PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Neal to Reserve/PUP, O'Callaghan to IR, Webster, Eckel, and Wendell released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stephen Neal to Reserve/PUP, O'Callaghan to IR, Webster, Eckel, and Wendell relea

Regardless, it's Cassel or Guttierrez, all the same when it comes to finalizing 53 that includes 3 QBs.

I agree with those cuts and then would say from the list provided that these seven are likely gone:
Ray Ventrone
Stephen Spach
Kenny Smith
Steve Fifita
Santonio Thomas,
Lewis Sanders
Mike Richardson
I'm not sure I would call these likely...If they are jeeping 3 TEs, I would expect Spach to be the 3rd...but at this point, I am leaning against that as well. Thomas may be in a battle with KSmith and Fifita, if LSmith is out for an extended tme. SO one of the three could make it to the 53. Ventrone has shown how versatile he is and looks tough as a wideout...unfortunately, the numbers are against him. LSanders might stick if they are looking for depth at CB. Really, the only one who I would say is likely is Richardson and he's been injured. LIKELY....is hardly the correct word here... ALthough I think there may be a number from that bunch...but it all depends in what direction the team wishes to go.

Re: Stephen Neal to Reserve/PUP, O'Callaghan to IR, Webster, Eckel, and Wendell relea

With both Neal and O'Callaghan out of the fold for a while, who is Kazcur going to give all his pills too?

I would not characterize Matt Cassel to be an "easy cut" by any stretch.

It would be a VERY easy cut if I was making em'.........;)

Re: When will we know the cuts...

A little of both. I was talking with some reporters this morning, and we all came to the same conclusion -- he's getting healthy at the wrong time. If he was injured for a little while longer, they could have PUPped him, and if he had gotten hurt earlier and started to come around, I think they would have kept him. But they just don't have enough to go on with him, and these cuts came at a lousy time for him. I also his release may indicate they are happier with their depth at corner than we may know.

Webster could not go on PUP. Having practiced once, he was ineligible under NFL rules.

Webster's release is a surprise under any scenario. He was the top CB in the first week of camp. That certainly should have bought him a spot above #75 on the depth chart, above guys like S Mark Dillard.

Too bad on Neal. Hopefully he can come back right after week six.
Coupled with O'Callaghan, it's a tough blow.

Webster is not behind Dillard on the depth chart. Belichick simply gave him a week to find a job elsewhere. Dillard receives an additional audition for spots on various practice squads.

Re: When will we know the cuts...

Webster could not go on PUP. Having practiced once, he was ineligible under NFL rules.

Right, but since Webster only practiced in the first two days of camp before getting injured, Chris was simply saying Webster came two days away from being PUP eligible.

O'Callaghan is the Patriots version of JD Drew, he just can't stay healthy.

Re: I expect some IR's today

I didn't expect O'Cal to be IR'ed.

That sux.

WTF happened to him?

I didn't expect O'Cal to be IR'ed.

That sux.

WTF happened to him?
He has a history of shoulder problems dating back into college. Frankly I'm surprised more OL don't lose time for shoulder injuries.

Neal to PUP is good, having him come back mid-season will improve the running game down the stretch - I love that guy working in the second level.

Sad to see Webster slip away like that, the guy's been hurt a lot in recent years, but he's a good CB. I'd have loved to see a healthy camp for the corners, that would have been a battle worth watching.

I'm not surprised that Eckel got released, just surprised that it was so soon. :(

I just hope my other UDFA binkie (Ventrone) doesn't follow him. :( :(

He has a history of shoulder problems dating back into college. Frankly I'm surprised more OL don't lose time for shoulder injuries.

Neal to PUP is good, having him come back mid-season will improve the running game down the stretch - I love that guy working in the second level.

Sad to see Webster slip away like that, the guy's been hurt a lot in recent years, but he's a good CB. I'd have loved to see a healthy camp for the corners, that would have been a battle worth watching.

So who do you think should man the RG position until Neal returns? Ass-u-ming that Kaczur stays at RT, of course.

As for lil' Webster, perhaps he is re-signed, if healthy, after Opening Day. This might be more a financial decision than a health/talent decision.

Glad to see that Aiken wasn't IR'ed or released.
He had looked good up until his injury.

If he and Washington are both available, it's a boost to receiving and special teams.

Glad to see that Aiken wasn't IR'ed or released.
He had looked good up until his injury.

I have a feeling he gets IR'd if he doesn't play tomorrow night.

Hochstein is Koppen's back-up at center,they won't cut him.He's also worked at center with Tom Brady.

Hochstein is a jack of all trades on the Pats OL - He has as much chance this year of getting cut with a weak OL as Brady does

Re: Patriots roster moves

reserve physically unable season ending for neal??

No. He had knee surgery for the injury in the Superbowl. He had shoulder surgery for an injury that he sustained mid season, and played with it. It takes at least 8 months to come back from knee surgery. Shoulder surgery takes a while too. And the the lifting to regain strength in both the legs and shoulders, will take time too. I expect to seem him, if at all, about game 9 or 10. Just rounding into shape for the playoff run...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call