PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**The official Day 3 Patriots Draft Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like this pick because unless Crumpler isn't coming back, he may not even make the roster. He's Crumplers long term replacement, but there are a lot of players on the board that I like much better. At least we know now for sure, BB is commiting to running the ball in 2011. Bigger O-line, another blocking TE and two RB's, I don't think Brady will be airing it out this season. I think BB is trying to start the trend of turning the NFL back into a running league.

Yeah, that'd be beyond dumb. We have arguably the greatest QB of all time under center; a little more balance between running and passing might be okay, but turning the Patriots into a running team would be detrimental to their success.

The Patriots are already going to be carrying an extra QB this year. Where do you propose to stash this TE? Are you thinking he'll stay on the squad as is, are you expecting expanded rosters, or do you see this as a future practice player?

Practice guy that Coach Crumpler will coach until he hangs it up.

I think we need a holder. You can't expect Space Emperor Zoltan to hold forever can you?

Actually it's shaping up pretty well.

That a boy BB...make those analysts scratch the remaining hairs on their heads off....by taking a TE there....definitely a position of NEED....Brilliant! :eek:)

I don't like this pick because unless Crumpler isn't coming back, he may not even make the roster. He's Crumplers long term replacement, but there are a lot of players on the board that I like much better. At least we know now for sure, BB is commiting to running the ball in 2011. Bigger O-line, another blocking TE and two RB's, I don't think Brady will be airing it out this season. I think BB is trying to start the trend of turning the NFL back into a running league.

well, who we go to "air" it out to ? Branch, Tate, Welker ? Aint nobody there to stretch the field. Thanks Chad Useless Jackson

WesBunting

Love #Patriots TE Lee Smith, guy looks like a OT, nasty in line blocker, can dominate in the run game, lil Steve Maneri to him #NFLDRAFT

It's clear now BB was offended by all those who said his defense needed to improve.

The Patriots are already going to be carrying an extra QB this year. Where do you propose to stash this TE? Are you thinking he'll stay on the squad as is, are you expecting expanded rosters, or do you see this as a future practice player?

Practice player ... he needs a lot of work coming from a small school program.

Just stashing this here to save a post.

Competitiveness/ Toughness 1

Relentless and can get under defender's skin. Plays angry and finishes when gets defenders off balance. Not afraid to work the middle of the field. Runs hard after the catch and fights for yards after contact. Turns and looks for someone to hit when quarterback scrambles.

Last edited:
I think we need a holder. You can't expect Space Emperor Zoltan to hold forever can you?

I proposed this earlier after we took Ridley as a gunner, but Stl ruined it by taking Austin Pettis, who was the top holder on my board.

Smith was the only TE I had on my list and I had him because he's a long snapper. Hopefully he can come in and take the LS job and serve as a backup TE.

Practice guy that Coach Crumpler will coach until he hangs it up.
You don't usually draft guys in the fifth rounde if you plan on trying to sneak them to the PS. If he is any good he will be claimed by other teams long before he makes it through waivers.

Last edited:
So in a "defensive draft" the patriots went.

OL
CB
RB
RB
QB
OL
TE

Lol... this is crazy... But i Love how they sured up the O-line for years and the running backs...

My favorite pick so far is Dowling... guy looks like cromartie

Mayock just said Lee Smith is the BEST inline blocking TE in the draft.

Yeah, that'd be beyond dumb. We have arguably the greatest QB of all time under center; a little more balance between running and passing might be okay, but turning the Patriots into a running team would be detrimental to their success.

You sure about that? Pats won Superbowls when their main weapon was the run. Names like Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon ring a bell?

Pats scored prodigious amounts of Points through the Air in 2007 and 2010, yet had zero Superbowl trophies as a result of it.

Pats draft focus this year is clear - Get Big and Nasty on Offense. Pound the football in 2011. An effective running game will also make the Play Action that much more effective for Tom Brady.

Last edited:
Mayock just said Lee Smith was a savvy pick calling him the best blocking TE in this draft. Could also put on some weight and move to Tackle if need be.

you r half right

we establish run... Welker and Gronk/Hernandez will BURN that defense Edelman will prosper to.

ex Crumpler now. We save Cap space.
unless roster expands.

The guys on NFL Network love the Smith pick. Especially Coach Kelly who said he was Marshall's best player when he faced Cinncy last year.

So in a "defensive draft" the patriots went.

OL
CB
RB
RB
QB
OL
TE

Lol... this is crazy... But i Love how they sured up the O-line for years and the running backs...

My favorite pick so far is Dowling... guy looks like cromartie

Makes sense ... going against the grain there is always value.

Smith was the only TE I had on my list and I had him because he's a long snapper. Hopefully he can come in and take the LS job and serve as a backup TE.

Mayock thinks they'll add 20-25lbs to him and turn him into OL :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick