PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation:Patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed with a 5 million/yr contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Speculation:patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed with a 5 million/yr cont

He'd have to give up #20 if this were to happen though.

Re: Speculation:patriots will try to lure free agent Ed Reed with a 5 million/yr cont

Right idea, Bill.

:mad: This better not be true, and Hell no, I would not pay him $5 million a year.
Don't get me wrong, Ed Reed is a good player, but at this point in his career, he is not worth $5 million a year IMHO.

5 mill sounds about right to me. What do you want him to play for the vet minimum? 5 mill really isn't breaking the bank. If it's a 2 year 10 mill deal and they can cut him next season I don't see how anyone can complain. Reed can also teach the youngsters. Really hope this is true and it works out. Don't want to have to rely on Tavon Wilson. Worse comes to worse, Devin can go back to corner with Tavon and Reed starting.

This $5MM/yr number doesn't make sense to me when the Franchise tag number is somewhere around $6MM. So why spend $5MM/yr for a great player, but one who is definitely on the down side, when you can spend just a million more and get a young elite Safety who will be at the height of their careers in either Moore or Byrd.

I'm not convinced that the Pats will go after a high end FA Safety this off season, but if they do, I'd rather spend a speck more high end money on a Safety in his prime, than one at the end of the road.

BTW- its not like I wouldn't love to have Reed here, but not at that price. I'd be more comfortable in the 3-4 Range.

I love what McCourty did last season. Easily played like a top 10 safety and is only getting better. If i had a choice between pairing our up and coming safety with a rookie, or more of Gregory as opposed to Reed Im taking Reed every time. I want this team to win now and the chances of a rookie coming in and playing like a seasoned veteran is low probability.

You want to draft one? Fine, he can play a role, learn and be the safety of the future.
I like the idea of Byrd or another younger elite talent and I'd be cool with that too. It's not my money and with the extension Brady and the front office just made happen I'm comfortable with the signing as long as BB is. He knows more about the salary cap of his team then anyone out there.

It's funny hearing people complain about how much the Patriots should pay Reed, like the Pats are asking you to help chip in lol. Let them pay what they want whatever there comfortable with.

It's funny hearing people complain about how much the Patriots should pay Reed, like the Pats are asking you to help chip in lol. Let them pay what they want whatever there comfortable with.

Turlock. Home of Colin Kaepernick. Did you ever go watch him?

So if Reed has anything left in the tank...why would the Ravens let him go to their rival and why would reed want to leave?...

Questions I'd need to know before deciding on the "goodness" of such a move:

1.) How many years

2.) How much guaranteed if it's more than 1 year?

3.) Will they be drafting a safety in round 1 or 2, for Reed to mentor?

The fact that Brady will no longer have to deal with him when we play the Ravens might be worth it. He seems to be too careful when we've played the Ravens when Ed is in the backfield. Considering that we might have to go through the Ravens to get to the SB.

This $5MM/yr number doesn't make sense to me when the Franchise tag number is somewhere around $6MM. So why spend $5MM/yr for a great player, but one who is definitely on the down side, when you can spend just a million more and get a young elite Safety who will be at the height of their careers in either Moore or Byrd.

I'm not convinced that the Pats will go after a high end FA Safety this off season, but if they do, I'd rather spend a speck more high end money on a Safety in his prime, than one at the end of the road.

BTW- its not like I wouldn't love to have Reed here, but not at that price. I'd be more comfortable in the 3-4 Range.

the bills maybe able to TAG Byrd for 6 million but he will not sign a long term deal at 6 million per it will take 10 million per to get one of the young Safetys,

so its not about Ed Reed vs a young all pro safety its about Reed vs the ? that is Aqib Talib if u sign Reed at 5 million you dont need to TAG Talib at 10 million or give him a long term deal wort 7 or more per year just pay Reed the 5 million and move Devin McCourty back to CB and Draft a corner

They paid Shaun Ellis 5 mil and got next to nothing from him, id be ok with reed for 5 mil.

So if Reed has anything left in the tank...why would the Ravens let him go to their rival and why would reed want to leave?...
Because they have no cap space.

Turlock. Home of Colin Kaepernick. Did you ever go watch him?

Pitman High is literally down the street from my house, but no never did watch him play. Gotta admit even though it was cool seeing him have success, glad they lost, couldn't take all the band wagon fans out here.

This is falso by a lot, and even more if the Lloyd news is legit.

I think you misread or misunderstood something. Or there is a Lloyd situation on the Ravens as well as the Pats that I'm unaware of. The Ravens have no cap space with the Flacco deal looming, NE does.

The person you quoted was answering why the Ravens would let Reed go to a rival, the answer is that it's not by choice, it's due to having no funds to re-sign him.

I think you misread or misunderstood something.
Yes. My bad.

The best center fielder on a team vulnerable to the long ball. Where's the problem?

Pats were ranked #32 on 20+ yard completions against with 74..........The WORST.
Ranked #29 in yds yielded thru the air.

If the teams wants to improve this deficiency now, they have to hit the FA market and target legit starting caliber safeties.

The best center fielder on a team vulnerable to the long ball. Where's the problem?

Pats were ranked #32 on 20+ yard completions against with 74..........The WORST.
Ranked #29 in yds yielded thru the air.

If the teams wants to improve this deficiency now, they have to hit the FA market and target legit starting caliber safeties.

Couldnt agree more.

The Pats could draft another Safety and roll the dice there again. Even Reed at this age is better than any NE Safety on the roster. He is a head hunter as well and the Pats dont have a guy like that.

Yes, because Reed immediately becomes NEs best DB

Yes, because it weakens the Ravens.

I'm never crazy about the idea of getting a guy that another team--that generally knows what it's doing--lets walk. If Reed played for Oakland, I'd be on board. I understand each team has its own cap considerations, just makes me leery.

Hard not to like the idea of Reed on the Pats, but I have a sneaking suspicion the team would be better off not going there--I think the main benefit to next year's squad would be psychological.

I like a secondary of Talib and Dennard on the outside, with Reed and Dmac at safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results