PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official: Day 2 Patriots Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAY TWO -SHOULD WE HAVE EXPECTED MORE?
trade for 2 #2's in 2010
Tate for 2010 (a great value)
3rd-4th round OLB value McKenzie (hammy problem at the combine)
Orhnberger, a backup OG to compete with Yates

Butler could have been gotten without making the Oher trade, which was my point yesterday. Nothing that happened with the defenders yesterday, pick-wise, required the Oher trade. The stuff going on today is where that comes into play. That falls under the "making up for" part, but Butler has nothing to do with it.

Well, technically I suppose that's true, but that's not the point. The trade of #23 basically led to the acquisition of two extra picks, one in the second round and one in the third. Could they have picked Butler anyway and also picked Oher? Sure. But then you're giving up the two second-rounders next year, basically.

What the Pats are saying is that they would rather have Butler, Chung, Brace, Vollmer, Tate and a 2010 second-rounder than Oher, Chung, Butler and Brace. The question going forward is how much better than Vollmer will Oher be, and will that difference outweigh the contribution of Tate and the 2010 2nd-rounder.

Maybe Oher will be a Pro Bowler, but if Vollmer is even a serviceable tackle it's almost sure to be a good deal for New England.

DAY TWO -SHOULD WE HAVE EXPECTED MORE?
trade for 2 #2's in 2010
Tate for 2010 (a great value)
3rd-4th round OLB value McKenzie (hammy problem at the combine)
Orhnberger, a backup OG to compete with Yates
What DID you expect?

And 'Zona takes "Pee-Wee" Herman Johnson.

Last edited:
I never saw a consensus on this question, but who's better, Chung or Delmas? Did we get hosed by the ... Lions?

If Delmas was on the board, would we have drafted him over Chung? They're both, AFAIK, big hitting safeties.

Don't be surprised if Belichick looks toward UConn again in the 6th and 7th rounds with DE/OLB Julius Williams and SS Dahna Deleston.

Steelers just drafted Joe Burnett. Gimps.

I never saw a consensus on this question, but who's better, Chung or Delmas? Did we get hosed by the ... Lions?

If Delmas was on the board, would we have drafted him over Chung? They're both, AFAIK, big hitting safeties.

Delmas is a FS.

We're on the clock.

From Twitter:

With the 34th pick in the 5th round, the Patriots select OL George Bussey from Louisville.

"Who".....

I hoped that we could get two 2010 #2's and two real prospects. We did better. Tate is a top talent who is a potential starter and returner. McKenzie is a 3-4th round prospect.

Of the rest, I expected little help. Ornberger seems like the annual OL for someone else.

What DID you expect?

From Twitter:

With the 34th pick in the 5th round, the Patriots select OL George Bussey from Louisville.

GOOD. I like the OL picks. They appear to fit OUR SYSTEM. That's important.
Dante has some new students for his school.

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
Who?

Scratching head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back