PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official: Day 2 Patriots Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with this move as long as we actually use the cap money we're saving.

Strange deal. I can't imagine he would have requested a trade or that BB would have humored him.

I wonder if this was planned from before the draft or if it only happened when the draft broke and netted them Butler.

Odd that we traded for picks in this draft. Maybe they'll be rolled over further.

With the 123rd overall pick (4th round) the Patriots select Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State.

Final year of his deal.

Thanks, answered my question. Hobbs has a pretty big ego and i don't think they saw him as a starter, but as a nickel when drafted.

Nevertheless, the guy had some skills and never gave less than 100% ever, and you cannot ask for more. saw an opportunity and ran with it.

Good luck Ellis, I wish all players had your guts and enthusiasm (with a little less of the hot dog:D).

Ellis Hobbs flipped for Rich Ohrnberger and a 6th round pick. Cool. Who is this guy btw? :p :D

Interestingly high turnover at kick returner. Lewis and Tate both in. If I were Slater I'd be very nervous, even with Hobbs gone.

Yes, I realize Slater wasn't actually doing much in the way of kick returning, because he was so bad at it. But the point still applies ...

I wonder if this was planned from before the draft or if it only happened when the draft broke and netted them Butler.

Has to be the latter and they were clearing room at the top by underselling their only contractual assets (Hobbs on rookie deal) so they could address other positions.

Ornberger, I've watched a lot of him.

He's a mean cuss, and will be/could be this generation's Sean Farrell.

A pug, not the most athletic guy, but nasty.

Analysis

Positives: Strong mauler with nasty attitude. ... Quick and strong hand placement inside his man's jersey. ... Good enough foot quickness to angle his tackle inside to create a hole or to reach linebackers at the second level. ... Handles quick linebackers well at the point of attack. ... Quick set in pass pro. ... Anchors well against most tackles and will toss them to the ground if they give up their leverage. ... Blocks well on the move, opening cutback lanes for the running back.

Negatives: Undersized, lacking height and width, but a bit large in the middle. ... Is not a great athlete. ... Will struggle to move larger tackles. ... Doesn't have a dominant punch. ... Whiffs against blitzing linebackers and can be over-armed by taller, quicker tackles. ... Would be a better fit at center than guard if he can make the move.

Mauler type.

Brady should appreciate good pass protection. Maroney will appreciate the cutback lanes. Guess Lomo's not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what we gave up to move up to 123.

Ornberger, I've watched a lot of him.

He's a mean cuss, and will be/could be this generation's Sean Farrell.

A pug, not the most athletic guy, but nasty.

Nasty is what we need there. Yess!! 2 OL's this draft,I'm psyched. It's time too-we need to start training some new blood there.

I love this draft!

137 + 141 (for Hobbs) for Ohrnberger and 198. Giving the Pats five more picks to go, two untradeable.

The Eagles have made some good moves with this draft. If Eli continues to be Eli without Burress, the Eagles could win that division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes