PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
From that noted Patriots hater and Mallett nemesis Mike Reiss:

Mayock said that Mallett proved he is a starting quarterback.

Here are a few thoughts from this perspective:

Mallett's arm can be mesmerizing at times. From a pure arm strength standpoint, he is indeed a starting-caliber quarterback. He has made a throw or two in each of the first nine training camp practices that reminds me of Drew Bledsoe.
Obviously a lot more goes into quarterback play and this is where today's Mallett buzz gets away from me a bit.

One of the things I have learned from listening to Bill Belichick over the last 15 years is that a huge part of playing the position is managing the team in a game setting, factoring in the play clock, ever-evolving situations, and stringing together a consistent series of plays.

I think that is hard to judge in this joint-practice setting.

So while we are interested to see if Mallett can take the next step in preseason action, and have liked what we have seen at times in camp, we didn't come away with the same strong feelings about Mallett as Mayock did Monday.

A few Ryan Mallett thoughts - espnBoston

His vile hatred for poor Ryan just oozes forth with every word, and he's clearly the leader of a cabal plotting to destroy Mallett, no matter what the cost. Might as well just call Reiss "The evil one".

Just keep Reiss away from MY Danny...I'll...I'll...I'll really go and do something...I'm a submarine captain you know...and after my 5 and half tours of duty in Uruguay I know my way around the llama ranch...I'm a real dung hoe mf'er...

Given all of the chatter on yesterday's performance for the-quarterback-who-is-not-tom-brady, I just scoured a bunch of write-ups, focusing on Redskins reporters. I found that they painted a surprisingly consistent picture:

He threw a pick or two and seemed to still struggle with decisiveness, decision-making, and command of the offense, but you couldn't help but be impressed with his arm strength and lovely deep ball.

So anyway, that's the status update on Robert Griffin. (Who else?)

Given all of the chatter on yesterday's performance for the-quarterback-who-is-not-tom-brady, I just scoured a bunch of write-ups, focusing on Redskins reporters. I found that they painted a surprisingly consistent picture:

He threw a pick or two and seemed to still struggle with decisiveness, decision-making, and command of the offense, but you couldn't help but be impressed with his arm strength and lovely deep ball.

So anyway, that's the status update on Robert Griffin. (Who else?)

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Hooman was not on the field in the last practices, our TE depth cart looks even worse. I think Jones will end up making the team, even raw.

Today: Joint practice in Virginia
Wednesday: Joint practice in Virginia
Thursday: Preseason Game 1
August 12th: Joint practice with Eagles

Does anyone know if the team will have any public practices between preseason game 1 and the joint practices with the Eagles next Tuesday?

Just read a good article on Justin Jones, Sounds like he is coming around and improving every time out. This kid could turn out to be a big steal for a UDFA. Thursday night will be a good indicator of how far he has come. My 2014 binky. GO PATS

Hooman was not on the field in the last practices, our TE depth cart looks even worse. I think Jones will end up making the team, even raw.

Ya because there is a significant fall off between his 12 rec 136 yards 1 TD to the other TEs not named Gronk. I bet you if Watson or Jones stuck and were given as much playing time (57% of the offensive snaps) as Hoomanawanui last year they would easily equal what he did and would probably surpass it.

Hell Dudfield put up 5 rec 63 yards in 13% of offensive snaps with the Jets. Which at that pace playing 57% of the snaps he would have had about 20 rec 250 yards.

Hoomananwui is a complete non-factor as a receiving TE. Seriously Jones or Watson would probably be an upgrade over him receiving wise.

According to a note in today's Globe, Hooman's injury is believed to be minor.

I bet you if Watson or Jones stuck and were given as much playing time (57% of the offensive snaps) as Hoomanawanui last year they would easily equal what he did and would probably surpass it.

It strikes me that I've barely heard Watson's name lately. Even with Gronk and Hooman both out of practice, he seems to be invisible behind Jones & Williams. Doesn't bode well.

It strikes me that I've barely heard Watson's name lately. Even with Gronk and Hooman both out of practice, he seems to be invisible behind Jones & Williams. Doesn't bode well.

On the plus side.. we havent been hearing negative things about him. :)

Im not sure if most of the pundits can recognize or appreciate (or how much they'd comment on) the kind of quiet efficiency or steady improvement that Belichick looks for.

That said.. best case scenario.

Ya because there is a significant fall off between his 12 rec 136 yards 1 TD to the other TEs not named Gronk. I bet you if Watson or Jones stuck and were given as much playing time (57% of the offensive snaps) as Hoomanawanui last year they would easily equal what he did and would probably surpass it.

Hell Dudfield put up 5 rec 63 yards in 13% of offensive snaps with the Jets. Which at that pace playing 57% of the snaps he would have had about 20 rec 250 yards.

Hoomananwui is a complete non-factor as a receiving TE. Seriously Jones or Watson would probably be an upgrade over him receiving wise.

I agree also TE D.J. Williams is having a Great Camp by all reports he would be the perfect move TE with his size/speed he should give LB's and Safeties fits. I would love for the dept chart to look like this whien its all said and done Gronk - D.J. Williams and Justin Jones. Hooman doesn't do anything well and should be off the official roster and on speed dial in a moments notice. If Justin Jones keeps progressing he might be a keeper I would love for him to lose 20lbs which might increase his speed some he's very agile for a Big Man and should be a terror in the red zone with his catch radius. Asa Watson unless he shows something in Preseason should be PS material.

Last edited:

I don't think he is a stud receiving the ball either but he's good in block duty and knows the system, has experience and the respect of BB and his teammates. Maybe he has a low target % for different reasons. If he catches 2 passes per game in this season, among with all the other receivers and TE, it will be a good contribution, I want to see Brady spreading the ball.

And if you are going to multiply everything by 4, then 4 catches for 100 yards are going to come from Josh Cribbs out of the wildcat when no defender bothers to cover Sudfeld. Another 4/84 would come on pick plays where Sudfeld is schemed to be wide open.

There really wasn't anything he did last season that Hoomanawanui couldn't do. The Patriots just never bothered to scheme Hooman open the way the Jets did with Sudfeld.

@AlbertBreer: Belichick on rule changes re: contact "I have no idea. I don't have the slightest idea. You have to talk to the guys throwing the flags."

I don't think he is a stud receiving the ball either but he's good in block duty and knows the system, has experience and the respect of BB and his teammates. Maybe he has a low target % for different reasons. If he catches 2 passes per game in this season, among with all the other receivers and TE, it will be a good contribution, I want to see Brady spreading the ball.

Many Times last year minus Gronk the growing pains of Rookie WR's and injured Danny Amendola...yeah I think Brady could have used him. Hoomand didn't cease the opportuninty he is what he is which is a Jag.

Today: Joint practice in Virginia
Wednesday: Joint practice in Virginia
Thursday: Preseason Game 1
August 12th: Joint practice with Eagles

Does anyone know if the team will have any public practices between preseason game 1 and the joint practices with the Eagles next Tuesday?
I would assume so just not scheduled yet.
Two days off following the game is likely 4 would be surprising. I assume they could be back out as soon as Sat but Sunday is probably the most likely. Maybe they won't be open to the public but I assume they will be and they will likely update the schedule after the game.

I think we tend to underestimate the value of a journeyman like Hooman who now brings significant NFL experience to the back up role. Thee is a lot to be said for actually knowing the offense and what he is supposed to do on each play at NFL game speed. It's easy to make fantasy football evaluations, but harder to think like Belichick ("what responsibilities do I really need from my back up tight end?"). It could be that a guy who can reliably line up in the right place and make a block is what you really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST