PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case AGAINST signing Ed Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer an article called the case against Kyle Arrington. I think that if Reed could come in and teach players like McCourty, Wilson and Ebner how to properly play safety he is worth $5m if he never takes a snap.

Plus he seems like he has something to prove. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000146623/Reed-I-d-win-two-Super-Bowls-in-New-England

Ed Reed strikes me as the type of player who'd be youth-ionized by the Ravens letting him walk and give us 2+ all pro years with that motivation of anger.

Ed Reed: "I'd win two" superbowls in New England.

i think reed would be stupid to leave the ravens. and with flaccos cap hit small this year..they can deff bring him back if they want and with reiss saying long shot now..i will believe him for now. reed won't be here

I would be cool either way with regards to Reed. But honestly, I would be just as happy if the Pats drafted D.J. Swearinger.

i think reed would be stupid to leave the ravens. and with flaccos cap hit small this year..they can deff bring him back if they want and with reiss saying long shot now..i will believe him for now. reed won't be here

What's Flacco's cap hit at for next season?

Musket Fire article said:
Don’t think McCourty is elite? What if I told you the quarterback rating he allowed last season at safety was 10.2. That’s right, 10.2.

Woah.

Is this stat from PFF?

Pretty interesting, either way.

I would be cool either way with regards to Reed. But honestly, I would be just as happy if the Pats drafted D.J. Swearinger.

Don't matter anyways, as word is Ed Reed will retire as a Raven. In the works, to resign Reed...

I'd prefer an article called the case against Kyle Arrington. I think that if Reed could come in and teach players like McCourty, Wilson and Ebner how to properly play safety he is worth $5m if he never takes a snap.

Plus he seems like he has something to prove. Ed Reed: 'I'd win two' Super Bowls in New England - NFL Videos

Ed Reed strikes me as the type of player who'd be youth-ionized by the Ravens letting him walk and give us 2+ all pro years with that motivation of anger.
Well, then if that's the case, why don't we just offer him a trillion dollars to be our DB coach and save his salary on the cap? I'm just concerned he's done as a premium or even quality safety. A waste of 5M, but that's only my opinion.

Anyone that thinks Devin McCourty is better than Ed Reed relies far too much on sites like PFF instead of actually watching the games.

Don't get me wrong, McCourty was great at safety. But Reed is better. Just watch instead of looking so much at PFF.

Woah.

Is this stat from PFF?

Pretty interesting, either way.

It may as well be from "High Times."

If you want to waste Bradys last years by all means move Tebucky McCourty back to CB and roll the dice on trying to find another S in the draft.

There is no case against signing Ed Reed.

Anyone that thinks Devin McCourty is better than Ed Reed relies far too much on sites like PFF instead of actually watching the games.

Don't get me wrong, McCourty was great at safety. But Reed is better. Just watch instead of looking so much at PFF.

Career wise - no doubt. Last year and going forward? McCourty > Reed - and I'm not including the leadership/subjective factors. On the field. Reed has lost his fastball.

What's the big buzz on Swearinger? Probably not good enough a coverage guy to ever be a plus FS. Too small to sit in the box as a starter and take the pounding as a SS. He's a 4th S to be IMO. Not worth a late 3rd rounder, when we could be hunting for a CB/OT/DT/WR - depending on the FA moves.

BB is gravitating away from a Chung like SS except for short yardage. I see two FS's out there, one that hits harder then the other. That's your SS in the future. The league is too pass heavy to start a SS that's a A on tackling and a C- in coverage.

Reid and Rambo would seem to have higher ceiling if we draft a S, even if Reid is 35 picks ahead of Swearinger, and Rambo 20 before.

You want Ed Reed at $7M x 3 years? No thanks. 2 years for $4M he's worth it.

I don't concern myself with cost, it ain't my money and there are ways to circumvent the cap.

You want Ed Reed at $7M x 3 years? No thanks. 2 years for $4M he's worth it.

who said he would get or wants 7 millions a year? no one will pay that for him. He is in the 5 mill range

I don't concern myself with cost, it ain't my money and there are ways to circumvent the cap.

Interesting. I can't imagine how a fan of an NFL team, in particular this one, disdains the cap with "ways to circumvent the cap".

:nooo:

What is the problem with New England and DB's?

Does BB hate or consider the DB line worthless?

Just wondering why is it that ever since Ty Law/Samuels/Harrison/Hobbs kinda, New England didn't bother upgrading or signing someone solid on the entire DB line. That's 5 straight years of hardcore sucking vs the pass. Why would you not upgrade that unit? Who has been the coach at the db position over the last 5 years?

Because clearly we cant stop no one on 3rd downs vs pass or when it matters most. This will affect the legacies of the entire team and franchchise, the innability to improve the pass defence over the past 5 years has cost us maybe 1-3 championships. I'm just beating my head here....forget the damn pass rush, a good OL will stop a good DL, but a better DB will stop a good WR. :mad::(:confused::mad::(:confused:

Very interesting posts: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/38767-what-scares-me.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/36945-pats-dbs.html

who said he would get or wants 7 millions a year? no one will pay that for him. He is in the 5 mill range

The poster left it open ended, so a little exaggeration to tweek him on that seemed apropos. I'll remember not to be so subtle next time....

Interesting. I can't imagine how a fan of an NFL team, in particular this one, disdains the cap with "ways to circumvent the cap".

:nooo:

You know, restructure deals, move bonus money around, structure deals that load up on the back end. I think there are ways around it, proven by lots of other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes