PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers To Sign LeGarrette Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount was a great open field runner and great against tired defenses. Surprised he was let go that cheap, but his fatal flaw was, no burst in short yardage. At 250 lbs, you need to move the pile and the Denver game was instructive. He got stuffed and that set the tone for the game.

Good luck, great nephew of Sun Ra. I loved watching you rumble like a wild bull.

Another BB and K rafty blunder......We now NEED another RBC. Fumbles Ridley better figure out how to hang onto the ball but he is stubborn and doubt he ever will. Evergreen is good change of pace back and receiving RB......not every down or a late game clock killer. Losing Blount with no backup plan is a major blunder. Not sure of status of Bolden. ....but he is made of glass and cant stay healthy! BB blunder.....now pats FO must fix it

Another BB and K rafty blunder......We now NEED another RBC. Fumbles Ridley better figure out how to hang onto the ball but he is stubborn and doubt he ever will. Evergreen is good change of pace back and receiving RB......not every down or a late game clock killer. Losing Blount with no backup plan is a major blunder. Not sure of status of Bolden. ....but he is made of glass and cant stay healthy! BB blunder.....now pats FO must fix it

I see you are one of the many that severely overrated Blount because of two games against run defenses that were as bad as the Pats last season.

Through the first 11 games last season
Blount 82 carries 374 yards 4.5 avg 2 TD
Bolden 51 carries 263 yards 5.1 avg 3 TD

Blount was no better than Bolden through 3/4 of the season last year.

Also you do realize Blount fumbled as many times as Ridley last year and he carried the ball less than him right?

I see you are one of the many that severely overrated Blount because of two games against run defenses that were as bad as the Pats last season.

Through the first 11 games last season
Blount 82 carries 374 yards 4.5 avg 2 TD
Bolden 51 carries 263 yards 5.1 avg 3 TD

Blount was no better than Bolden through 3/4 of the season last year.

Also you do realize Blount fumbled as many times as Ridley last year and he carried the ball less than him right?

A lot of 3 yards and a cloud of dust plays simply forgotten. Guy played well while he was here. Fantastic for a few games but he is not the next coming of Curtis Martin or Corey Dillon. I appreciate his services to the team and am glad he is helping out his family. Good luck to you Blount.

I don't think they are going to spend anything more than the minimum for a RB this offseason. they are going to try and re-sign both Vereen and Ridley and that's where their allotted money for the unit as a whole is going to go. Imo they should get them done as soon as possible because I believe both are going to have great seasons in 2014.

Keep in mind we can only have so many people on our football team, too, and we've brought in a new WR, we're going to want to hopefully keep our rookies and see how they develop, we're going to be drafting some new guys.

Money and cap aside, we still can't keep everybody.
I think Blount is a logical choice to go.

I think Ridley is going to have a great year this year too. Our passing attack should be better and that will open more up for him.

Blount did everything New England asked of him and then some. I have nothing but good wishes for him in Pittsburgh.

Ridleys carry to fumble ratio is equivalent to Blount and he is a better runner.

I liked him, and wish he could have stayed, but it's pretty clear we have more pressing needs. Good luck to him, except against the Pats.

This sucks! i hope Ridley is taking a crash course on how to hold on to a football.

This sucks! i hope Ridley is taking a crash course on how to hold on to a football.

Here we go again with the Ridley piling on. Running backs fumble footballs. You people need realize what Green-Ellis did was a rare thing.

Also after the contract Blount got he better be taking a crash course too

Blount 153 carries- 3 fumbles
Ridley 178 carries- 3 fumbles

the good news is he wont be the pats KR in 2014

Blount was a nice player for us in 2013 but the legend that was Blount grew beyond the scope of reality. He gained 322 of his 772 yards in Q4, 455 of his 772 yards came while we were winning, and against Denver he had 26 rushing yards in the 2 games combined.

I wish him luck in Pittsburg, he was a great luxury to have last season for $680K but with the increased salary, I do not think he would have been as beloved.

He did us a good job for us, but i am fine with him going. He surely has great vision for that open path, if he was a hard hitting back he would be hall of fame level, but i felt that every time some touch him he falls. He made big plays for us, but i want to see if we were trailing behind, could be bring us back? which it didn't happen last season.

As far as Ridley goes, it doesn't change much. He is our main guy and Bill should stop trying to bench him for fumbles, it will only damage his confidence at this point.

Maybe this is a payback from Sanders last year? Remember, BB made a evil move trying to either steal Sanders from the Steelers or put them in cap hell covering the offer sheet.

I was thinking about the Wendell signing and came to the conclusion that it was more a business management signing than anything. There's no names in the center FA market apart from Mack (who everyone knew was out of our range), and the draft scenario for that position is not that optimistic. A lot of teams could sign Wendell just to weak us. The Patriots is the focus from any team in the AFC with playoff ambitions. And make the Patriots weak stealing players certainly is a hot topic behind the enemy lines.

Wendell is not the answer at center, but analyzing the market this year maybe i'ts a case where it's bad with him, worst without him.

Maybe this is a payback from Sanders last year? Remember, BB made a evil move trying to either steal Sanders from the Steelers or put them in cap hell covering the offer sheet.

I was thinking about the Wendell signing and came to the conclusion that it was more a business management signing than anything. There's no names in the center FA market apart from Mack (who everyone knew was out of our range), and the draft scenario for that position is not that optimistic. A lot of teams could sign Wendell just to weak us. The Patriots is the focus from any team in the AFC with playoff ambitions. And make the Patriots weak stealing players certainly is a hot topic behind the enemy lines.

Wendell is not the answer at center, but analyzing the market this year maybe i'ts a case where it's bad with him, worst without him.

No, not payback, not an evil move, the offer for Sanders was a one year low salary contract that wouldn't (or didn't) put them in cap hell. Blount was signed because the Pats didn't want to pay him much money or commit to him more than one year. and the Steelers needed a backup RB.

Teams are more concerned about helping their own team rather than hurting another. If Wendell is not the answer for the Pats, how would another team signing him hurt the them?

I think you need to rethink this one, or stop trying to analyze it altogether.

Here we go again with the Ridley piling on. Running backs fumble footballs. You people need realize what Green-Ellis did was a rare thing.

Also after the contract Blount got he better be taking a crash course too

Blount 153 carries- 3 fumbles
Ridley 178 carries- 3 fumbles

When we initially brought Blount here one of my first responses was "if you guys think Ridley fumbles a lot, wait until you see Blount." Historically, Blount fumbles more than Ridley, as you've said.

I didn't mind him here, although I do think that many are focusing on his late season surge as opposed to his mediocre (although as Ausbacker points out, he pretty much did do what was asked of him) 3/4 of the season. The bottom line is that he was one of the players who was up for FA who had a decent shot of leaving. In this sense, I do not necessarily believe that it was a blunder for the front office to wish him well and plan for the next RB.

With the way our offense operates, we could benefit from taking a younger, cheaper player who may be able to push the pile in short yardage situations AND catch the ball out of the backfield as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe