PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official, "I was completely fooled by the Statue of Liberty Play" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't actually fool me, but I was extremely impressed, and couldn't believe how smoothly they pulled it off. It was also a great play call, and well designed.

Last edited:
for those of us watching on the tube, the camera angle from behind kept the ball visible throughout the play, so when he jumped up i thought he was trying to decoy the secondary into thinking that the ball had sailed over his head since the guys in the box had already bitten on the run fake. but, if you were looking at the play from the front or sides and not the rear, it must have been completely fooling. great job.

Last edited:
Yup, completely fooled. I thought it was the direct snap to Faulk when they lined up, and obviously the Jags did too. Brilliant call and sell by Brady.

Is it on YouTube anywhere? I want to see it with the CBS feed, for the reaction of the announcers. I had it on mute at the time.

for those of us watching on the tube, the camera angle from behind kept the ball visible throughout the play, so when he jumped up i thought he was trying to decoy the secondary into thinking that the ball had sailed over his head since the guys in the box had already bitten on the run fake. but, if you were looking at the play from the front or sides and not the rear, it must have been completely fooling. great job.

The play doesn't work EXCEPT for some BRILLIANT coaching by the Pats. They KNEW the Jags KNEW we use the direct snap in some of those situations. They baited them perfectly. The Jags were probably told all week, "Look out for the direct snap" Well they looked out for it; GOTCHA

I loved how even to commentaters were fooled by it on TV they thought Faulk had the ball too. "wait Brady still has it"

actually, I'll give Jim Nantz credit, because he called it out pretty much right away by saying "Brady still has the ball"... gotta give some love to Josh McD for the terrific playcall there...

When it fools the camera man and the game announcers, you know that it is a good fake.

I was never fooled for a minute...what happened?

When it fools the camera man and the game announcers, you know that it is a good fake.

Actually, it DIDN'T fool the camera man, while the direct snap play usually does.

Or maybe it was just the producer we should be talking about. Obviously, there are multiple cameras, presumably each with a set responsibility, plus somebody like a producer who decides which one is on the air real-time.

Last edited:
By the way -- this WASN'T a classic Statue of Liberty play.

Merril Hodge wasn't that impressed.

He said that only one person was faked out - but it happened to be the guy covering Welker.

I saw the ball stay in Brady's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back