PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2015 NFL Combine Thread

I think they had Donovan Smith at 6'5 1/4" 341 lb at the Senior Bowl. He's been training out in San Diego. Maybe, he's grown a little with the warmer weather:) With Scar headed to the combine. Sure looks like we will be addressing the OL. He recommended Stork last year. Erving would be tough to pass on at 32 if he's there. Plays LG and can prob be your gameday backup C. Allows you to keep a couple of jumbo guys as your 6th and 7th ol on gameday like Fleming and Cannon.

@nfldraftscout: Fun fact on Jeff Heuerman: Ohio State folks told me he's Urban Meyer's favorite player all-time. Including Tim Tebow.
He'll be taken by NE, not a doubt in my mind

Well if you are giving you're coaches a rest during combine week, just use your ex-coaches.
letting his current coaches rest tells me a few things, 1) The combine is overrated 2) These legendary 'retirees' aren't really retired 3) He's looking for Interior or versatile linemen

He'll be taken by NE, not a doubt in my mind

The three guys I have liked at TE the most in the process so far have been James, Williams and Huereman. James looks like an all potential type player, Williams will have the biggest cost, and Huereman just did exactly what was asked, played hurt, and didnt complain.

I like all 3 for us fo a variety of reasons, but you might have the smart money in this one.

I think they had Donovan Smith at 6'5 1/4" 341 lb at the Senior Bowl. He's been training out in San Diego. Maybe, he's grown a little with the warmer weather:) With Scar headed to the combine. Sure looks like we will be addressing the OL. He recommended Stork last year. Erving would be tough to pass on at 32 if he's there. Plays LG and can prob be your gameday backup C. Allows you to keep a couple of jumbo guys as your 6th and 7th ol on gameday like Fleming and Cannon.

If I had to guess right now, and this'll change as the combine progresses, I'd go with Erving at 32 and Bobby Hart on day three. Two main reasons:

1. Dante's involvement with the FSU line and his presence at the combine
2. BB talking about the Tennessee OL all being in the draft last year voluntarily, something which the media picked up on. A smoke screen perhaps? When really he was focused on the FSU OL over a two year period.

If I had to guess right now, and this'll change as the combine progresses, I'd go with Erving at 32 and Bobby Hart on day three. Two main reasons:

1. Dante's involvement with the FSU line and his presence at the combine
2. BB talking about the Tennessee OL all being in the draft last year voluntarily, something which the media picked up on. A smoke screen perhaps? When really he was focused on the FSU OL over a two year period.

Just thought of a third reason:

FSU OL = Rutgers secondary?

The three guys I have liked at TE the most in the process so far have been James, Williams and Huereman. James looks like an all potential type player, Williams will have the biggest cost, and Huereman just did exactly what was asked, played hurt, and didnt complain.

I like all 3 for us fo a variety of reasons, but you might have the smart money in this one.

I'm not seeing it with James. Looks slow and I'm yet to see him block anyone. Good hands and a smooth route runner but considering some people are very high on him, I'm underwhelmed thus far.

A few early measurements being reported by Dane Brugler, Gil Brandt, Mike Loyko and others:

- Jameis Winston: 6' 3 3/4" 231#
- Marcus Mariota: 6' 3 3/4" 222#
- DGB at 237# (no height listed yet)

An interesting Day 3 OL to keep an eye on is BJ Finney from Kansas St. 6'4" 318# with 32" arms. Played center, could project to guard. Was a team captain as a sophomore. Grid thinks he lacks power. Gil Brandt thinks he could step in as a year 1 starter.

if DGB's weight is good weight, holy crap

if DGB's weight is good weight, holy crap

It's a lot of weight for a WR to carry. If he runs well, it will be good for him. If not, there will be more issues. Is he a WR/TE tweener? Is he out of shape?

EDIT: DGB reportedly 6'5", though not confirmed. Initial height numbers being reported are rounded. Calvin Johnson was 6'5" 239# in 2007, and ran a 4.35 40 (and later put up a 42.5" VJ and 11'7" BJ).

Last edited:
It's a lot of weight for a WR to carry. If he runs well, it will be good for him. If not, there will be more issues. Is he a WR/TE tweener? Is he out of shape?

EDIT: DGB reportedly 6'5", though not confirmed. Initial height numbers being reported are rounded. Calvin Johnson was 6'5" 239# in 2007, and ran a 4.35 40 (and later put up a 42.5" VJ and 11'7" BJ).
That's Megatron in size.

We'll find out if that weight is from hardwork come Saturday.

How can anyone not be intrigued by this kid? 12 TDs in the SEC as a true sophomore and could be most physically gifted WR in awhile. His trainers say he's aiming at a 4.4 in the forty.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=b47ff96f-998a-df11-a5ba-001cc494dda6

As to his red flags, that's up to the front office to decide on. Based on what I've read, this is a kid who bounced from home to home across the state, not knowing his father and having an alcoholic mother. His life wasn't roses. He then had a problem with marijuana and had charges dropped about pushing a girl at a party or something.

What if DGB is a hardworking, misunderstood individual like Moss was as a youth?

I'm just not ready to dismiss drafting him. He may be the biggest wildcard in the draft.

Last edited:
From Mike Loyko's spreadsheet:

- Todd Gurley: 6' 0 5/8" 222#
- Melvin Gordon: 6' 0 5/8 215#
- Jay Ajayi: 5' 11 3/4" 221#
- TJ Yeldon: 6' 1 2/8" 226#
- Duke Johnson: 5' 9 1/8" 207#

@LRiddickESPN: Mariota absolutely killing it in combine interview process. Told he is as/more impressive than R.Wilson was, which is significant.

@CharlesRobinson: Dorial Green-Beckham was asked directly by Boston Herald's @jeffphowe about allegation of pushing woman some stairs. He basically ducked it.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back