PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The annual question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I say about Brady's desire and how it compares to Peyton's?

Brady has won 3 friggin' Super Bowls and played in 4. It almost seems like he has accomplished so much that it's not really all that special to him. If you had already won 3 SB's, broken countless NFL passing records, won Super Bowl AND regular season MVP awards, and you were on your SECOND SUPER MODEL, how "motivated" would you be to come in and go that extra mile to accomplish more? How motivated could you be?

Peyton, on the other hand, has a serious disorder about this stuff. It's not that he's a better man or a more dedicated athlete than Brady, per se, it's that he has a compulsive behavioral issue with watching film and preparing. It's been said many times that it's gotten so bad that it has caused his marriage to suffer. He'll keep preparing like he has and keep playing until he no longer can, physically, and then he'll have to be medicated so that he can live his life without watching football film.

So there's my assessment. They're both complete badasses, both for different reasons, and I expect Manning to prepare more than Brady, in general, because Brady is pretty much a friggin' demi God and has better stuff to do with his time and Peyton's a caveman who doesn't enjoy anything else besides watching film and studying football.

Pick 199 in the 6th round - That's what motivates him to pound teams into oblivion. And it means even more when he can beat the overall No. 1 pick - He'll never loose that fire. They may be friendly, but Tom always wants to beat Peyton......and Peyton always wants to BE Tom.

Pick 199 in the 6th round - That's what motivates him to pound teams into oblivion. And it means even more when he can beat the overall No. 1 pick - He'll never loose that fire. They may be friendly, but Tom always wants to beat Peyton......and Peyton always wants to BE Tom.

Hahah, ok dude.
So, if I interviewed Tom Brady today, you really think this is how it would go:

Me: So Tom, what motivates you each season to come in and go that extra mile after you've already won more than most QB's can dream of?

TB: Well Rubber Bean & Liquor, it's the fact that I was the 199th pick in the 6th round. That really gets my goat. I though I was worth a 1st round pick for sure. I'm still bitter about my draft position back in 2000. Due to these everlasting sour grapes in regards to my being a 6th rounder, I take no refuge in the hundreds of millions of dollars I have earned, nor in my super model girlfriend, nor in my 3 rings. The only way I can feel better about being a piece of crap 6th rounder is to "Pound opposing teams into oblivion."

Me: Wow Tom, I guess I never knew that you were ever pissed off about being selected in the 6th round, much less STILL pissed off about it.

TB: Well, I am. And for that reason alone, it gives me great gratification to defeat opposing quarterbacks who were selected in earlier rounds- particularly Peyton Manning. That bastard was the 1st overall pick! Every time I see him, I can't help but think, "That JERKOFF was the 1st overall pick! I must defeat the 1st overall pick!" I'll never loose that fire.

Me: Tom, what does it mean, exactly, to "loose" fire? Can fire be loose? Can it be tight? Does it burn?

TB: Peyton wants to BE me.

Eh, this guy doesn't come off as a troll to me. Trolls usually bash the Pats and glorify the Colts/Jets/Dolphins/Chargers/Bills/Steelers/etc. This guy actually complimented us.

No surprise there, we all know you think remarkably like an Indy troll....:rolleyes: LOL

Here we go again.....sorry I don't meet the "homer" standards around here.

BTW as another poster said, that post wasn't insulting to Brady or the Pats.

Last edited:
Eh, this guy doesn't come off as a troll to me. Trolls usually bash the Pats and glorify the Colts/Jets/Dolphins/Chargers/Bills/Steelers/etc. This guy actually complimented us.

If there's one thing I HATE about NFL message boards, it's the whole dynamic of using the word "Troll."

I hate actual trolls.

I hate people who automatically call any opposing fan a troll.

I hate people who think that the MEANING of Troll is anyone who doesn't directly and outwardly support the team that the board is based on.

I hate people who aren't trolls at all, but call themselves trolls on opposing teams' sites, as to build some sort of "honest reputation" among the other members.

I hate the phrase, "Don't feed the trolls."

I hate the phrase, "Go back to your home at [fill in the NFL site], TROLL!"

I really wish some people could take a seminar on what "trolls" are and how to properly deal with opposing fans. This is no knock on the guy that just called me a troll- I'm really not offended -I'm just pointing out how ridiculous and cliche the whole "troll" phenomenon has become. We're NFL fans, not computer dorks. Do we have to keep talking endlessly about TROLLS?

TB: Well, I am. And for that reason alone, it gives me great gratification to defeat opposing quarterbacks who were selected in earlier rounds- particularly Peyton Manning.

That hasn't helped in his last 2 losses.....to 2 #1 overall picks.

(for all of those ready to cry "troll" that's a fact, get over it)

If there's one thing I HATE about NFL message boards, it's the whole dynamic of using the word "Troll."

I hate actual trolls.

I hate people who automatically call any opposing fan a troll.

I hate people who think that the MEANING of Troll is anyone who doesn't directly and outwardly support the team that the board is based on.

I hate people who aren't trolls at all, but call themselves trolls on opposing teams' sites, as to build some sort of "honest reputation" among the other members.

I hate the phrase, "Don't feed the trolls."

I hate the phrase, "Go back to your home at [fill in the NFL site], TROLL!"

I really wish some people could take a seminar on what "trolls" are and how to properly deal with opposing fans. This is no knock on the guy that just called me a troll- I'm really not offended -I'm just pointing out how ridiculous and cliche the whole "troll" phenomenon has become. We're NFL fans, not computer dorks. Do we have to keep talking endlessly about TROLLS?

Yes, we do. And if you don't like it, go back to IndyStar, troll. :trolls:

Yes, we do. And if you don't like it, go back to IndyStar, troll. :trolls:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Have YOU been to indystar lately? 5 posts in the past 24 hours. It's dead. There are no mods and Pats fans have gone in and just taken over. Basically, as long as you don't cuss or use racial slurs or sexual comments, you can keep stirring trouble forever without being banned and without your posts being deleted.

Go check it out if you don't believe me. It's a wasteland: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckForum&plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat%3adb3f8cfb-fbf2-46a8-9949-2d94e2faab75Forum%3a655098da-bc11-4421-9a76-5d5ab989bbfd&plckNumPerPage=200&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

So will NOT "go back to indystar!"
ColtFreaks.com is where it's at now. http://coltfreaks.com/forum/

Last edited:
Hahah, ok dude.
So, if I interviewed Tom Brady today, you really think this is how it would go:

Me: So Tom, what motivates you each season to come in and go that extra mile after you've already won more than most QB's can dream of?

TB: Well Rubber Bean & Liquor, it's the fact that I was the 199th pick in the 6th round. That really gets my goat. I though I was worth a 1st round pick for sure. I'm still bitter about my draft position back in 2000. Due to these everlasting sour grapes in regards to my being a 6th rounder, I take no refuge in the hundreds of millions of dollars I have earned, nor in my super model girlfriend, nor in my 3 rings. The only way I can feel better about being a piece of crap 6th rounder is to "Pound opposing teams into oblivion."

Me: Wow Tom, I guess I never knew that you were ever pissed off about being selected in the 6th round, much less STILL pissed off about it.

TB: Well, I am. And for that reason alone, it gives me great gratification to defeat opposing quarterbacks who were selected in earlier rounds- particularly Peyton Manning. That bastard was the 1st overall pick! Every time I see him, I can't help but think, "That JERKOFF was the 1st overall pick! I must defeat the 1st overall pick!" I'll never loose that fire.

Me: Tom, what does it mean, exactly, to "loose" fire? Can fire be loose? Can it be tight? Does it burn?

TB: Peyton wants to BE me.

Ahhhh, yea. Go to Youtube and look up the 60 Min. episode he did, i think it's in 2 parts and we will, almost verbatim, say what you just typed.

199 drives him.

Ahhhh, yea. Go to Youtube and look up the 60 Min. episode he did, i think it's in 2 parts and we will, almost verbatim, say what you just typed.

199 drives him.

He also says something to the effect of "3 rings, there's gotta be more than this!" (not meaning a 4th or 5th ring)

What is "it"?

This is what we heard a year ago too, and he only went out and had the best year in the history of the QB position. He was perfect against Jax, banged up against SD, and played from his back in the SB.

What more do we want from this guy?

that is what i am thinking. What more could we want from Tom. He is the best QB in the league and what else does he need to prove in his career. He has done more for this organization than any one player has ever done imo.

that is what i am thinking. What more could we want from Tom. He is the best QB in the league and what else does he need to prove in his career. He has done more for this organization than any one player has ever done imo.

True, but that's looking at it from a historical standpoint. In the present, he and the other members of the 2008 Pats have to prove they are a SB-contender again. Remember, every season stands on its own, and while Tom Brady (career-wise) has nothing to prove, Tom Brady (QB of the 2008 Pats) has something to prove, and I hope he carries the same mentality.

If I have one mild criticism of Mike it's that at times he rather naively seems to take things too seriously when branching off into/forming his own opinion. Remember, it was the media who created many of the over the top myths relating to how this team operates based on their misinterpretation of what was being said. So in this case given how he prefaced his comments I'd have thought it better to limit his response as follows in bold:

This is a rare example - I can't think of other examples of Reiss doing this. And yes, I agree, in this specific instance, he is making too much of it, and this is a rare case where I think Reiss is off the mark.

I hope Brady takes off as much time as he feels he needs. Last season was extremely mentally and physically demanding and we know he was hurting down the stretch with at least one ailment. Brady has most certainly earned the right to never have his work ethic questioned and he has earned the right to use some of the offseason to take a vacation and travel the world with his girlfriend. If Tom Brady missing a few offseason workouts is the biggest of our worries, than I'd say we're in for another successful season.

Last edited:
Brady has nothing to prove and nothing to explain, to me at least. Only two QB's in the history of the League have won more SB's and only one has taken his team to more SB's than has Tommy.

When we consider how much money that marginal players "earn" in this league (and what top five picks get before playing a single NFL down), Brady has already earned whatever the Patriots will pay him for the rest of his time with the team, if he doesn't play another down. In fact, I would argue that they can't pay him enough under the cap for what he has delivered.

Two years ago, he put together an amazing season after the organization had stripped away his key weapons and he came within a possession of going to what most wags would say was a very "winnable" Super Bowl. Last year, he rewrote the record book, took his team to the Big Game again, but was let down by his O-line and coaches in the Super Bowl. I wouldn't blame him if he was starting to think about life after football and I certainly don't begrudge his enjoying the perks of his status.

True, but that's looking at it from a historical standpoint. In the present, he and the other members of the 2008 Pats have to prove they are a SB-contender again. Remember, every season stands on its own, and while Tom Brady (career-wise) has nothing to prove, Tom Brady (QB of the 2008 Pats) has something to prove, and I hope he carries the same mentality.

Tom Brady has nothing to prove.

He might want to achieve some personal milestones (Matching Bradshaw and Montana in SB wins? Matching Elway in SB appearances?). Or, again, he might not. Whether or not he wants this depends solely on his own internal wiring and I've never even met the guy, so I just don't know what motivates him. We can all speculate, but we don't know.

He might want to help his teammates who haven't won rings of their own show that they can contend again this season, but he won't be "proving" anything about Tom Brady, who is already a HOF QB and the greatest leader of an NFL franchise of his generation.

My God, we're spoiled. Any other fan base in the league would crap themselves if they had a QB with as much to "prove" as Tom Brady. Any fan base.

My God, we're spoiled. Any other fan base in the league would crap themselves if they had a QB with as much to "prove" as Tom Brady. Any fan base.

Yep. He's a real slacker our Tommy is.

Tom Brady has nothing to prove.

He might want to achieve some personal milestones (Matching Bradshaw and Montana in SB wins? Matching Elway in SB appearances?). Or, again, he might not. Whether or not he wants this depends solely on his own internal wiring and I've never even met the guy, so I just don't know what motivates him. We can all speculate, but we don't know.

He might want to help his teammates who haven't won rings of their own show that they can contend again this season, but he won't be "proving" anything about Tom Brady, who is already a HOF QB and the greatest leader of an NFL franchise of his generation.

Brady has to prove himself every game, or else he wouldn't be QB of the Patriots. Games and championships aren't won on past accomplishments. Reputations just don't show up and win games - if that were the case the Pats would have won 6 of 7 titles and the Mannings would still be chasing the Lombardi.

Brady has to prove himself every game, or else he wouldn't be QB of the Patriots. Games and championships aren't won on past accomplishments. Reputations just don't show up and win games - if that were the case the Pats would have won 6 of 7 titles and the Mannings would still be chasing the Lombardi.

He wants to win every time he steps on the field, but he should have nothing left to prove to anyone but...MAYBE...himself. The guy could retire by dinner tonight and I wouldn't think he owed me anything; I'd thank him for all he's given me as a football fan. And then I'd brace for the inevitable Pats suckage to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes