PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the dirty sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunydenmark, thank you for your well thought out response.

The IT factor = the guy that walks into the room and everybody turns to see him, think of Elvis, Sinatra, or even Joe Namath, It's a cult of personality.

Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Jason Cambel, etc never had IT.

The IT thing has nothing to do with arm strength, ability to read a D, or athleticism, IT is what makes people want to follow you into battle.

Check out the first 2 minutes of this youtube vid
YouTube - Mark Sanchez is a New York Jet!!!!

Here is his first interview as a Jet.
YouTube - Mark Sanchez Interview

Hi Gunnails,

Living in Portland - were you able to catch any PAC-10 games with Sanchez ? I am a WSU cougar alumnus but I dont get to see any college games here in Denmark - only NFL games.

I have no doubt Sanchez has the IT factor as far as media / public relations and that will serve him well with the NY media. Not sure how that will fly though in the locker room with a min $25+ million contract under his arm. Hopefully, he will be smart and be humble with the vets. They will only respect him if he practices hard, studies harder and starts to produce on the field. (several good articles about this on the web within last 4 days by former players Matt Bowen at national football post and Ross Tucker on CNNSI.

Hopefully Ryan will not rush him into his baptism under fire. First four game are at Houston (no pushover), Pats, Tenn and at New Orleans. That is not an easy start so would be wise (even if he is marginally better than Clemmons in TC) to sit him a month or 2 and let Clemmons be the 'fall guy' for the tough opening schedule which at best case scenario would only be 2-2 while 1-3 is more likely no matter who is 'under center'.

However, with that contract I dont think the media pressure / Jets FO will let Ryan sit Sanchez the first several games. People forget that Flacco was never supposed to be the starter. He was only thrown into battle due to injuries to the other 2 QB's on Ravens roster.

Bottom line is (considering all my points I made in earlier posts - no sense re-hashing) the Jets have all the eggs in a very few baskets - so they had better be right about Sanchez (and even then dont rush him into battle) - or otherwise they will be in big trouble for next few years with the cap hit and could mean 2 years in a row have 'crapped out' on a top 5 pick (unless Gholston also starts producing). Jets are on more shaky ground than most 'national talking heads' realize.

I was happy to see that one of the most respected NFL writers in this country also agrees with me about the Jets draft: Rich Gosslein gave the Jets draft a 'D'. As I have said ad nausium - NFL it is not about one player anymore. Yes, you need a 'franchaise' QB to go deep into the playoffs, but you also need a strong supporting cast as well (especially due to injuries). Its no longer a 'one trick pony' league. And the Jets have given up alot to get this one person: 5 players (3 vet players and 2 draft picks = 5 ) and a big whopping guaranteed contract (probably minimum $25-30 million guaranteed and $50-60 mill if all escalators reached). That is alot of resources to hitch your wagon to for a one year college starter with an excellent supporting cast. Even if he has 'IT' it is a high reward but VERY high risk maneuver. That draft approach (time and time again) is why I don't think Tannenbaum is very good. It leaves you with no security blanket if you miss. And as we all know - the draft is a crapshoot. Even if he actually turns out to be good What if he gets injured? What if he turns psycho teamate like Ryan Leif?, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes