PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers vs. Patriots, Thornography's KJR and other analyses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Good stuff as usual:

Knee-Jerk Reactions, Week 7: Patriots vs. Steelers

I’m fascinated by Josh McDaniels’ approach to this one. We all know the McOffense can shape-shift at will like Mystique. And you’d assume its at-rest, default setting (its Rebecca Romijn/Jennifer Lawrence mode) would be the Rob Gronkowski/Martellus Bennett combination, create mismatches and chuck the ball all over the place. But in Pittsburgh, Gronk and Bennett rarely saw the field at the same time. And usually when they did, either one stayed in to block (the long catch by Gronk to set up the final touchdown) or was a running play (the three tight end look with James Develin they pounded LeGarrette Blount behind to kill the clock in the fourth). For the most part, McDaniels preferred a Posse look, with one running back, one tight end and three wideouts. It says everything about how stocked his toolbox is that he can use them the way he did and still put up four touchdowns despite the turnovers and drops.

— Of course, now that the battle station we call Gronk is fully operational, he alone is enough to make defenses suffer complete meltdowns. Consider his touchdown catch. The Pats ran a three man route combo I’ve seen called “Parachute,” where Danny Amendola ran a deep curl, Julian Edelman a shallow cross and Gronk ran the “chute,” a go route. The play side safety was Sean Davis, who left the seam to go help on Amendola and looked like he simply wanted no part of covering Gronk. Which makes zero sense football-wise, but perfect sense when it comes to self-preservation.

— More than anything, the gameplan seemed to be about pushing the Steelers front-seven around. And it succeeded. They used a lot of traps and zone blocks. Blount’s first touchdown was a stretch run where Nate Solder rode L.T. Walton into the interior of the line, Gronk came across the goal line to snowplow Mike Mitchell and Blount cut back against the grain for the score.

— The first touchdown was a perfectly blocked screen to James White, set up by David Andrews engaging Ricardo Mathews before slipping outside and Joe Thuney submarining Lawrence Timmons. All done with Gronk out of the play, split out as a wide-Y on the back side of the play.

Also good insights from Chatham:

Former Patriots linebacker shows how RB LeGarrette Blount dominated the Steelers

Apologies if any of those links have already been posted elsewhere.

— I really appreciate the NFL running those “Football is family” ads where a player does some woman’s job so she can go get her breast cancer screening. I’m looking forward to the one where a guy goes to help out Josh Brown’s wife so she can get treated for broken bones and contusions.

Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore