PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation from Carolina Panther writer on Pats going after Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade the 34th and a 3rd or 4th to move up into the first, trade one of the firsts for Peppers.

I wouldn't give more than a first rounder for Peppers. Every good team needs a stable of cheap draft picks. We're holding all the cards with 7 first day picks (including likely 3rd for Asante.) Priority should be to extend Wilfork and Mankins. See what's left after that and check out the price for Peppers. In the end, I'm happy with 7 first day picks. We can move a couple of them to next year's draft and still have five quality picks. Who needs Peppers?

That's 6 first day picks including a comp for Asante (23, 34, 47, 58, 89 and 97). Not sure where the 7th comes from.

I agree with some of your points:

1. I would lock up Wilfork first. No sense not taking care of business at home and making sure you can keep the team intact, or pissing him off by spending big money on someone else. This may be going on right now.

2. I wouldn't overspend for Peppers. #23 (760 points), #47 and #58 (750 points), or #34 and #89 (720 points) would be about my limit. Minnosota gave up around 1300 points for Jared Allen last year, but they were willing to spend a lot to get him, he was only 26, he wasn't changing positions, and KC wasn't in salary cap hell. Plus the marketplace seems to be softer right now. I wouldn't throw away our stable of picks - any of these scenarios would still leave us with the among the most 1st day picks of any team.

Interesting perspective and a great player, I agree. However, I don't see the Patriots breaking the bank to sign Peppers (either in draft picks or salary), especially when Wilfork needs to be signed for the long term.

Shouldn't be a problem to sign both. Or more. Next year is uncapped.

That's 6 first day picks including a comp for Asante (23, 34, 47, 58, 89 and 97). Not sure where the 7th comes from.

1. I would lock up Wilfork first. No sense not taking care of business at home and making sure you can keep the team intact, or pissing him off by spending big money on someone else. This may be going on right now.

2. I wouldn't overspend for Peppers. #23 (760 points), #47 and #58 (750 points), or #34 and #89 (720 points) would be about my limit. Minnosota gave up around 1300 points for Jared Allen last year, but they were willing to spend a lot to get him, he was only 26, he wasn't changing positions, and KC wasn't in salary cap hell. Plus the marketplace seems to be softer right now. I wouldn't throw away our stable of picks - any of these scenarios would still leave us with the among the most 1st day picks of any team.
Six first day picks, not seven. I corrected my post.

Adam WHO............:rolleyes:

sarcasm
Adam Seward the guy that almost everyone on this board wanted to draft.. Oh and don't forget about Lamar Woodley. I think they were consensus picks that year.

Last edited:

I agree. Signing Wilfork and/or Mankins is much more important than trading for Pepers, a guy that is clearly on the downside of his career.

I agree. Signing Wilfork and/or Mankins is much more important than trading for Pepers, a guy that is clearly on the downside of his career.

:confused:

Is this sarcasm? I agree that we need to lock up our own guys too but please tell me you're not saying Peppers is on the downside of his career. The guy is not even 30 yet. He's still a monster. I HOPE this rumor is true. It would make the Cassel/Vrabel trade make some sense.

sarcasm
Adam Seward the guy that almost everyone on this board wanted to draft.. Oh and don't forget about Lamar Woodley. I think they were consensus picks that year.
I wanted David Harris and Lamar Woodley,he doesn't look to bad now. Harris looks good too, but not as good as MAYO.
I do remember the Seward thread(s) there was one with about 500 posts i never read any of them.

Last edited:
It could be a deal for Lucas and Peppers.

Carolina has close to 19 mil in cap space for both players.

Didn't we just clear 20 because Vrable was in the deal.

Peppers new deal would be the biggest stumbling block.

Compensation will likely involve pick 24.

I still wonder if KC will cut Vrable and he will sign back with the Pats.

Was that just a cash move the Pats needed to Make?

Have the compensation picks already been announced? I know last yr they were announced mid-to-end march, I believe yr before march 31st. If they have, which pick is for Asante?

Last edited:
Who needs Peppers?

BB by the sounds of it. I just see Bill figuring that with front 7 or 8 players that we may have (inc a Barwin, Sintim) etc we could run all sorts of different looks on D and he'd find a way to make Peppers look great. Maybe we got a bit stale last year?

I would give up a 1st and a 3rd (09 or 10)... with TB still in his prime that would make us the team to beat for the next 4-5 years providing we keep Wilfork

Carolina may want too much however...who knows but it all seems to make sense

I would give up the 23rd pick and a 3rd rounder for pep. Having 3 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder we would easily be able to move back into the 1st round even though the 34th pick is pretty much almost a first.

I actually think it will happen just a matter of time boys watch n see.

Last edited:
I would give up the 23rd pick and a 3rd rounder for pep. Having 3 2nd rounders and a 3rd rounder we would easily be able to move back into the 1st round even though the 34th pick is pretty much almost a first.

I actually think it will happen just a matter of time boys watch n see.
how about 2 twos and a 3 keeping 23 and 34 overall:D

how about 2 twos and a 3 keeping 23 and 34 overall:D

I agree how differently everyone will be talking if we essentially traded Cassell and Vrabel and upgraded 3rd pick we traded to San Diego last year for Peppers as well as being able to lock up the likes of Mankins and Wilfork long term

Carolina is STUCK with Peppers and looking to Unload him for whatever they can get!

Exactly, which is why I still believe he could find himself playing in NE. Everyone just assumes the Panthers would want at least a first round pick, and maybe even additional compensation, but most people said the same thing about NE's likely trade demands for Cassel. Look at it this way, Peppers has already made his wishes to play in a 3-4 known, and is currently taking up nearly $17M of the Panthers cap space. So, they've got an added incentive to trade him.

"The Panthers are pretty much paralyzed by the salary cap, largely because they have nearly $17 million in cap funds tied up in defensive end Julius Peppers. The Panthers could become players in free agency if they're able to move Peppers, but there was no indication Friday they are close to doing that."

Panthers quiet, lose depth on offensive line | offensive, depth, panthers - Sports - Gaston Gazette

Last edited:
Anyone notice that the author in the original article assumed that the Pats 1st round pick in 2010 will be 32nd. With Peppers and a gazillion day one picks he might just be right ;)

Carolina is close to the $$ cap and can't do much in FA. They also have no #1 pick this year.
Peppers came out to say he wanted to leave Charlotte so most fans took it personal and don't want him back .Of course we all know that can change.

Carolina is close to the $$ cap and can't do much in FA. They also have no #1 pick this year.
Peppers came out to say he wanted to leave Charlotte so most fans took it personal and don't want him back .Of course we all know that can change.

This story is picking up steam!!!!!.. remember Kirwan reported on this late last week ....

BB is decisive he realizes that he has what it takes to get Peppers and nobody else does as well as getting back to the Roots of our Championship Teams DFence Baby!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes