PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case AGAINST signing Ed Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Career wise - no doubt. Last year and going forward? McCourty > Reed - and I'm not including the leadership/subjective factors. On the field. Reed has lost his fastball.
No doubt, Ed Reed isn't the same player he once was. His run defense has taken a big hit but he is still extremely productive in the pass game, yes, more so than McCourty. You can argue that McCourty is better overall at safety but there is no doubt that Reed is better in pass defense, and that is where we really need the help. I also think it's important to factor in his leadership. He is the type of guy that can be the leader in the secondary. Right now we don't have that player that can communicate that well.

You know, restructure deals, move bonus money around, structure deals that load up on the back end. I think there are ways around it, proven by lots of other teams.

And that works for a couple years, then you become the Jets. And they don't even have a big money QB eating up 20% of their cap. The reason the Jets won't be major players in free agency and will have to cut a number of starters is precisely because they overused the tactics you outlined.

Clarifying the '13 cap situation - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

For some reason, the story of the Jets' cap situation for 2013 has gained momentum in recent days, fueling the perception that the team is headed for salary-cap hell. While it's true that the Jets are projected to be about $20 million over the cap in '13, it's important to understand the full scope of the situation.

They can get under the cap in a heartbeat. If they cut LB Bart Scott, OLB Calvin Pace and OT Jason Smith, they will clear nearly $28 million. Smith has an inflated cap number because of a $12 million roster bonus, which, of course, he never will see.

Well, then if that's the case, why don't we just offer him a trillion dollars to be our DB coach and save his salary on the cap? I'm just concerned he's done as a premium or even quality safety. A waste of 5M, but that's only my opinion.

I agree in reviewing his last few years.. I do think honestly believe though he'd be so motivated by the Ravens not wanting him anymore that it would give him renewed life again and get back to being a top tier safety.

I don't concern myself with cost, it ain't my money and there are ways to circumvent the cap.

If we paid him big money in a 2nd or 3rd year knowing he'd retire wouldn't it just result in dead money and not a cap hit?

You mean aging starters that should be cut anyway?
There's nothing wrong with cutting old, expensive starters, but you still have to replace them.

Great. So they'll be $8m under the cap (less than that when you factor what their draft class will cost), and now have to replace three starters. Whatever those three are doing production wise, how good do you suppose a $1.5m per year replacement is going to do on average? Even if it breaks even, you're talking a repeat of a 6-10 team. Sure, they can get under, but tell me how they're going to IMPROVE that sucktastic team?

Great. So they'll be $8m under the cap (less than that when you factor what their draft class will cost), and now have to replace three starters. Whatever those three are doing production wise, how good do you suppose a $1.5m per year replacement is going to do on average? Even if it breaks even, you're talking a repeat of a 6-10 team. Sure, they can get under, but tell me how they're going to IMPROVE that sucktastic team?

I am not going to tell you that Tannenbaum did a good job managing that team. I am just telling you that the cap isn't something that I would be super concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes