PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2015 NFL Combine Thread

I thought it interesting that Belichick gave his coaches time off from the combine. Now I'm not a draft person like others here ... casual observer. But I've often thought the combine is really not a format that Belichick would find very useful anyways ... but it's there so he goes. So my question is does anyone here think the combine has any useful value to Belichick? If he gives his coaches time off that tells me he's really not afraid of missing anything. Perhaps the combine is more useful to the coaches as in learning the ropes.

Here's what Belichick thought of the 2013 combine:

In all seriousness though, what Manxman and mrscruff said.

Some interesting pre-Combine gossip from Tony Pauline, on Walter Football:
A week and a day earlier than usual, the 2015 NFL Combine kicks off in just four days with the offensive linemen taking to the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium. So what's the latest word on the blockers as the football world descends upon Indianapolis? Here are five stories to keep an eye on.
Florida_logo.gif
D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida:
Which offensive lineman will leave the Indianapolis with significantly improved draft grades? I'd gamble on D.J. Humphries of Florida. I presently grade Humphries as a 3rd rounder, earlier than most, but the feeling is he could move even higher with a good combine performance. Scouts believe Humphries is one of the most athletic tackles in this years class and holds as much upside as any of the top rated blockers. Playing the year at 280-pounds, he presently tips the scales at just over 300-pounds and is being tutored by former New York Giant offensive lineman William Roberts. Expect not only good testing marks from Humphries but a solid performance in position drills as his ability to effortlessly move about the field and change direction will surely impress.

Utah_logo.gif
Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah:
Another junior offensive lineman I expect to leave the combine with a buzz is Utah junior Jeremiah Poutasi. The Utes starting left tackle the past two seasons after manning the right side as a freshman, most teams grade Poutasi at guard with some now referring to him as Mike Iupati Jr. I graded Poutasi as an early third round pick and have been told scouts rate him much higher than those on the outside (media).

Pittsburgh_logo.gif
T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh:
Many grade T.J. Clemmings as a mid-first round choice but it's an opinion those affiliated with the league never shared. Sources told me the early first round grades placed on Clemmings were unwarranted and set up unreasonable expectations at the Senior Bowl. Most now believe Clemmings needs a strong combine performance and pro-day to stay in the first round. And though the short term picture may not be as rosy as some predict, league insiders all feel Clemmings best football lay ahead as he's still learning to play on the offensive line. There's also a belief Clemmings could start his pro-career at guard, something I've said all along, before being kicked outside to tackle.

ColoradoState_logo.gif
Ty Sambrailo, OT, Colorado State:
Another top rated blocker who needs to turn in a good combine performance is Tyler Sambrailo. The Colorado State tackle struggled at times during the Senior Bowl and teams came away questioning his functional football strength. On the other hand his athleticism is not a concern (still remember watching as Sambrailo caught a touchdown pass last season). Sambrailo may not have the fastest forty time on Friday but check and see how his shuttle and 3-cone times stack up against the rest of the offensive linemen. There's still a chance Sambrailo slides into the late part of round one. I previously posted on the Seattle Seahawks admiration for Sambrailo and now hear the Green Bay Packers are in the mix. The team could lose Bryan Bulaga via free agency in the coming weeks and the feeling is Sambrailo's athleticism and ability to easily move around the field makes him a perfect fit for the Aaron Rodgers led Packers.

Hobart_logo.gif
Ali Marpet, G, Hobart:
After his sensational performance at the Senior Bowl a lot of eyes will be on Ali Marpet in Indianapolis. The Hobart product has been working with former All Pro Bob Whitfield, who's taken to the small school lineman. I'm told teams are struggling how to grade Marpet and at what position. Most teams have listed him at guard or center, with a few slotting Marpet at the right tackle spot. Almost no one has listed him as a left tackle as arm length is a concern (calling Jeff Backus!). Expect Marpet to put up solid not sensational numbers this week (5-second forty, 30-reps on the bench). I'm told Hobart will try and hold their pro-day on March 26th, the same day Syracuse is hosting NFL teams. The plan is for Marpet to workout early in the morning before scouts make the one hour drive to Syracuse, who has denied Marpet the opportunity to participate in their pro-day.

http://walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Good news about Clemmings. Hope he doesn't blow away anyone at the combine and is there at 32. The dream would be to trade down a little bit and still get him early in the second. But this might be a bit too greedy.

Clemmings probably has the most upside of any OL in this draft. But (1) he's better suited to tackle than guard, and (2) he's pretty raw, and there seems to be a common idea that he'll need time, compared with Cam Erving or AJ Cann.

Clemmings probably has the most upside of any OL in this draft. But (1) he's better suited to tackle than guard, and (2) he's pretty raw, and there seems to be a common idea that he'll need time, compared with Cam Erving or AJ Cann.

I would see him more of a shot at a high ceiling insurance if the contract talks with Solder go sideways (in 2016). Would not expect any immediate returns. If he can consistently play guard by September it is bonus value.

According to Twitter, Scar is joining the Pats staff at the combine..

Thats abit of undermining GuGe ? You can coach them, but you can't help picking them ?

Thats abit of undermining GuGe ? You can coach them, but you can't help picking them ?

Not at all. Reiss has noted that because of the Super Bowl cutting in to the off-season, BB has given the coaching staff the option of not attending the Combine:
1. The Patriots are behind their normal pace when it comes to the NFL draft as a result of winning Super Bowl XLIX, and that’s just fine with head coach Bill Belichick. In fact, it’s my understanding that Belichick has given members of the coaching staff the option of whether to attend this year’s NFL combine, which begins this week. Patriots coaches usually attend, but many figure to skip it this year as they've earned some well-deserved time to recharge their batteries.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...193/quick-hit-thoughts-around-patriots-nfl-15

So presumably Googe is getting a well-deserved rest, and Scar is filling in to do some preliminary OL evaluation.

I hope Googe makes the picks because I used to hate all the undersized Olinemen Scar wasted picks on.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
AFC scout on Green-Beckham: "If not for all that stuff, he'd be the best receiver to come out since Calvin Johnson." http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap3000000470919/article/dorial-greenbeckham-hits-combine-with-major-talentconcerns…

I personally find that a ludicrous statement. I can understand Green-Beckham being considered a rare pure physical talent. But aside from the considerable baggage, he hasn't shown any sustained productivity or ability to run a diverse route tree. Since CJ we've seen guys like Julio Jones who was not only an athletic freak (6'3" 220# with a 4.34 40, 38.5" VJ, 11'3" BJ and 6.86 3-cone) but also a complete WR (including a blocker) with sustained productivy. Or Mike Evans (4.46 40 with a 37" VJ at 6'5" 231#, and ridiculous productivity). I can understand "rare raw physical specimen", but not "best receiver".

Some very early OL measurements starting to trickle in:

- Reese Diskmukes (296#) the only OL under 300#, per Gil Brandt
- TJ Clemings with 35 1/8" arms
- Cedric Ogbuehi with 35 7/7" arms, reportedly 2nd longest among OLs
- Brandon Scherff with short (33 3/8") arms; Bryan Bulaga and Riley Reiff both had 33 1/4" arms

Florida OT DJ Humphries reportedly weight in at 6' 5" 307#. That will help help, unless it's bad weight.

@nfldraftscout: Melvin Gordon is going to "win" the weigh in. I'm told he's up to 218 lbs and "looks like a linebacker".

@MoveTheSticks: Only thing keeping DJ Humphries from being my top OT in this draft was the unknown factor of his size. Checked in at 6'5 307. Works for me

AJ Cann: 6' 4" 313# with 32 5/8" arms and 10 1/4" hands, per both Josh Norris and Mike Loyko on twitter.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back