PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Doc's Mock #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Well, here it is: my third and final three-round mock of the year. I'm thinking that most will be satisfied with this haul, especially towards the third round. Constructive criticism encouraged:

*Projected trade

First Round
1 Houston: Reggie Bush, RB, USC: Houston makes the obvious pick, which has been cemented by Bush's pro day.
2 New Orleans: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State: Williams is the best defensive player in the draft and their defensive ends are not performing.
3 Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC: Tennessee wants him and everyone knows it.
4 New York Jets: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia: The Jets make their first move toward reconstructing their offensive line.
5 Green Bay: A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio St.: The Packers still need a linebacker after releasing Na’il Diggs
6 San Francisco: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland: The 49ers add a dimension to their offense that hasn’t been present for a long time.
7 Oakland: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon: The Raiders get a great deal on the best defensive tackle in the draft.
8 Arizona (from Buffalo*): Michael Huff, DB, Texas: With none of the prospects they were eyeing at #8 on the board, Buffalo trades down with Arizona, who wanted to make sure they could get Huff before the Lions did. (The Bills receive Arizona’s 4th-round pick in this deal.)
9 Detroit: Winston Justice, OT, USC: Kelly Butler was horrible last year and the Lions take the rising OL prospect with toy-gun problems.
10 Buffalo (from Arizona*): Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida State: The Bills wanted Justice here, but Bunkley will also satisfy them.
11 St. Louis: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson: St. Louis’ cornerbacks had a total of 3 interceptions last year. ‘Nuff said.
12 Cleveland: Manny Lawson, OLB, N.C. State: Lawson will be McGinest’s apprentice at OLB while Chaun Thompson covers the other side.
13 Baltimore: Jimmy Williams, FS, Virginia Tech: Williams can replace Will Demps at FS.
14 Philadelphia: Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa: The Eagles definitely need an upgrade at the LB position.
15 Denver: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida: It couldn’t have happened any better for the 49ers, who nab Alex Smith’s first actual WR target.
16 Miami: Jason Allen, S, Tennessee: The Dolphins’ safeties are horrendous. Period.
17 Minnesota: Vince Young, QB, Minnesota: Young will redshirt for a year and learn the ropes behind Brad Johnson.
18 Dallas: Kamerion Wimbley, OLB, Florida State: The Cowboys will take the dropping OLB prospect with the incorrectly spelled name.
19 San Diego: Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn: McNeil will be a huge upgrade at a weak position.
20 Kansas City (from Buffalo): Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College: The Chiefs hope that Kiwanuka will stabilize their somewhat pathetic DL.
21 New York Jets (from New England*): DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis: The Jets want a jump on the second-best RB in the draft and New England doesn’t see anyone with the right value here. (New England receives the Jet’s second 1st round pick and first 3rd-round pick. The Jets receive New England’s 5th-rounder pick.)
22 San Francisco (from Washington through Denver): Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio St.: The 49ers spend their 2nd first-rounder on Carpenter, who will fill in at a need position.
23 Tampa Bay: Eric Winston, OT, Miami: The Bucs take Winston, who will fill a need at OT.
24 Cincinnati: Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia: The Bengals take the second-best TE on the board to replace Matt Schobel.
25 New York Giants: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St. The Giants are old at WR and have no depth. Holmes will be a target for a long time.
26 Chicago: Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida St.: The consensus pick for Chicago.
27 Carolina: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota: Maroney will split time with DeShaun Foster for the Panthers.
28 Detroit (from Jacksonville*): Tamba Hali, DE, Penn St.: The Jaguars see no one they want and the Lions see one person they want. (Jacksonville receives Detroit’s second- and fourth-round picks)
29 New England (from Denver through the Jets*): DeMeco Ryans, ILB, Alabama: This wasn’t good value at 21 but they can’t pass up on Ryans now.
30 Indianapolis: Joseph Addai, RB, LSU: The Colts don’t like White’s attitude and they desperately need a RB. As no one wanted to trade down, they go with Addai here.
31 Seattle: Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida St.: Holmgren takes a gamble on a boom-or-bust player at the end of the 1st round.
32 Pittsburgh: Donte Whitner, FS, Ohio State: It might be a reach, but they need a FS and Whitner won’t be there at the end of the second round.

Second Round
33 Houston: Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia: The Texans take the best guard in the draft to make the offensive line better.
34 New Orleans: Nick Mangold, C, Ohio St.: The Saints select Mangold to replace LeCharles Bentley at center.
35 New York Jets: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt: The Jets are delight to see that Cutler has fallen from the first round and select him as a future replacement for Chad Pennington.
36 Green Bay: Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami: The Packers select a WR with actual talent to replace the 10,000 UFA wideouts currently on their roster.
37 Denver (from San Francisco): Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA: The Broncos hope to add a dimension at offense that hasn’t been there since Shannon Sharpe.
38 Oakland: Darryl Tapp, DE, Virginia Tech: The Raiders add a pass rusher along the outside to eventually replace Bobby Hamilton.
39 Tennessee: Abdul Hodge, Virginia: With Kassel gone and concerns about D’Qwell Jackson’s ability to play in the 4-3, the Titans select Hodge as their new MLB)
40 Jacksonville (from Detroit*): Deuce Latui, OG, USC: The Jaguars select the rising OG prospect from USC to play at one of their guard spots.
41 Arizona: Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP: Adding another linebacker won’t hurt as Orlando Huff and James Darling aren’t anything special.
42 Buffalo: Jeremy Trueblood, OT, Boston College: The Bills need someone to replace Gandy or Peters and they hope Trueblood is that person.
43 Cleveland: Rodrigue Wright, DE/DT, Texas: Wright has the mobility to play DE in the 3-4, but the Browns could still use a tackle if that doesn’t work out.
44 Baltimore: Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise St.: Colledge will compete for the RT spot for the Ravens in training camp.
45 Philadelphia: Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan: The Eagles will select Watson to play DT, a major disappointment position for the Eagles last year.
46 St. Louis: Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado: The Rams select a balanced target at TE in Marcedes Lewis.
47 Atlanta: Andrew Whitworth, OT, LSU: I know they traded for Wayne Gandy but Gandy is a 13-year pro.
48 Minnesota: Charles Spencer, OG, Pittsburgh: Steve Hutchinson fills one of the guard spots; Spencer will fill the other.
49 Dallas: Daniel Bullocks, FS, Nebraska: The Cowboys select a FS to play alongside Roy Williams.
50 San Diego: Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona St.: The Bolts decide to select Hagan, who many considered the best WR in the NCAA at the beginning of the season, to play at WR.
51 Green Bay (from Miami through Minnesota*): Johnathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina: The Packers send Javon Walker packing to the Vikings and select Joseph as depth at the CB spot.
52 New England: Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.: I haven’t been a supporter of the Pats taking a CB but Marshall is a good deal at 52.
53 Washington: D’Qwell Jackson, LB, Maryland: The Redskins still need to replace Pierce at LB and Jackson can do that.
54 Kansas City: Ashton Youbouty, CB, Ohio St.: The Chiefs are happy that this starting candidate from Ohio State fell to them in the second round.
55 Cincinnati: Claude Wroten, DT, LSU: The Bengals need a DT and Wroten will be given a chance because of his physical skills.
56 New York Giants: Jonathan Lewis, DT, Virginia Tech: Kendrick Clancy left for Arizona so the Giants decide to fill a need in the middle.
57 Chicago: Domonique Byrd, TE, USC: Byrd will add another target for Orton/Grossman on offense.
58 Carolina: Roger McIntosh, OLB, Florida: The Panthers need two starters outside and McIntosh can compete for at least one of them.
59 Tampa Bay: Greg Jennings, WR, Western Michigan: The Buccaneers need depth behind Clayton and Galloway.
60 Jacksonville: Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame: The Jaguars hope that Fasano gives them the same production he gave at Notre Dame.
61 Denver: Pat Watkins, FS, Florida St.: The Broncos select a prospect to groom as John Lynch’s replacement.
62 Indianapolis: John McCargo, DT, N.C. State: McCargo will be expected to compete for Tripplet’s old spot in training camp.
63 Seattle: Mark Anderson, DE, Virginia Tech: Seattle wants a good pass rusher at DE and Anderson should be able to fill that role.
64 Pittsburgh: Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon: The Steelers select one of the best deep threats in the draft to replace Randle El at WR.

65 Houston: Darnell Bing, SS, USC: The Texans want Bing to replace C.C. Brown or Glenn Earl at safety.
66 Houston (from New Orleans): Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas: The Texans bring in a local product to compete at tackle.
67 Green Bay: Rob Sims, OG, Ohio St.: The Packers need guards and think that Sims can be a starter in the NFL.
68 Denver (from San Francisco): Victor Adeyanju, DE, Indiana: The Broncos find Adeyanju an intriguing player and add him to their mix at DE.
69 Oakland: Charlie Whitehurst, QB, Clemson: The Raiders hope that Whitehurst will someday be their replacement for Aaron Brooks.
70 Buffalo (from Tennessee): Danieal Manning, CB, Abilene Christian: The Bills select a project who may eventually start.
71 New England (from the Jets*): Mike Hass, WR, Oregon State: Hass won the Biletnikoff award for a reason and the Pats are happy to have him at 71.
72 Arizona: Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green: The Cardinals hope that Jacobs will someday be their replacement for Kurt Warner.
73 Buffalo: Kellen Clemens, QB, Clemson: If Losman doesn’t work out, the Bills hope that Clemens will.
74 Detroit: Omar Gaither, LB, Tennessee: Some will consider this pick a reach but hey, it’s Millen.
75 Houston (from Baltimore through New England*): Ryan O’Callaghan, OT, California: Houston sends Antwan Peek, who won’t work in their new 4-3 defense, to the Pats for a third-round pick and hope that the shotgun approach will work, selecting the third offensive lineman in four picks.
76 Philadelphia: Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame: The Eagles hope this one-year wonder will continue his strong production at the NFL level.
77 St. Louis: John McCargo, DT, LSU: The Rams need depth, and starters, on the line and hope that McCargo can fill at least one of those roles.
78 Cleveland: Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA: Cleveland hopes that Drew can add a passing threat out of the backfield as a 3rd-down back.
79 Atlanta: Cedric Griffin, DB, Texas: The Falcons hope that Griffin can be at least a nickelback for their defense.
80 Dallas: Travis Wilson, WR, Oklahoma: The Cowboys select a project who will eventually replace one of their two aging starters at WR.
81 San Diego: DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia: The Chargers add another player to their secondary, hoping that he will be able to perform.
82 Miami: Jon Alston, LB, Stanford: The Dolphins take a risky pick in the 3rd round that may end up playing safety instead of linebacker.
83 Minnesota: Brian Iwuh, LB, Colorado: Iwuh is fast and will do well in the Vikings’ new Cover 2 defense.
84 Houston (from Washington through San Francisco*): Clint Ingram, LB, Oklahoma: Houston continues dealing players, this time Domanick Davis to the 49ers. The Texans select a player that can play in their new 4-3 defense.
85 Kansas City: Martin Nance, WR, Miami (Ohio): The Chiefs select a possession receiver that they think will do well in their offense.
86 New England: Ryan Cook, OL, New Mexico: Cook, who can play anywhere on the line, is the perfect swing lineman for their offense.
87 New York Giants: Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn St.: The Giants select a big CB from Penn State who is good in coverage.
88 Chicago: Joe Toledo, OT, Washington: The Bears add depth to their OL, hoping that Toledo can play at RT eventually.
89 Carolina: Tim Day, TE, Oregon: The Panthers select a TE as a target for Delhomme.
90 Tampa Bay: Dee Webb, CB, Florida: Dee Webb is a project pick who will wait in the wings of Ronde Barber until he is ready to start.
91 Cincinnati: Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama: Just in case Palmer is hurt more than they think, the Bengals select a backup QB in the third round.
92 Jacksonville: Spencer Havner, OLB, UCLA: The Jaguars select a strongside linebacker to play opposite Daryl Smith.
93 Atlanta (from Denver): Brian Calhoun, RB, Wisconsin: Warrick Dunn isn’t getting any older.
94 Indianapolis: Keith Ellison, LB, Oregon State: David Thornton left in FA and Ellison is the best available replacement.
95 Seattle: Roman Harper, FS, Alabama: Ken Hamlin insurance.
96 Pittsburgh: Brandon Williams, WR, Wisconsin: The Steelers hope to make Williams their next receiving hit.
97 New York Jets (compensatory pick): Paul McQuistan, OT, Weber State: This small-school prospect has enough upside for the Jets to select him in the 3rd round.

So the Pats end up with Ryans, Marshall, Hass, Peek and Cook. I'd call that a pretty good first day.

I'm sorry, Dr, but I would be diappointed if the Pats ended up with that.

Ryans doesn't fit the Pats system except at SS. He's already added 10 lbs of weight that he's never played with. Its unlikely he'll be able to add more and not suffer in his play. I think the Pats are more likely to reach for Mangold than to take a player that doesn't fit their system.

Marshall and Hass are good picks.

Cook is a good pick as well, but not needed if you take Mangold in the 1st.

Agree with DaBruins on Ryans. Carpenter or Hodge would be better.

Baltimore had the 2nd worst O-line in the league and Ogden has gray hair. No way they take someone to play behind Ray-Ray.

here's how i would have done it (if anyone cares)

1. Cromartie

2. D'Qwell Jackson

3a. Maurice Drew

3b. TRADED FOR PEEK

3c. Brandon Williams....

now thats a haul

I think mocks with trades are stupid IMO. I am not big on the Ryans pick either and I think that is too high for Hass.

J D Sal

Peek was a DE at Alabama. I think he fits better as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 LB. I also think he's overrated. He's probably worth the third, but I can think of a dozen guys in the league I'd rather target if we're going to trade pick for player.

dryheat44 said:
Peek was a DE at Alabama. I think he fits better as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 LB. I also think he's overrated. He's probably worth the third, but I can think of a dozen guys in the league I'd rather target if we're going to trade pick for player.
Antwan Peek went to the Universith of Cincinnati

J D Sal

JDSal45 said:
Antwan Peek went to the Universith of Cincinnati

J D Sal

Then who am I thinking of? d%#*!@t, I'm going to have to look things up. Must have been a different Antwan.

dryheat44 said:
Then who am I thinking of? d%#*!@t, I'm going to have to look things up. Must have been a different Antwan.

Antwan Odom, now of the Titans. My apologies. Carry on.

mavfan2390 said:
here's how i would have done it (if anyone cares)

1. Cromartie

2. D'Qwell Jackson

3a. Maurice Drew

3b. TRADED FOR PEEK

3c. Brandon Williams....

now thats a haul

Cromartie is WAY over-rated. The guy was a productive nickel and has limited starting time. Wasted pick.

D'qwell Jackson is a CUT 230. Usually when a player is a CUT 230, they have very little left in the way of weight that they can add. I don't see Jackson being a fit for the Patriots 3-4 defense. Wasted pick.

I love the idea of trading for Peek. However I'd prefer to only go as high as the 5th. I think Peek was stuck in a bit of a numbers game under Capers at OLB. With our coaching staff, he could really prosper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back