PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official: Day 2 Patriots Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slater for me. Training camp will prove it, but that's my thinking.

Yes, but we traded #199 to Oakland when we moved up to take Brace. We don't have it any more, so only 2 6ths now.

J D Sal

I'd like to see a punter like Huber or Moorstead added with one of those.

Nothing against Ellis, but this was a pure football move. Ellis had peaked in his ability. He wasn't getting any better. Given the logjam at CB, it makes sense to remove his cap contribution and start moving in some of the first and second year players while letting Springs and Bodden help to hold down the fort for 2009. Great move!

That makes good sense

I don't think this is a pure football decision. If it were, Hobbs definitely has a space on this team. We're not going to easily replace his KR abilities.
Greg Lewis, Butler, Tate (if healthy), and/or Slater can all come in and be serviceable replacements at KR for Hobbs.

Ellis is one of the best KR in the league.

For that reason alone, you want to keep him.

But this team is up against the salary cap, and a $3 million KR is a huge luxury.

Still, he should be worth more than, for instance, Dante Hall.

I don't think this is a pure football decision. If it were, Hobbs definitely has a space on this team. We're not going to easily replace his KR abilities.
You said it correctly. They weren't going to pay that cap hit for an excellent KR who was getting abused by taller, faster receivers as a CB. They have enough talent to fill in for the KR position. It was a pure football move; however, there could be other intangibles that contributed to this decision. Had he started to make noise about this being his last year on the contract?

Greg Lewis, Butler, Tate (if healthy), and/or Slater can all come in and be serviceable replacements at KR for Hobbs.

I'm looking for excellence, though, not service.

Again, not criticizing the Patriots here, but if the cap were no concern, then Hobbs has a place on this team.

Great pick by the Bears. I forgot about Johnny Knox until they picked him.

Is Tate supposed to be ready for TC? Any insight on his timetable?

A lot of Slater/Ventrone/Spann/Aiken/Lewis are going to wind up gone. The roster numbers won't work out otherwise.

It could be Butler, but it will probably be Tate eventually. Don't forget Wheatley is also a returner. And Maroney.

Cedric Peerman is still on the board; he'd be an interesting pick at this point

Odds are good Brandon Tate won't see the field in 2009.

Only sure question is that Brady is still injured all 2009 season. A draft like this its only searching for number 1 in 2010, and Bradford is coming Boston

Read carefully class: This is the kind of post that gets people a three day ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back