PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Dumbing-down of the NFL (Millen to the Competition Committee)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, he wants the Lions to start out with a 30 point lead to make games more competitive. :D

What happens when he's fired around Thanksgiving?

WOW!

Next up..Bronco Billy for Commisioner....

Matt Millen is the Isaiah Thomas (GM Edition) of Football Executives.

Last edited:
In all honesty, putting a former LB on the competition committee is something I am all for.

dhamz said:
In all honesty, putting a former LB on the competition committee is something I am all for.

Just because you can execute on the field doesn't mean you can execute from behind a desk.

As much of an idiot as Millen is and in no way shape or form should he be running a multi-million dollar sports franchise, his "common sense" meathead approach to the game might actually be great on the competition committee.

It would be like what Bill Simmons always talks about, how every team should have a Joe Blow fan who acts as the Chairman of Common Sense and is consulted on all decisions.

I think Millen might work well in this capacity on the Comp. Committee.

tombonneau said:
As much of an idiot as Millen is and in no way shape or form should he be running a multi-million dollar sports franchise, his "common sense" meathead approach to the game might actually be great on the competition committee.

It would be like what Bill Simmons always talks about, how every team should have a Joe Blow fan who acts as the Chairman of Common Sense and is consulted on all decisions.

I think Millen might work well in this capacity on the Comp. Committee.
Y'know.... you might actually be right (although, I'd replace "common sense" with "simplistic"). :) I Didn't even think of that. If Millen was on the CC instead of Polian at the time, would we have the 'Ty Law rule emphasis'? I dunno. But, if Millen is a 'just let them play' type of guy, then yeah, I'd be all for that.

Plus, another added bonus I didn't think of... having to have the rest of the committee take the time to explain the new rule proposals and such to Mr. Millen, may actually slow down the influx of new rules. ;)

(I still can't believe he hasn't been fired yet, though)

Clonamery said:
Just because you can execute on the field doesn't mean you can execute from behind a desk.

What i meant is I'm fairly certain Matt Millen will not be advocating 100% pro offense changes you always get from the Polian, Holmgren, Martz crew.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Y'know.... you might actually be right (although, I'd replace "common sense" with "simplistic"). :) I Didn't even think of that. If Millen was on the CC instead of Polian at the time, would we have the 'Ty Law rule emphasis'? I dunno. But, if Millen is a 'just let them play' type of guy, then yeah, I'd be all for that.

Plus, another added bonus I didn't think of... having to have the rest of the committee take the time to explain the new rule proposals and such to Mr. Millen, may actually slow down the influx of new rules. ;)

(I still can't believe he hasn't been fired yet, though)

Yeah, common sense is probably a stretch. ;)

dhamz said:
What i meant is I'm fairly certain Matt Millen will not be advocating 100% pro offense changes you always get from the Polian, Holmgren, Martz crew.

That seems to be the general assessment of him and what (may) occur as a former player and 'muck it up' type LB but there is more recent evidence of his cerebral performance as an executive that belies the ability to understand the possible far-reaching effects of rule changes (which can be standings or style-of-play motivated).

Perhaps he will go along with the (Polian, Holmgren, Martz) crowd in an effort to give appearance to an enlightened approach to the game......or perhaps he WILL need that constant explanation for every little thing (like I do).

dhamz said:
Didn't Millen hire Martz?

I think the boys at Bang Cartoons are gonna have a field day with this one!!

:D

Millen can't be worse than the Polian gang. If anything, it might be a good thing.

Brady-To-Branch said:
Millen can't be worse than the Polian gang. If anything, it might be a good thing.

Let's all remember, this is the guy who hired Marty Morningweg as HC (and held onto him in that capacity for 3 years). Near the end, there were fan riots in the stands, but it was Detroit so no one could really tell.

Score one for the defense. Millen will counter all the pro-offense changes that the committee has pushed through the last few years. Say what you want about him as an exec, but as a player he was a mean SOB. He'll bring some balance to the committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back