PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers escape another Patriots hurdle to the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH I am dreaming you got that right....but I wasn't saying we would be in Tampa just that I would have liked a second chance at them because we pissed away the first match-up. And who knows as we have gotten the better of them in Pitt maybe we could have been going to Tampa.

There's not a doubt in my mind that we would have beaten the Titans. I wish we had a second chance at the Steelers too, but come on, we did lose Brady in the first game of the season. How far were we expecting to get this year?

maybe the pats losing brady had an effect but look at the schedule pitt played...
they deserve to be there for such a hard schedule.

I told a Steelers fan today to enjoy it this year because Brady is back next year. He said we beat the Pats before. I told him you lost the last 2 AFC Champioships to us.

He stopped talking :)

I told a Steelers fan today to enjoy it this year because Brady is back next year. He said we beat the Pats before. I told him you lost the last 2 AFC Champioships to us.

Haha, nice. The Pats have beat the Steelers 5 out of 6 times with Brady starting.

Hecks yeah...no doubt there is one team I'm happy we didn't play this year in the Playoffs...Brady only beat the Steelers once in the playoffs...Bledsoe won the other one...just saying...

But yeah...if there was ever a kryptonite for Cowher...it was the Patriots...but Tomlin...I don't know...he's different...I like having a Home AFC Title win...

Would I have liked to beat the Patriots with Brady in the Playoffs this year to get over that hurdle...yes Sir...am I happy that I didn't have to sit through that game and have my heart explode in my chest from the stress of it...yes Sir.

You think YOU got it tough out there? - HAH!!

I live 2 hours north of Philly and there are EQUAL amount of azzwipe fans for the Steelers and Eagles in my area - This year was purely unbearable and the worst may be yet to come!

Haha yea I am cringing at the thought of a Steeler win in 2 weeks. But at the same time, it did make 2001 and 2004 THAT much sweeter didn't it? :D

Haha yea I am cringing at the thought of a Steeler win in 2 weeks. But at the same time, it did make 2001 and 2004 THAT much sweeter didn't it? :D

Come on, admit it, you want some competition in this league and the Colts are boring...you want us to be good so that you can brag if you beat us...
:D

I'd prefer to win over a Brady Lead great Pats team then a dog Browns team. Or a win over the Cowboys means more to me than a win over the Texans.

There is something about having another "great" team to compete with, and jerk fans to argue with.

Come on, admit it, you want some competition in this league and the Colts are boring...you want us to be good so that you can brag if you beat us...

I'd prefer to win over a Brady Lead great Pats team then a dog Browns team. Or a win over the Cowboys means more to me than a win over the Texans.

There is something about having another "great" team to compete with, and jerk fans to argue with.

I agree about the great team part, but admittedly the jerk fans can really get to me :( I will say a majority of Steeler fans I know are good peeps but it's those annoying few that ruin it for me. And it sucks because otherwise the Steelers are a very likable and respectable team. See I'm rather passive when we win, I don't like to rub things in. But I still manage to hear alot whenever we lose (even when not against the Steelers). Maybe next time the Pats make it back to the top it'll be no more Mr. nice guy!!

Nice;) Plus the only 2 times they've gotten to the SB is when the Pats weren't part of their post season competition. Squealers have yet to prove they're capable of beating the Pats in the post season,at least in this decade. The Colts did it and the Broncos did it but didn't go on to the SB.

Ridiculous.

look, the Patriots would have been the favorites had Brady not gone down, but the Patriots had their shot against the Steelers at home and got DESTROYED!!!!!!!.

The Steelers earned this AFC Title, good luck to them, and may we meet in 2009.

If the Pats had made it to the playoffs, I think they would have done some damage. I am not here to say they would have made it to the superbowl but they were by far the hottest team down the stretch. Last three games they scored 109 points and only giving up 31. That was even in the rain and snow. Sure Pitt beat us this year but do you all forget the beat down we took from them in 2004? How did that turn out in the AFC Championship game. We returned the favor in their house. When all is said and done, Arizona will be holding the Lombardi trophy. They have the offensive power and the hunger to win. They have scored over 30 points in the last 3 playoff games and that was against quality teams. Good luck Cards!

O.K. You can give the Steelers credit for an amazing season against what was arguably the toughest schedule in the league :(

Based on what? They played 6 teams (if you count SD) that ended up going to the playoffs and lost to 4 of them.

I have to admit, I had to chuckle to myself yesterday when they mentioned that while the Steelers had hosted the AFCCG at Heinz three times, they hadn't won it there yet (this was during the game obviously) - because the first two times they went up against THE MIGHTY MIGHTY NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS! :D

I have to admit, I had to chuckle to myself yesterday when they mentioned that while the Steelers had hosted the AFCCG at Heinz three times, they hadn't won it there yet (this was during the game obviously) - because the first two times they went up against THE MIGHTY MIGHTY NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS! :D

Yup,and one regular season game they kicked our *, it was a massacre-Halloween Massacre. Post season though? Rock and roll baby:D

O.K. You can give the Steelers credit for an amazing season against what was arguably the toughest schedule in the league but something that some people miss is the fact that this season is like 2005 when the Pats lost to the Broncos in the divisional round and Pittsburgh was able to avoid Belichick and his Patriots who are the Steelers kryptonite in the playoffs

2001 - Pittsburgh loses to New England in AFC Championship game

2004 - Pittsburgh loses to New England in AFC Championship game

2005 - Pittsburgh avoids having to face their playoffs daddy,the Patriots who lost to Denver in the previous week and goes on to win the AFC title and eventually the Super Bowl

2008 - Pittsburgh avoids having to face their daddy the Patriots who missed the playoffs and (???? TBD)

As we can clearly see the Steelers have taken advantage of avoiding having to play a Belichick led team in the playoffs and have capitalized on them to win one and probably two SB titles this decade

God,I wish we would have had a shot had we made the playoffs to see if our domination would have continued - I truly think we would have handled them again in a win or go home situation :(

The big reason why the Pats are so successful against **** LeBeau's D is b/c Tom Brady just dinks and dunks them to death, and very effectively. Yes-Pitt has a sick, albeit violent D, which makes it all the more difficult to do so for 60 minutes. But the Pats O w/ Brady has the patience, mental toughness, and perserverence to do so the entire game.

Hey, get out of here you Troll! :D

maybe its jsut me but its hard to take some creidt for the steelers being in the SB because we didnt qualify for the playoffs. If freaking ARZ can be in the SB then its also possible that the steelers wouldve beaten us in the playoffs .
They played who they had to and took care of business. look at nyg,panthers,tenn etc...they didnt.
and they had the possibly toughest schedule in the league
twice balt
pats
indy
tenn
giants
philly
dallas
SD

yeah sure , one can say Sd and indy werent so great .Well we lost to them too.
i give the steelers all the credit for being in the SB.

Hecks yeah...no doubt there is one team I'm happy we didn't play this year in the Playoffs...Brady only beat the Steelers once in the playoffs...Bledsoe won the other one...just saying...

But yeah...if there was ever a kryptonite for Cowher...it was the Patriots...but Tomlin...I don't know...he's different...I like having a Home AFC Title win...

Would I have liked to beat the Patriots with Brady in the Playoffs this year to get over that hurdle...yes Sir...am I happy that I didn't have to sit through that game and have my heart explode in my chest from the stress of it...yes Sir.

frankly,maybe just my opinion but tomlin ahs made a few head scratching decisions which didnt bite him in the ass so he escaped question with his stern serious looking statements
The dallas game, he had no business going for it in 4th down down two scores and needing 1 FG of those.
The SD playoff game the fake punt .
I bet if the call in balt wouldve not been overturned he wouldve gone for it on 4th down.
Iam sure a few more i cant remember.
Its one thing being conservative like cowher and another being foolhardylike tomlin. I suspect he will cost them a game or two if his defense doesnt bail him out.I heard even simms on radio mention this that he has had a few games where he has made bad calls , just didnt effect the game in the end.

Last edited:
The big reason why the Pats are so successful against **** LeBeau's D is b/c Tom Brady just dinks and dunks them to death, and very effectively. Yes-Pitt has a sick, albeit violent D, which makes it all the more difficult to do so for 60 minutes. But the Pats O w/ Brady has the patience, mental toughness, and perserverence to do so the entire game.

Actually, in that last game, if you look back, the Patriots went over the top for multiple TDs.

Polamalu bites on the short route constantly, and the Patriots took advantage of that. The Patriots won with 2 50 yard bombs to Deion Branch, great running by Corey Dillon, and interceptions of Ben R.

In 2001, Brady and Bledsoe led them to dink and dunk TDs, beautiful throws, and a Troy Brown punt return for a TD just nipped the Steelers.

But the way the Patriots beat the Steelers before was to shut down the running game (which was easy to do with Bettis back there), pressure the QB, and throw the ball over the top whenever Polamalu bit on the crossing route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes