PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriot Day 1 draft thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is...for now. We'll see what they do with the two seconds tomorrow.

Hey all - just heard one of the talking heads say that after the Hightower move the Pats have no picks on Saturday. Is that true?

Barring any trades, that's correct. Today's trades leave them with nothing after the second.

I'm beyond shocked but the thought of these two picks is making me happy........kinda stiff prices but they are worth it and BB agrees...............

Something tells me they might stay put tomorrow with maybe a slight trade down to get 3rd back........Alshon Jeffery, Randle or Hill would be nice with the best DB available as well (Jenkins, Taylor, Hosley, Tru Johnson)...........

Last edited:
It is...for now. We'll see what they do with the two seconds tomorrow.
To be honest, I'm fine with them using both seconds on DB's and being done with the draft (assuming they are impact players and potential starters from Day 1).

I'm over planning for the future. The Patriots need to start winning Superbowls whilst we still have Tom Brady.

I totally love this draft tonight. It's been a long time since I was really happy with a Patriots 1st round.

Now, if we can get Smith or Martin at safety- that will complete me.:rocker:

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Was just surprised to hear that and assumed the guy was mistaken. I guess it makes good sense as the team has plenty of depth and is in a win now mode with Brady getting a bit older.

Excellent first two picks, best of luck in R2.

ProFootballWeekly.com - Draft Prospect - Dont'a Hightower

Positives: Powerfully built with exceptional size, body thickness and take-on strength for the inside. Plays big. Can dominate fullbacks at the point of attack — explosive on contact. Extremely stout base. Plays square to the line and stones iso-lead blockers in the hole (see LSU). Can stack, shed and swallow ballcarriers. Physical tackler with knockback power in his body. Reroutes and can control tight ends at the line of scrimmage. Athletic mover for his size. Versatile — has played multiple positions and has the football smarts to line up the defense and handle any LB position (knows everyone’s assignments). Highly instinctive. Has lined up with his hand in the dirt and can set the edge and swat blockers out of the way. Highly respected, defensive signalcaller. Solid character. Works hard, is committed to the game and is well-versed in an NFL-style defense.
Negatives: Does not always sell out around piles and appears to be protecting himself too much — leaves some production on the field. Can improve his hand use disengaging. Limited range and production in coverage — can be outflanked by speed backs. Has some heaviness in his movement — weight has pushed 270 pounds and might require monitoring. Lacks elite speed and short-area burst to bend the edge. Can expand his pass-rush arsenal. Can do a better job coming to balance and wrapping in space. Average book smarts. Durability requires evaluation.
Summary: A big-bodied, physical run stuffer with deceptive movement skill and edge-setting strength to play outside, Hightower took time to recover from the ACL injury he suffered two years ago and has shown a tendency to play too cautiously since returning to the field. Is regarded as a two-down 3-4 “Mike” linebacker by some NFL teams but might fit best outside in an odd front given his physicality to control the line of scrimmage and stack the corner. His ability to kick outside on third downs enhances his value. Is scheme-diverse and versatile and has Pro Bowl potential when healthy. Could be most attractive to a big, physical, imposing front used by a team like the Jets, Packers, 49ers or Texans.

ProFootballWeekly.com - Draft Prospect - Chandler Jones

Positives: Has outstanding size with rare arm length to disrupt a quarterback’s vision. Plays big. Uses his hands with violence. Swats blockers out of the way with a strong club move and has power in his body. Good quickness off the ball. Plays with good balance and protects himself from cut blocks. Above-average anchor strength — can stack the corner. Takes long strides, flattens down the line and closes fast. Good effort and energy — keeps working to come free. Has NFL pedigree.
Negatives: Lacks elite edge burst. Average lateral agility (reflected in shuttle times at the Combine). Tends to play a bit upright and could expand his pass-rush repertoire. Is not an explosive tackler. Bench-pressed 225 pounds only 22 times at the Combine and must continue to get stronger to set the edge in a 3-4 front. Average career sack production -— only has 10 career sacks.
Summary: Highly athletic, vine-armed, havoc-wreaking pass rusher with rare dimensions and a developing frame to fill out and become a pass-rushing force. Scouts have compared him to Arizona Cardinals 2008 second-round pick Calais Campbell, yet he offers even more intriguing versatility, with potential to disrupt from either side and grow into a stout anchor.

Never thought I'd say this: now we need to trade back 48th to get more picks

We really need to trade back out of the 48th pick now to pick up a third and possibly a fourth or fifth.

Re: Never thought I'd say this: now we need to trade back 48th to get more picks

We really need to trade back out of the 48th pick now to pick up a third and possibly a fourth or fifth.
it wouldnt surprise me a bit if they did.;)

Re: Never thought I'd say this: now we need to trade back 48th to get more picks

Still really need to make an improvement in the secondary.

Shut. Up. You.

Absolutely nothing BB does would surprise me.

After tonight.

No thanks, there are going to be some really good players on the board and the patriots should grab one more really good prospect and call it a draft. Go UDFA and call it a weekend.

To be honest, with these two first round picks and how active this team was in free agency, I'd be fine with them making one or two more picks and calling it a draft.

If this draft is as bad as some say it is, this year's UDFA might be worth the same as late round picks.

WOW!!!! Can you say best LB Core in the NFL?!

Not hardly. It doesn't compare to the Texans group. I like what the Pats have done, but let's not get carried away.. Yet..

27 and third-rounder. A lot to move up six spots, but BB thought it was worth it apparently.

Yeah, you know that Belichick! Goes crazy on draft day to make a splash.

They don't. They really don't.

I agree. There will be many good players to sign as FA, using the extra 10 spots. There's not much difference between 6/7 round and FA. I'd rather they use both 2nds on a DB and G or WR and go home.

They should sit pat and use both 2nds, IMO. WR and DB would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST