PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The injury plague worsens

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest (117): Ed Reed, Samari Rolle, Orlando Pace, Antonio Pierce, Madieu Williams, Maurice Williams, Jimmy Williams, Kelly Gregg, DeWayne Robertson, Eric Steinbach, Edwin Mulitalo, Marvel Smith, Tom Nalen, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, Nathan Vasher, Cullen Jenkins, Dunta Robinson, Jordan Gross, Travelle Wharton, Ryan Kalil, Jeff Otah, Leonard Little, Derrick Burgess, Donnie Edwards, E.J. Henderson, Samari Rolle, Michael Boulware, Steve Neal, Willie McGinest, Jonas Jennings, Atari Bigby, Manny Lawson, Phillip Daniels, Mike McKenzie, Hollis Thomas, Scott Fujita.

Either Kaczur or O'Callahan as our starting RT could be added to that list

This was exactly the mindset of a non-Pats fan in week 1. Tom Brady is a run-up-the-score douchebag. I have no sympathy for him.
I don't think throwing for a TD in the fourth quarter is quite the same as using a tackle technique designed to break a WR's ankles.

I don't think throwing for a TD in the fourth quarter is quite the same as using a tackle technique designed to break a WR's ankles.

Tell that to them... not me. I was just bringing up in contrast. And you could argue that he uses that tackling method to hurt people. Meanwhile, I would argue that he uses that tackling method because he sucks in coverage and is always beaten so uses that tackling method as a way to save his own ass. Potaytoh, potahtoh I guess (and yes, I know that I spelled them wrong).

ESPN reports that its Monday Night viewership is up 19 percent compared to last year. The Cowboys-Philadelphia Eagles game on ESPN Sept. 15 was viewed by 18.6 million people according to Nielsen Media Research.

The State | 09/26/2008 | TV ratings show NFL as popular as ever

Ok, so the Cowboys-Philadelphia was bigger than last years, Same week contest of...Washington Vs. Philly - Shocker.

It's the freakin' Cowgirls, of course there was an increase. They are after all, America's Team (I think I just threw up a little).

Ok, so the Cowboys-Philadelphia was bigger than last years, Same week contest of...Washington Vs. Philly - Shocker.

It's the freakin' Cowgirls, of course there was an increase. They are after all, America's Team (I think I just threw up a little).

But will the Cowgirls have the four most watched broadcasts of Fall 2008 the way the Pats did last year? [Seriously--from the start of the 2007 season to New Year's Day, the four highest-rated broadcasts of any show were Patriots games.]

Except, even setting aside my homer glasses, there's an obvious distinction: Williams has repeatedly injured players as a direct result of deliberate actions on his part that would not be necessary if he, you know, knew how to f'ing tackle properly.

He's "nasty". We love nasty players. He may not be able to pass cover a fire hydrant, but I love nasty players and would take him on the Patriots.

The Cowboys ROT Columbo is another "nasty" player and I would not mind bringing him back to New England in the off season. I love nasty players.

As far as the injury plague worsening, I think the NFL should commission an independent third party to research causes and solutions, focusing primarily on safer equipment. It seems to me that some of the current equipment, with it's hard exterior, may be causing just as many injuries as it is preventing. This is the type of thing the NFLPA should be pushing for, rather than focusing on whether or not fantasy football sites and video games can use a player's name and picture.

There is pretty much nothing the NFL can do about it. Injuries are becoming a common trend now because the players are bigger, faster and stronger. I miss the days when their were hardly any injuries. I remember it would be a shock if a star player went down with a season ending injury. Now it's like, what else is new?

Last edited:
1. Ratings are up this year.

2. The only thing that can be done to protect the players is to prohibit weightlifting. As long as the muscles keep getting bigger while the bones, tendons, and ligaments stay the same size, injuries will continue to become more widespread. This is the price we have to pay to watch faster, more exciting athletes.

At what point, though? There is an optimal amount of muscle (I can't tell you what it is), but if someone can safely add muscle mass, why shouldn't they be allowed to? [Your suggestion has some merit, though, my reservations aside.]

Maybe the NFL could take a page from MLB and expand the roster towards the end of the season. Teams could bring up some practice squad players around week 12. It wouldn't do anything to prevent injuries, but players that are dinged up could get a rest and heal.

At what point, though? There is an optimal amount of muscle (I can't tell you what it is), but if someone can safely add muscle mass, why shouldn't they be allowed to? [Your suggestion has some merit, though, my reservations aside.]

It wasn't meant as a serious suggestion. I'm just pointing out that there's nothing that can really be done - the increase in injuries is just a byproduct of bigger, faster athletes creating larger stresses on body structures that cannot be strengthened.

Last edited:
Bad comparison, Brady wasn't injuring people from the result of running up the score.

Read my other post in this thread. I was using that in contrast.

How about this from Peter King this AM:

The 2008 casualties through Week 7:

The top two players of 2007: Tom Brady (2007 Most Valuable Player, 2007 Offensive Player of the Year), Bob Sanders (2007 Defensive Player of the Year).

Starting quarterbacks (10): Brady, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Matt Hasselbeck, Trent Edwards, Jon Kitna, Matt Schaub, Brodie Croyle, Vince Young, Brian Griese.

Pro Bowl players in 2007 (20): Osi Umenyiora, Al Harris, Devin Hester, Brian Westbrook, Shawn Andrews, Terrance Newman, Roy Williams (safety), Josh Cribbs, Willis McGahee, Kellen Winslow, Marcus McNeill, Casey Hampton, Shawne Merriman, Willie Parker, Jason Taylor, Jeff Saturday, Joseph Addai, Brady, Bob Sanders, Aaron Schobel.

Starting offensive skill players (50): Addai, Parker, Westbrook, Hester, Cribbs, McGahee, Winslow, Anquan Boldin, Dallas Clark, Benjamin Watson, Laurence Maroney, Jeremy Shockey, Marques Colston, Ahman Green, Chris Chambers, Jerry Porter, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, Deion Branch, Bobby Engram, James Jones, Javon Walker, Joey Galloway, Justin Fargas, L.J. Smith, Drew Bennett, Justin McCareins, David Patten, Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler, Selvin Young, Ben Utecht, Joe Jurevicius, Ernest Wilford, Michael Clayton, Rashard Mendenhall, Cadillac Williams, Nate Burleson, Randy McMichael, Billy McMullen, Brandon Lloyd, Sidney Rice, Thomas Tapeh, Mike Karney, Maurice Morris, Jeremi Johnson, George Wrighster, Brian Leonard, Dennis Northcutt, B.J. Askew.

The rest (117): Ed Reed, Samari Rolle, Orlando Pace, Antonio Pierce, Madieu Williams, Maurice Williams, Jimmy Williams, Kelly Gregg, DeWayne Robertson, Eric Steinbach, Edwin Mulitalo, Marvel Smith, Tom Nalen, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington, Nathan Vasher, Cullen Jenkins, Dunta Robinson, Jordan Gross, Travelle Wharton, Ryan Kalil, Jeff Otah, Leonard Little, Derrick Burgess, Donnie Edwards, E.J. Henderson, Samari Rolle, Michael Boulware, Steve Neal, Willie McGinest, Jonas Jennings, Atari Bigby, Manny Lawson, Phillip Daniels, Mike McKenzie, Hollis Thomas, Scott Fujita.
Do u have a link??

Better add Laurence Maroney to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference