PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes ppl have to remmeber to compare Mallett vs other QBs NOT named Brees, Manning or Brady. IF Mallett had a better day then Rg3, then Mallett has starting caliber.

Jeff Howe on the other hand is saying its his best camp. I think a pick in and of itself isn't a big deal in training camp, plus picks aren't always on the QB. Again, I am not saying Mayock is more right just that either opinion isn't all that meaningful. Remember how everyone thought Cassel look horrible in 2008 camp?

Well it's his 4th camp and going by memory his other 2 were nothing to write about. I leave his rookie year out because the lock-out and even Brady struggled in his rookie year training camp.

Just to add another angle:
Mayock saying Mallett is an NFL starter and Pats reporters saying but he threw picks/was inconsistent...

So? This is a league where Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Schaub, Ryan Tannehill, Jake Locker etc etc are all starters - aren't they all inconsistent and throw picks? What Mayock said & local writers saying he's inconsistent aren't contradictory statements.

Busy day today. Any reports on how White looked running the ball?

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss · 7m
Vince Wilfork on coming to camp trimmer & role his wife Bianca played in the process: "My training camp began a long time ago – in March.”

Kirwin & Co on SIRIUS NFL Radio were equally effusive over The Hammah. If their assessments (SO early in camp) are accurate, Mallett has exceeded my expectations.

Busy day today. Any reports on how White looked running the ball?
Haven't seen anything on White. But according to Jeff Howe Ridley was the best back on the field today. (Not sure if he is including the Redskins too or just means for the Pats)

Sometimes ppl have to remmeber to compare Mallett vs other QBs NOT named Brees, Manning or Brady. IF Mallett had a better day then Rg3, then Mallett has starting caliber.

In all the T.C. practices and all the exhibition games, Mallett has never demonstrated starting NFL QB level play to me. My guess is that Mayock, who loves Mallett's arm, got a little bit caught up in the enthusiasm, maybe after some strong throws. He may genuinely believe that Mallett's an NFL starter, and it may turn out that the is correct, but it sounds as if Mallett's day was not particularly impressive to those who see him more often.

Brady targets in team: Edelman (8/9), Vereen (4/4), DA (3/4), KT (3/5,drop), LaFell (3/5), White (2/2), Ridley,Jones,Boyce,Williams (all 1/1).
Are you ****ting me! According to this, Brady was 27 for 33 (that's an 82% completion rate) in these full speed drills. That's fantastic, both for Brady AND the receivers.

Granted we don't know how intense these drills were, or how tight the coverage was. It would be interesting to see how well RG3 fared against our DB's

Why is it when one team/player gives another team/player "The Business" those people that get the business often find themselves unemployed? I mean if you are really giving them the business shouldn't that imply extra job security? Odd expression. : p

Its similiar to when a boss acts 'like a boss" and just finds himself being sued for sexual harrassment, ball-less, dead, the father of 396 giant half-boss/fish and probably fired once the HR guy sends in his report.. though perhaps not all in that order ;)

In all the T.C. practices and all the exhibition games, Mallett has never demonstrated starting NFL QB level play to me. My guess is that Mayock, who loves Mallett's arm, got a little bit caught up in the enthusiasm, maybe after some strong throws. He may genuinely believe that Mallett's an NFL starter, and it may turn out that the is correct, but it sounds as if Mallett's day was not particularly impressive to those who see him more often.

FWIW it's not just Mayock but also Kirwan saying it, and Howe had some praise as well.

I'm very curious to see what becomes of Mallett elsewhere. I can't shake the feeling that if he got to be "The Man," with consistent 1st-team reps and the chance to establish his rhythm, he could in fact be a legitimate starter. In exhibition games he always seems to be a hot mess for his first series, then the game starts to come back to him and he starts to see the field and throw with authority. Of course, by then he's running for his life behind a scrub o-line and throwing to UDFAs who don't know their routes.

IOW Mallett could be a better starter than backup, like some baseball pitchers who don't work well in relief.

We'll find out next year. Hopefully not this year.

Great take on joint practices from McCourty (who is becoming a master of the art of giving interesting interviews without offering anything too informative or inflammatory):

“It really builds us as team," McCourty said. "It changes from offense versus defense to Patriots versus Redskins. While they’re on the field, we’re cheering them on, yelling and screaming. When it’s the opposite, they’re cheering on the defense…you can probably see the sidelines, the guys are talking and yelling. It’s a lot of fun.”

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/mccourty-embraces-joint-practice-va

McCourty hits on something interesting there. Many players hate TC feeling it's a drag. Same old, same old day after day. But scrimmaging against an enemy team makes the day's hard work fun and interesting. No game tension, just joy at individual plays. A team building experience too. Kudos to BB for doing this.

McCourty hits on something interesting there. Many players hate TC feeling it's a drag. Same old, same old day after day. But scrimmaging against an enemy team makes the day's hard work fun and interesting. No game tension, just joy at individual plays. A team building experience too. Kudos to BB for doing this.

I find it more enjoyable as a fan too, because you don't fall into the philosophical psychology of: "Was that a great play by the offense/defense or was that a cause for concern for the defense/offense?" You can get excited about the good plays and take note of the bad ones easier I feel.

You have to keep in mind that Mallett is on the field in the preseason with backup players and players that don't make the team. If you take a look at Brady's completion percentage last season to players not named Edelman, Amendola, Vereen, and Gronkowski it was under 50%.

Redskins beat guy Rich Tandler has a wrap-up, complete with a few nice video clips:

Redskins-Patriots joint practice report, Day 1: RG3 watches the master | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

Notable quote:
Ryan Mallett, Brady’s backup, is petty good, too. He was firing accurate passes short and long. My two-minute scouting report is that he will be an NFL starter somewhere in the next couple of years. His contract with the Patriots is up after this season.

So all of the outside observers are saying they see starting quality in Mallett, while the local beat guys WHO ARE USED TO WATCHING TOM BRADY LEAD PRACTICE dismiss him as inconsistent. Just food for thought. ;)

Well I can't think of a single team with a 2nd team unit that can beat Dennard/Ryan/Arrington. They are just better than 2nd teamers.

Wait. How can this be? The PFW guys said the secondary was a disaster because Belichick hasn't named the starting #2 safety yet? :)

I'm just scratching my head....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents