy, we can win anywhere, but not that f###### place. Not saying it's impossible, but it's GD unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes