PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talib absent from practice

The Pats have an extra day of practice this week. I am betting he was given the day off for a maintenance day.

Not sure why you're trying to jump all over me, but the safe play is always for the player to immediately go down and end the game.

I would think that everyone would agree on that 100%.

As I said, it doesn't make what Mangold did any better, but any pee wee or high school football coach will tell you that you don't attempt to put yourself in front of what is best for the team.

Making a game saving INT to end the game is always going to call for going down, anyone will tell you that.

I'm not jumping all over you, and yeah, if he had been clear-headed, knowing the clock, the time-out situation, etc., he should have stepped right out of bounds, or fallen to the carpet. In the excitement of the moment, he didn't do that, but he did get near the sidelines, and had Mangold not dived for his knees, we wouldn't even be beginning to heap any criticism on Talib whatsoever for that play. After the initial move, as soon as the Jets got near him, he went out of bounds.

If I sound a little hot, it's because nothing Talib did begins to justify Mangold's play. He went for the legs TO INJURE, as he proved with his alligator roll (and of course he knew he was out of bounds when he went into the roll). He should be hammered by the league for that - it was a cheaper shot than Suh gave against the Vikings which cost Suh 100k.

If I sound a little hot, it's because nothing Talib did begins to justify Mangold's play. He went for the legs TO INJURE, as he proved with his alligator roll (and of course he knew he was out of bounds when he went into the roll). He should be hammered by the league for that - it was a cheaper shot than Suh gave against the Vikings which cost Suh 100k.

Agree entirely. He definitely should be fined heavily for the cheap shot.

If Talib wished to risk injury in order to try to score a meaningless TD, then he needs to be disciplined by the team.

I was yelling, get down, get down. Made no sense to do anything else. If Troy Brown had been playing for the Jets he might have caused a fumble and run it back to field goal range and lost the game. It was a selfish, unthinking response and I would bet BB reminded him of that later.

I find this thread interesting (on an off news day). There seem to be two camps. For the most part, we just can't see focusing on the issue of those of the opposing view. That is certainly true for me.

Most of us focus on punishing a bad actor for a low hit. I agree that this activity is being punished by the league much more this year, and this should be the case. Of course, most of the same posters would be appalled if one of our players was fined or considered for suspension for similar actions. For Mangold, it was what is was, the kind of play that was COMMON and ACCEPTED by most last year, or certainly a 2-4 years ago. Of course, the late hit has always been actionable. Curiously, Many here do not want the league to continue on its never-ending campaign to reduce the risks of the game, but that is another discussion.

The rest of us focus on what OUR player could have done and should have done. We focus on the risk that Talib took, the kind of bonehead play that could have cost the game and/or his season (obviously damaging the team's hopes). We have no question but that Belichick and staff will have had discussion with Talib. I expect that the team will have extra discussions on the importance of situational football, with this play as an obvious example.

I'm torn between wheter Talib did the right or wrong thing.
On one hand: The safe play is to go down.
On the other: Patricia (pretty much right infront of Talib) was waving for Talib to take it upfield, and he did what the coach wanted him to.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 29s
Alfonzo Dennard and Aqib Talib are both at practice. They look fine.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 29s
Alfonzo Dennard and Aqib Talib are both at practice. They look fine.

At ease, men. False alarm. Please go back to freaking out about Danny Amendola's groin, Brady yelling at rookies, Bill Belichick's Rutgers fetish, Spygate, or whatever else it is that puts purpose in your lives. Over and out.

Per the Twitter feed, Talib was excused for a "family emergency."

Similarly, Cole missed practice to be there for the birth of his child.

Per the Twitter feed, Talib was excused for a "family emergency."

Similarly, Cole missed practice to be there for the birth of his child.

Dog-fakers, both of them. I've given up on them contributing anything this year.

Dog-fakers, both of them. I've given up on them contributing anything this year.

Welker would never have left the team for the birth of his child... but that's more because his wife was afraid he'd drop it after the delivery :rimshot:

I would note that Talib has publicly indicated that he does not think that Mangold's hit was a dirty hit.

Sudfeld had full participation in practice. Gronk and Amendola, understandably, were limited. Sudfeld is good news as it gives Brady at least a big body in the red zone, even if he can't contribute anywhere else (which remains to be seen).

I would note that Talib has publicly indicated that he does not think that Mangold's hit was a dirty hit.

What else was he going to say? "the punk tried ending my season"?

It's a non-statement, just like Brady saying he would play the Safety position the same way Dashon Goldson does.

Sudfeld had full participation in practice. Gronk and Amendola, understandably, were limited. Sudfeld is good news as it gives Brady at least a big body in the red zone, even if he can't contribute anywhere else (which remains to be seen).

Just having a reasonable facimile of a TE threat will do wonders for the WRs.

What else was he going to say? "the punk tried ending my season"?

It's a non-statement, just like Brady saying he would play the Safety position the same way Dashon Goldson does.

The Jaguars are a very good football team, with a lot of great players.

Well said, I really want Sudfeld to do well he has upside "IF" he can remain healthy.

And tight ends have been a problem for the Bucs so far this season. Now i'm not saying Sudfeld will come out and put up a Gronk vs Steelers '10 type performance.

But going by the first 2 weeks there could be some plays to be made for him.

I haven't given up at all on Sudfeld. I still think he could wind up being a very good player. I just hope it's relatively sooner, rather than later.

The Jaguars are a very good football team, with a lot of great players.

VeNBg.jpg

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back