PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers can't run on the Pats, they can't win

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Steelers really haven't been able to run on anyone this year. They're one of the worsr rushing teams in the league in terms of yards per carry. I wouldn't expect them to get much on the ground against the Pats.

They'll run to keep the Pats honest, but unless they have early success with the run, they're not going to pound the ball.

They have had some success running out of the 'I' formation with a fullback, but for whatever reason they seldom use that formation. It's odd because that was their bread and butter back in the day.

So if the steelers line up to run, they wont get many yards, but when they line up to pass, Ben Rottenburger has a good chance of being sacked.

The patriots rushing offense can keep the steelers defense on the field and tire them out.
Matt Cassel will seige the steeler's Castle.

So if the steelers line up to run, they wont get many yards, but when they line up to pass, Ben Rottenburger has a good chance of being sacked.

The patriots rushing offense can keep the steelers defense on the field and tire them out.
Matt Cassel will seige the steeler's Castle.

Man! Your optimism is so infectious that I am starting to believe it! :D

Big Ben is tough to bring down and he has many times proved his ability to scramble and make some amazing throws even when he is bring brought down. Given how much space our D seems to give to the WRs and the absence of Adalius, I am neither sold on our ability to sack/generate pressure nor expect us to stifle their passing game. That said, I do hope your predictions come true. :)

Go PATS!!

Last edited:
I guess are D - Backs really have to show up to play

The patriots rushing offense can keep the steelers defense on the field and tire them out.Matt Cassel will seige the steeler's Castle.

You really think so? The Pats rushing offense?? Well, I suppose if you're idea of "keeping the Steelers defense on the field" is 3 and out, then you have a brilliant plan. If Bellicheck is smart (which he is), he's not going to try running the ball all game against this defense. It's an exercise in futility, and he knows it. Your best bet is to go 4 and 5 wide and test the PIT secondary. Moss will likely get locked down with double coverage all game, but smart money says Welker has a solid game catching slants accross the middle.

well the patriots do have a well rested lamont jordan, ben jarvis green, and also i think morris?

The patriots can run the ball in a passing formation via cassel's ability to scramble out of the pocket.

Doesn't matter how healthy our RB's are, you have to go back to the Curtis Martin days to find a time when our RB's had real success against Pittsburgh. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on a big ground game Sunday. Look for Cassel to be our leading rusher again.

I disagree.
There are many intangibles to consider when playing against a great team like Pittsburgh.

It's wrong to assume that shutting down their running game would result in a win for us.

Ben has good recievers. He can toss the ball and is not afraid to. Our DB's need to be where they need to be and be physical.

We have to win this game.

Your best bet is to go 4 and 5 wide and test the PIT secondary. Moss will likely get locked down with double coverage all game, but smart money says Welker has a solid game catching slants accross the middle.

I actually agree with a Steeler Fan!

This game will come down to pressuring the QB. The Steelers and Pats are both among the top run defenses in the league. Neither team will tear it up on the ground.

The Steelers have a fer superior pass rush, but the Pats offensive line has come together pretty well over the past month and might be up for the challenge. Pittsburgh's starting corners may be out, which puts us at a big advantage. The would expect the Steelers are forced to bring Polamalu over to help cover Moss, or else Moss will tear their secondary up. This could leave gaping holes for Welker and Gaffney. The key for the Steelers D is going to be to pressure the hell out of Cassell, and force him to get rid of the pall while the recievers are still in front of the safeties and linebackers. The 2 TE set might be utilized more than we are used to seeing, and Matt Light better be fired up now that he wasn't suspended.

The steelers pass offense is not exactly selling like hot cakes, not to mention Ben Rottenburger is like a potato, always getting sacked. If you cant put up a run threat, it will make it harder for you to execute the pass.

Sure the steelers Dfense is top notch, but its not like this steelers defense has consistently played a strong offensive team like the patriots. If the steelers had a QB like Brady or manning then they probally wont need to establish the run, but Ben Rottenburger is not Brady or Manning.

This game is a test of the steelers offense and the patriots Defense, if the patriots Defense does not come up with a good strong game against a very average offense then I dont think they can win in the playoffs, and with the steelers, if their average offense does not play well enough to beat teams with a really strong offense and an average defense, then they will have troubles in the playoffs, because most of the teams in the playoffs will have good offense and average to good defense.

I hope the Pats blitz til they can't blitz anymore. Ben's inconsistency is a liability at times and if the Pats play good,physical D and can manage to get in his grill they could gain a nice advantage. If they can force him to pass, maybe grab an INT or 2 off him, hopefully take him out of his game when we need to.

We need game from our D, but especially one that'll rattle and roll Ben out of his comfort zone. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Steelers CAN'T win without the run, but I think it'll be a lot more difficult.

If the patriots offense was average to horrible then you dont need to establish the run to win, but its because the patriots offense is strong, combined with the steelers offense being average, the steelers will need to be able to run the ball, to move the chains and keep up with the patriots offense. At least the steelers have a strong defense that will prevent the patriots offense from running away with this game. And also the patriots front 7 are good at stopping the run.

Do you think its a good idea for a steelers offense which is average, to line up 4 wide, and throw on a BB defense? If Ben rottenburger was Brady or Manning then yeah its a good idea, other wise I wouldnt try it. The Jets game is a good example, the jets had strong defense and a good offense, and look at how the patriots manage and handle that game, sure it was a lost nothing to brag about, but still, the steelers are not the jets, and Ben rottenburger is not Brady or Manning.

Re: Steelers cant run on the pats, they cant win

Pats will not be able to run. They rarely even try and that's when they acutally had a couple decent running backs. Whether the Steelers can run remais a mystery. Parker is hurting as is the OL. They struggled to run against the lowly Bengals.

Pats have a decent rush defense and are probably better than the numbers suggest due to having to cover for a weak secondary.

This really comes down to Cassel vs Ben. Steelers have the better D and Ben, while not having a great year, has still proven he can get it done. For all the hype after playing two good games, Cassel is an unproven commodity.

Cassel > Ben

Unproven? Talk about a skeptic. What games have you been watching?

I expect Cassel to take the next big step - that is beating a good defensive team.

Last edited:

Cassel > Ben

I expect Cassel to take the next big step - that is beating a good defensive team.

Cassel wouldn't only beat a good Defensive Team but the one who is Number one overall in all the Defensive categories. If Cassel throws for 250 or more in a win against that Pittsburgh Defense...one can only imagine the new Threads that would be started around here...Brady who?;)

Last edited:

Cassel wouldn't only beat a good Defensive Team but the one who is Number one overall in all the Defensive categories. If Cassel throws for 250 or more in a win against that Pittsburgh Defense...

That would be quite a notch in his belt for sure :rocker:

For what it is worth, I went and looked at the Steeler's record, they have lost to at Philly, at home to the Giants and Colts

One would think that the Pats and the Colts are fairly even,, BUT

This was a game where Ben R threw 3 picks, the Colts only got a total of 290 yards of offense, meaning their red zone efficiency was real good. A Steeler DB actually tipped a pass, which Wayne then caught ala tip drill and sauntered into the endzone.

Steelers had 325 yards of total offense.

Pats will have to play their best come Sunday.

The colts are not that great at stopping the run, yet the steelers only put up about 65 yards rushing, and Ben rottenburger didnt throw for a single TD, threw 3 picks and got sacked twice.

The colts threw for 3 TDs on the steelers, the steelers didnt throw any tds, there only 2 tds( 1 yard rushing) were ran in by moore on a weak run defense. If the patriots and colts are even then, fine, but the patriots run defense is stronger, so those rushing TDs by moore might be harder to come by against the patriots. So like the tittle said, if the steelers cant run on the pats, they cant win.

Both teams have to play their best on sunday.

Last edited:

Cassel > Ben

Um...I guess now it's proven.

Their throwing stats were very similar, not to mention butter fingers by some of the pats WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back