PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriot Day 1 draft thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
- I've said all along this draft class falls off a cliff at about pick #75. Belichick's willingness to part with his entire draft after that point seems to reinforce that notion. Don't expect the Pats to trade down to acquire later round picks.

- With DeCastro surprisingly sliding into the 20's, the Pats passing on him tells me that Waters isn't retiring and/or they think Gallery is a solid option at OG. Don't expect the Pats to look interior OL Friday since nobody would be "too good a value to pass up"...even at #62.

- Chandler Jones was a fine pick at an area of need. Hightower takes a little more imagination to appreciate. Hightower differentiates himself by his smarts and role flexibility. If Belichick flushes his recent vanilla schemes and gets back to his multiple/disguised defenses, Hightower should be an impact player.

- With that in mind, I look for more defensive options that are smart and flexible to be on the Pats radar Friday. More solid than spectacular. Maybe Kendall Reyes and Trumaine Johnson?

- Add Jones/Hightower to the return of Dowling/Pryor/Barrett and the additions of Fanene/Gregory...and this should be a vastly more athletic and deeper defense than what the Giants saw in the SB. All without changing the core identity (Wilfork, Mayo, Chung, McCourty) of the squad. Not even mentioning the additions Friday. If these guys can gel over a normal offseason program and stay healthy, they should be plenty good enough to complement their still potent offense and not need to be carried most games.

- Quick look at the Pats AFC foes after day 1:

Jets: Have no idea what happened between 2010 and 2011 to Coples, but the Jets better hope he returns to form because he could be a dog of Gholston proportions. Still need a LB (Upshaw is still available) and safety to keep their defense from slipping and forcing Sanbow (Techez?) to outscore opponents.

Bills: Gilmore is a solid pickup, particularly if he can be used to help defend Gronk/Hernandez. OT is still a gaping hole and they need to do whatever is necessary to walk away with Glenn or Martin Friday. If they can do that, pick up a solid LB prospect and get one of the many WRs still available...well the Bills could end up the key AFC East challenger this year.

Fins: Tannehill is fine but is unlikely to be a savior this year. After all, who is he going to throw to in the 10 milliseconds before the front-side rush smashes into his facemask? Still much work to do.

Ravens: You think the Ravens are getting tired of the Pats trading in front of them to get their guy (Hightower, Gronk)? They are getting ancient at key positions (Birk, Lewis, Reed) with not a lick of help in the pipeline. They need a big day on Friday.

Texans: Didn't understand the Mercilus pick for them. Nice to have a rush end rotation but was that a priority over OL, CB and WR? Lucky for them these are the deeper areas of this draft class so they should be able to find help on Friday.

Steelers: Had to take DeCastro and he is an immediate and significant upgrade, but they really need OT help and it likely won't be there when they pick next. They are getting older and more brittle on defense so expect them to target quality depth on Friday.

Broncos: Holes abound and early suspensions won't help. Have a boatload of picks but most fall after the talent cliff in this draft class.

Chargers: Ingram falling to them was a nice surprise. They need upgrades or quality depth at literally every position and not enough picks to fill them all. They still have that underachieving smell about them.

Chiefs: Hate the Poe pick for them particularly with the DT candidates available early day 2. How good would DeCastro have looked tearing open holes for Charles and Hillis? Returns from injury and a solid draft would get them back into the playoffs. Not sure Poe is a good start in that direction.

Raiders: :yawn2:

Re: Never thought I'd say this: now we need to trade back 48th to get more picks

They should sit pat and use both 2nds, IMO. WR and DB would be nice.

I think they can trade back incrementally to lock on to the right players, picking up picks as they go. There's a 10 pt difference between picks in the second round (using the old chart) so a couple of small trade backs could net a fifth and a sixth rounder. A nice way to add a couple of depth players.

Could the 1st rd turn out any better????

I wrote this as a reply in another thread but figured Id make it into a thread to see who people wouldve wanted instead.

I'm very happy with both picks. If you're not happy with them, who would you have wanted instead?? Here's my opinion.....

The draft just fell PERFECTLY for us.

1. Seattle taking Bruce Irvin. If they took Ingram instead, then the Chargers wouldve taken Jones/McClellan... then the Bears take whoever is remaining from Jones/McClellan. We wouldve been stuck with either Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus, both whom I think are better suited as 43 speed rushers.
Instead, Seattle reached on Irvin. Chargers then had their pick of the litter and took Ingram (not a bad choice). Bears then take McClellan... and we trade up to grab Chandler whom I believe Belichick wanted all along.

2. Jets taking Quinton Coples. Again, they could've thrown a major monkey wrench in our plans and started the run on pass rushers. If they had taken Ingram (which I think will come back to haunt them) it wouldve started the run on OLB/DE's earlier and we wouldve been screwed with San Diego and Chicago picking shortly after them.
Instead they take Coples, who I'm almost sure will be a bust in that mess of a locker room. He isn't a self-starter and the Jets don't have the veteran leadership or coaches to motivate him. He also plays the same position that their 2011 1st rd pick Wilkerson plays.

3. Steelers taking DeCastro to strengthen their terrible OLine. Everyone and their mom had Hightower mocked to the Steelers or Ravens... Decastro mustve been too good for them to pass up as Hightower wouldve been a perfect fit in a position of need for them. This allowed us to trade up to 25 for Hightower.

I don't think BB could've drawn it up anymore perfectly. I think he got 2 guys he wanted and didn't have to give up a whole lot.

+1 for snatching Hightower before the Ravens
+1 for Jets taking an unmotivated player who has boom or bust written all over him.
+1 for Dolphins reaching on boom or bust QB that won't have any weapons in Miami

We still have 2 picks in the 2nd rd and our only pressing needs are Safety and Cornerback depth. Maybe DT depth.

Last edited:
Re: Could the 1st rd turn out any better????

It's a very good point on Seattle and Bruce Irvin. If Chandler jones was a target all along, then they did get lucky. shea McLellin to the Bears and Kendall Wright to the Titans the two picks before the slot we traded in to were both potential landing spots for Jones. And then of course, DeCastro falling in the Steelers laps might have landed Hightower for us.

It's a very good point on Seattle and Bruce Irvin. If Chandler jones was a target all along, then they did get lucky. shea McLellin to the Bears and Kendall Wright to the Titans the two picks before the slot we traded in to were both potential landing spots for Jones. And then of course, DeCastro falling in the Steelers laps might have landed Hightower for us.

FWIW, I wouldn't have complained much if it had ended up the reverse (the Squealers get Hightower and the Pats get DeCastro).

FWIW, I wouldn't have complained much if it had ended up the reverse (the Squealers get Hightower and the Pats get DeCastro).
It's interesting when you consider, who needed the positional help more; Steelers on the OL or the Patriots in the front 7? The Steelers OL is horrific and frankly, I can't believe the Bears ignored their horrific OL given DeCastro was on the board.

The first round was the perfect illustration of an opportunity presenting itself and the Patriots having the balls to pull the trigger on deals and get it done. The interesting thing for me is looking at last year's draft and this year's draft. The Patriots picked up Ryan Mallett in the 3rd round, the Browns just picked up Weedon in the first. That's a wow moment for me and shows the brilliance of the Patriots staff. Oh and btw, the Patriots picked up some handy RB's later on in the draft. Some teams just spent firsts on similar talent.

Last edited:

I wouldve.. because we're already paying a ****load of money to an OG... and the defense needed help way more than offense

I'm praying that Jones and especially McClellin,Ingram turn out to be all-pros at one point - just for the sweet torture of the jets fans.

I think BB probably liked Ingram, McClellan, and Jones.

As soon as Ingram and McClellan were picked, they rushed to the phone to get the trade done for #21 Chandler Jones.

Any of the wiser posters on this forum have an analysis on Coples?

I haven't bothered to look him up too much...from what i can see he is a good athlete with character issues? And how does he fit in the 3-4 ? He seems a bit of a tweener to me(much like gholston was in that D).

Last edited:

I was hoping for a trade involving sending Tom Brady to the Colts for the #1 pick and drafting Andrew Luck who would have had a great future in NE but it didnt work out,Brady is too old and we needed to move on to younger blood :mad:

I haven't bothered to look him up too much...from what i can see he is a good athlete with character issues? And how does he fit in the 3-4 ? He seems a bit of a tweener to me(much like gholston was in that D).

He admitted he "didn't try very hard" in his Senior year...

He rated his Senior year a "C for effort"

Better suited as a 43 DE. Only 280lbs. Too stiff for OLB. where does he fit in 34?

Played well at the Senior Bowl when money was on the line. Kind of like how Albert Haynesworth played well for 1 year when his contract was about to expire.

You know what kind of character he is. Will never reach his full potential until its time to get paid, and then will go to whoever offers him the most money. Once he gets paid will get lazy like Haynesworth.

I could see him succeeding somewhere like Chicago. They play a 43 and he wouldve been surrounded by veteran players like Peppers/Urlacher. But on the Jets, where its a circus? it has bust written all over it

Last edited:

he will play down on the line...talented...played alongside Wilkerson and Wilkerson admits Coples is a better player....for whatever THAT is worth.....after a bland season he showed up at the Senior Bowl and dominated...which only means he decided to turn it on when he smelled the money...sounds like a Haynesworth type mentality...is THIS the kid you want to throw into the mix on THIS collection of wingnuts and wackjobs, amidst the Tebow/Sanchez media war?...he's suddenly going to become a self starter on Team Self?

I'll believe it when I see it...

I live in Raleigh so I've seen plenty of UNC game including a couple in person. Coples is completely baffling. In 2010 he was thrust into a full-time role with the player discipline issues and he was a monster. Couldn't be effectively blocked with one guy and was generally a pain on every run and pass play. Basically he was a difference maker in the Peppers/Mario Williams mold (though much more raw).

In 2011, it was like he was popping downers before every game. Unless his initial move was a clear victory, he wasn't a factor. It clearly wasn't anything physical.

If he reverts to 2010 form and works to refine his game, the sky is the limit. I hear your "tweener" observation but I don't think that matters. He has the physical makeup that you can put him anywhere on the line and he will be a mismatch.

My big question is that if football wasn't important enough for him when he was playing for "free" (though who knows at UNC), what makes anyone believe it will be important for him now that he is a millionaire. If he was affected by the goings-on with the UNC investigations and coaching changes, he is now thrown into the Jets reality show.

Bottom line...his floor is Gholston and ceiling is Peppers. How is that for range?

....Chiefs: Hate the Poe pick for them particularly with the DT candidates available early day 2. How good would DeCastro have looked tearing open holes for Charles and Hillis? Returns from injury and a solid draft would get them back into the playoffs. Not sure Poe is a good start in that direction.

Raiders: :yawn2:

DT was their biggest need, by a mile. They've got five for the O-line, since the signing of Winston.

Albert
Asamoah
Hudson
Lilja
Winston

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents