PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Ravens Post Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have the GIF of the Slater celebration after he stopped the return and pantomimed burying the runner, then kicked the door open? That was hilarious.

They were bad calls. They were clearly bad calls. They were clearly bad calls that benefitted the Patriots. They were clearly bad calls that benefitted the Patriots and that Patriots fans would have been screaming about if things had been reversed. Always great getting your input though. :thumb:

Thats it? "They were bad calls, they were clearly bad calls." OK

My Cousin Vinny - 2.mov - YouTube

As always, another great job pleading your case and providing evidence.

Why? (10 char).

There's a GIF of it on Google. There's GIF's of the whole game. There was very minimal contact on that play and Smith certainly didn't hook Edelman. The most egregious contact was his arm brushing Edelman's arm. It was just two guys looking for the ball and a tripping that occurred because they were both neck and neck going down the field and Edelman changed his direction. Shouldn't have been called.

EDIT: Here it is...

829080329.gif

Last edited:
829080329.gif

It's similar to the Boyce play. It's not a call anyone enjoys seeing made. But it's not a bad call, according to the rule. Edelman changes direction towards the ball, Smith contacts him, changing Edelman's momentum.

There's a GIF of it on YouTube. There's GIF's of the whole game. There was very minimal contact on that play and Smith certainly didn't hook Edelman. The most egregious contact was his arm brushing Edelman's arm. It was just two guys looking for the ball and a tripping that occurred because they were both neck and neck going down the field and Edelman changed his route. Shouldn't have been called.

The contact doesn't have to be egregious. They are going 15+MPH, that's a lot of momentum, Edelman's trying to change direction - the contact made by Smith was enough to prevent Edelman from making it to the ball. If Smith doesn't want to get called for DPI, he shouldn't stick his hands out as soon as he sees the receiver who got by him changing direction.

829080329.gif

It's similar to the Boyce play. It's not a call anyone enjoys seeing made. But it's not a bad call, according to the rule. Edelman changes direction towards the ball, Smith contacts him, changing Edelman's momentum.

It's a terrible call, just as the Boyce call was terrible. Why Patriots fans can't admit that they got some breaks is probably something for the shrinks to obsess over, but bad calls are bad calls, and there have been enough of them around the league that it's inexcuseable for Patriots fans not to be able to spot them just because they involve their favorite team. It makes us look every bit as ridiculous as opposing fans claim we are.

It's a terrible call, just as the Boyce call was terrible. Why Patriots fans can't admit that they got some breaks is probably something for the shrinks to obsess over, but bad calls are bad calls, and there have been enough of them around the league that it's inexcuseable for Patriots fans not to be able to spot them just because they involve their favorite team. It makes us look every bit as ridiculous as opposing fans claim we are.

I'm plenty OK with admitting when the Pats get a break on a call. They got plenty of them yesterday. But the Edelamn call was not "bad." If the refs want to give us a million calls in our favor and we win that way, I will have no problem taking it, and admitting it. I also find it annoying when fans are incapable of admitting objectively that they were given a break. But it's equally annoying when fans are incapable of objectively admitting that a perceived bad call wasn't in fact all that bad, for fear of looking like a homer. The call against Smith gets called all day Sunday at football stadiums across the league. There was nothing shocking about it.

And since when should we care what opponents fan bases think of us? I gave up caring what other people think of us a long time ago when I became old enough to realize how stupid the average human being is.

Ravens got the make up call when Gregory brushed Torrey Smith's shoulder.

The contact doesn't have to be egregious. They are going 15+MPH, that's a lot of momentum, Edelman's trying to change direction - the contact made by Smith was enough to prevent Edelman from making it to the ball. If Smith doesn't want to get called for DPI, he shouldn't stick his hands out as soon as he sees the receiver who got by him changing direction.

How was Smith supposed to see that? He was looking up for the ball. Like it or not, the DB has the right to go after that ball as well. Edelman changed his course and Smith ran into him, which caused him to stick his arms out (which is a natural reaction when you make contact while running while not looking forward) in order to brace himself. Edelman fell a couple of steps after that.

Those are the kind of ticky tack pass interference calls that used to play a major hand in costing us games against the Colts when we would play them in Indy. I think a lot of you are calling it a good call because it benefitted the Pats.

829080329.gif

The Boyce call was an easy one because the defender was playing the man, not the ball. Smith seemed to at least eventually be playing the ball.
This one is based on the shove at the 3. I would bet the view from the sideline, where I think the ref was would make it look like more severe contact than this one.

Great Point BM: Edelman changing direction in stride caused that PI that the Refs would call 9 out of 10 times.

I'm plenty OK with admitting when the Pats get a break on a call...

You're trying to pretend that the Edelman call was not horrible. Obviously, you're not ok with admitting when the Pats get a break on a call.

Got through 9 pages before I got tired and had to go to the end. sorry if this was posted, but I need to give a big shout out to Ridley near the end of the game.

not only did the Ravens D know we were going to run, Ridley (on 2 drives) was stood up by multiple Raven defenders and he kept driving his legs forward to get extra yards (and first downs or likely conversions). While doing this, the Ravens were trying to strip the ball and he held onto it like his role was on the line (which it probably was).

A great game for him and I hope BB gets him a game ball for the extra effort.

Ridley after missing 2 games this season and being dropped on the depth chart for the last few weeks still has managed to run for 700 yards and 7 TD.

Those are the kind of ticky tack pass interference calls that used to play a major hand in costing us games against the Colts when we would play them in Indy. I think a lot of you are calling it a good call because it benefitted the Pats.

Never called it a good call. Just said it's not a bad one. If it were up to me, neither the Boyce or Edelman calls would be considered PI, but those are the rules.

How was Smith supposed to see that? He was looking up for the ball.

If he was looking up for the ball, he should've seen that it was headed toward the corner of the endzone, same place where Edelman had changed direction towards. It's not Edelman's fault Smith has slow hips.

You're trying to pretend that the Edelman call was not horrible. Obviously, you're not ok with admitting when the Pats get a break on a call.

Deus, you don't have to overcompensate on behalf of the people unwilling to call a spade a spade. There was contact, it changed Edelman's momentum. Whether you like the call or not, it's not appropriate to call it "horrible." That call gets made all the damn time. Frankly, I don't like it anymore than you do. But it's not an abnormal call.

Never called it a good call. Just said it's not a bad one. If it were up to me, neither the Boyce or Edelman calls would be considered PI, but those are the rules.

Those are plays with incidental contact that happen on roughly half of well covered pass plays. The flag needs to stay in the pocket there because there was absolutely nothing that Smith could have done to avoid the contact.

If he was looking up for the ball, he should've seen that it was headed toward the corner of the endzone that Edelman had changed direction towards. It's not Edelman's fault Smith has slow hips.

Those are split second reaction plays that don't do anything to excuse a bad call. Further, I'm not sure if you have had to play LB, corner, or safety, but when you're running leg in leg full speed with someone and are turning your head to look up at the ball, it's difficult to pinpoint the exactly trajectory of it until it's about 10-15 feet away from coming down. That ball was still very much in the air.

How was Smith supposed to see that? He was looking up for the ball.
No he wasn't because the ball was behind him.
He looked up after Edelman adjusted, but the contact occured while Edelman tracked the ball and Smith didn't.
Not that this means it was a good call, but your reasoning is wrong.

Like it or not, the DB has the right to go after that ball as well. Edelman changed his course and Smith ran into him, which caused him to stick his arms out (which is a natural reaction when you make contact while running while not looking forward) in order to brace himself. Edelman fell a couple of steps after that.
Look at it this way. Edelman ultimately is running what would be a post corner. The defender has outside leverage on the post, and gets run into when Edelman goes to the corner with the ball in the air.
If Smith were playing the ball he would have broke when Edleman did, not after he got in edlelmans way.

I think the reason this shouldn't be called is because the contact is incidental and not intentional.
The ball was thrown outside when the receiver was running to the post. You can't hold the DB accountable to minor contact that he attempts to avoid even though he is late to play the ball.
This one is very much like the intentional underthrow, except the change in momentum makes them look much more egregious.

That was a call that shouldn't be made. If and when it does happen to our DBs, I'm pissed off over it. Glad it happened in our favor yesterday, but this call and the call Boyce got against the Browns were ticky tack. Same with the call Gregory received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back