PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

OK, here we go with a first ever attempt at a mock draft ...

First off, this is not my "dream" scenario, and given BB's M.O. regarding roster building and associated "management of information," this could never be anything but a ludicrously remote possibility of what "could" happen, but what the heck, here is my scenario for what it's worth:

• Re-sign: Edelman :)eek:), Fletcher, Svitek, Aiken
• Restructure and/or extend: Wilfork, Mankins, McCourty, Gostkowski, Connolly
• Buh-bye: Talib :)eek:), Blount, Spikes, Wendell
• Hello: Chandler (TE)
• "Bill wants to talk to you, bring your playbook with you": Mallett to Vikings for #72

• Draft:

#29 Kyle Fuller, CB
#62 Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE
#72 Christian Jones, LB
#93 Joel Bitonio, G
#126 A.J. McCarron, QB
#182 Deandre Coleman, DE
#190 Aaron Colvin, CB
#221 Trey Millard, FB

• Explanations:

Regarding to Edelman and Talib, this is a real quandry, isn't it? Both were super valuable to the team this year, but both have had injury issues in years past, and now both are likely looking for significant pay days. Based on his position, and what he is clearly capable of doing when he is right physically and mentally/emotionally, Talib is a lot more valuable to the team in my opinion, but for the same reason it's my perception that the market for Talib (from his perspective) will be better than the market for Edelman. I think Edelman's market value will be hindered by a pretty deep-looking WR draft class, among other things. For this reason, and based on the value Edelman brings to the Pats based on versatility and special teams contributions, I think the Pats will offer him close enough to what any other team will offer him, and he'll wind up back here. Some wishful thinking on my part, probably.

Regarding free agency, I only listed Chandler, but expect another couple of veterans to provide depth at OL, DL, and LB.

Regarding the draft, specifically Kyle Fuller in Round 1, this is based a lot on my expectations that they will lose Talib, for sure, but since this whole exercise is a complete "WTF" for me anyway, I thought it amusing (and not totally ridiculous) to go for what is hopefully a non-injury-prone version of Ras-I Dowling.

I stopped reading after Kyle Fuller and ASJ.

Because I love it that much :) . The mock is a perfect marriage of my favourites and Mayo's. Nice job.

Truer words.... Donald is becoming, by far, the most overrated player at the combine.

I just wanted to point out that my issue is with comparisons to HOFers and the like when the guys he's being compared to are pretty close to unique in NFL history.

John Randle? There can be only one.

I just wanted to point out that my issue is with comparisons to HOFers and the like when the guys he's being compared to are pretty close to unique in NFL history.

That is a good point and a nice Highlander reference.

I don't think it's unreasonable to note that Donald has general similarities in his playing style to Randle. But beyond that ... I doubt any defensive tackle will put up 9 seasons of 10 or more sacks in a long, long time.

Donald's hardly the only guy being held up to a standard of once-in-a-lifetime HOFers:

Jadeveon Clowney: The next Lawrence Taylor or colossal NFL draft bust? | The MMQB with Peter King

He won't put up 20 sacks, or bat down 16 balls. But he'll be a guy who the offense has to account for on every single snap, or he'll totally blow up the play. And he'll be a beast on 3rd down, our Achilles' heel.

It's all about pressure. If he can do that then his teammates will reap the rewards.

I don't think it's unreasonable to note that Donald has general similarities in his playing style to Randle. But beyond that ... I doubt any defensive tackle will put up 9 seasons of 10 or more sacks in a long, long time.

Donald's hardly the only guy being held up to a standard of once-in-a-lifetime HOFers:

Jadeveon Clowney: The next Lawrence Taylor or colossal NFL draft bust? | The MMQB with Peter King

I get that people go overboard over the numbers at the combine. I really do. It's one of the negatives of the combine, not because of the usual amount of hyperbole, but because of the extremes. Mayock was doing it during the broadcasts, too.

Truer words.... Donald is becoming, by far, the most overrated player at the combine.

Right. It had nothing to do with his Senior Bowl week where he went up against the best competition and basically owned it every day he was there.

I think most people here are level headed enough to realize that he is not John Randle but basically just the body type who has shown an ability to rush the passer well. Just like every small white receiver being compared to Welker and every short QB being compared to Flutie or Brees.

Right. It had nothing to do with his Senior Bowl week where he went up against the best competition and basically owned it every day he was there.

It had little to nothing at all to do with the Senior Bowl week.

I think most people here are level headed enough to realize that he is not John Randle but basically just the body type who has shown an ability to rush the passer well. Just like every small white receiver being compared to Welker and every short QB being compared to Flutie or Brees.

I didn't point to anyone here. It was something I noticed all over the place. It was similar to what happened with Poe 2 years ago, but without the reservations. That's sort of the point. Poe was a 350 lb freak of nature, but people still looked at his weak competition and thought his production was too low. Clowney is another freak, but people have pointed to a production drop and a questioned work ethic. Robinson is talked about as being raw.

Donald was basically getting a pass, on the other hand.

- Ryan Mallett and a 2015 fifth round draft pick traded to Vikings for #40 pick in the 2014 draft.
- Picks #29 and #182 traded to the Seattle Seahawks for #32, #64, and #134

- #32-Stephon Tuitt, DT
- #40-Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG
- #62-Jimmy Ward, DB
- #64-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE
- #93-Marcus Martin, OC
- #126-Antone Exum, DB
- #134-Jeff Janis, WR
- #190-Aaron Lynch, DE
- #TBD-Zach Kerr, DT
- #221-Trey Burton, TE

- Ryan Mallett and a 2015 fifth round draft pick traded to Vikings for #40 pick in the 2014 draft.

- #32-Stephon Tuitt, DT
- #40-Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG
- #62-Jimmy Ward, DB
- #64-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE
- #93-Marcus Martin, OC
- #126-Antone Exum, DB
- #134-Jeff Janis, WR
- #190-Aaron Lynch, DE
- #TBD-Zach Kerr, DT
- #221-Trey Burton, TE

This might be the first mock with Jimmie Ward in it. I approve.

La'Roi Glover is two.

That trade could only happen if the Seahawks were absolutely desperate to move up three spots. The Pats only gave up a 4 for a similar move in 2012.

La'Roi was good and all, but he's no John Randle.

He wasn't as good but he was pretty close for a guy playing the same position and having the same height, weight and arm length. People don't realize Glover was a 6 time pro bowler, 1 time first team all pro, 3 time second team all pro and part of the 2000's all decade team. That's beyond solid to put it mildly.

Not even close, and thanks for helping to make my point.

If you knew Donald or any prospect for that matter would have the career Glover did you wouldn't trade up to get him? I don't think I made your point at all.

That trade could only happen if the Seahawks were absolutely desperate to move up three spots. The Pats only gave up a 4 for a similar move in 2012.

The reason I used Seattle is we hold #29 and SF holds #30 so if they both were targeting a player it would allow them to jump ahead of the 49ers.

Trade #1 for mid 2 and mid 3.

Trade Mallet for high 3rd. Yep.

Cut Wilfork.

Sign Kevin William, Will Smith as old guys who have a little left.

2a. Kyle Fuller CB
2b. Kyle Van Noy LB

3a. Joel Bitonio G/C
3b. Fiedowitz TE
3c. Terrance Brooks S
4. Michael Campanaro WR using 1 6th to move up 14 spots
5. Weston Richburg C
6. Zach Kerr DT
7. Ted Bolser TE

If you knew Donald or any prospect for that matter would have the career Glover did you wouldn't trade up to get him? I don't think I made your point at all.

That's because, judging by your question, you didn't understand my point.

The reason I used Seattle is we hold #29 and SF holds #30 so if they both were targeting a player it would allow them to jump ahead of the 49ers.

I'm not saying Seattle wouldn't make that trade. I'm saying that BB isn't going to get their 2 + 5 to make that trade. At most a 3, and probably just a 4 or a 5.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back