PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation from Carolina Panther writer on Pats going after Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
vdw7y96r8kk4h929x9tq.jpg

I trust Belichick but I would love to see Peppers in a pats uni. I'd buy that jersey this offseason.

NFL.com's Adam Schefter points out that Julius Peppers cannot be traded until he signs his one-year, $16.683 million franchise tender.

Peppers needs to sign if he truly wants out. There are rumors that the Pats might pursue him, but nothing can happen until Peppers is under contract.
Source: NFL.com

NFL.com's Adam Schefter points out that Julius Peppers cannot be traded until he signs his one-year, $16.683 million franchise tender.

Peppers needs to sign if he truly wants out. There are rumors that the Pats might pursue him, but nothing can happen until Peppers is under contract.

Right, but until he signs it, his agent can talk to teams, no?

Peppers is doing the right thing, he's making them suffer he knows there getting more desparate and eager by the hour to get rid of him which in the end will make the panthers settel for less compensation in the end. All in all it should be easier draft picks wise for the pats to pick him up.

There's been multiple sources speculating patriots want pep n pep wants the pats it's only a matter of time you'll see.

Peppers is doing the right thing, he's making them suffer he knows there getting more desparate and eager by the hour to get rid of him which in the end will make the panthers settel for less compensation in the end. All in all it should be easier draft picks wise for the pats to pick him up.

There's been multiple sources speculating patriots want pep n pep wants the pats it's only a matter of time you'll see.

I think it could be a neat experiment, but just remember, multiple sources have also speculated on the existence of Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster and an actual American space program... speculation doesn't make something true. ;)

Sasquatch = NT

I think it could be a neat experiment, but just remember, multiple sources have also speculated on the existence of Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster and an actual American space program... speculation doesn't make something true. ;)

There is a much better chance of Sasquatch being in the Patriot's

lineup next year than Julius Peppers.

Right, but until he signs it, his agent can talk to teams, no?

Peppers is still effectively a free agent, since he is not under contract, and is free to talk to any team. Of course, the cost of signing him to a contract while he is under the franchise tag is two 1st round picks, a cost which should be prohibitive.

The same thing applies to Terrell Suggs from Baltimore. Baltimore tagged Suggs, but Suggs hasn't signed the tag. If he signs it he is under contract to Baltimore for the 2009 year, and he can't negotiate with teams without their permission.

LeKevin might have something to say about that. 99 is open with Wright gone, though.

Probably depends. If he's an OLB he'd get a diff number, no?

That said, I think he'd keep his number. Or him and Smith can wrestle for it.

Now you're on to something! What would the signing bonus be? A couple of big Salmon?

Peppers is still effectively a free agent, since he is not under contract, and is free to talk to any team. Of course, the cost of signing him to a contract while he is under the franchise tag is two 1st round picks, a cost which should be prohibitive.

The same thing applies to Terrell Suggs from Baltimore. Baltimore tagged Suggs, but Suggs hasn't signed the tag. If he signs it he is under contract to Baltimore for the 2009 year, and he can't negotiate with teams without their permission.

The big problem is that he will demand an enormous contract.

Suggs will, but I think Peppers will take an incentives laden contract. It'll be big, but it won't be Haynesworth big.

Incidentally, would Albert be the first guy to ACTUALLY be worth his weight in gold?

Anyone know what Sasquatch's 3-cone time is? At about 9' tall he would realy clog the passing lanes. If he can hold the edge and cover the TE, and his contract is reasonable, I'd give him a look. :D

I think there's a good chance that he would sign a very cap-friendly contract if he could play here.
1) He's said that he doesn't want to play for Carolina anymore
2) He's only giving them a list of 3 NFC teams, and one AFC team that he is willing to be traded to.
3) He said that he would like to play OLB in a 3-4 because it would make the most out of his athletic abilities.

The Panthers are handcuffed this offseason with his contract #s. If the Pats approach Peppers with a contract that is reasonable by Pats-standards, I think there is a good chance that he would take that ticket out of there. If it were all about money, he would have signed the contract he was offered that would have made him the highest paid defender in the NFL...

Ok, suppose Peppers is ok with a decent contract. No idea if the panthers can match, or even would. But if that worked out ok...

First this year and next. #23 and #32 :D

That still leaves us with 3 second rounders this year, one of which is very high, and addresses a need at OLB, presumably.

Moreover, the #34 could possibly be turned into a lower #2 or extra #3 and a #1 next year.

Better yet is if Carolina would take our #1 and a lower #2 this year. They may not want to, but they're team won't be getting anyone in FA without Peppers off the books, and then they get two more picks this year.

I believe a three-way with KC and Carolina is how this gets done, but we'll have to see. It may simply be a UFO sighting, but it's all we've got for now.

whenever people say this kind of thing about this trade i remember the way people talked about the Moss blockbuster.

"never happen"

i sort of expect that Peppers will be here, the major obstacle is what carolina will want in return. if they ask for something outlandish it won't happen, but if they'll take the no.23 pick i bet he comes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes