PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speakers in Helmets a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bargod

On the Roster
Reaction score
I saw the subject get brought up on another thread. I'm fairly new to the board and since the story came out last week it may have been discussed. I looked for it but couldn't find it.

The new commissioner is thinking of putting speakers in the lineman's helmets and microphone in the QBs helmet for away teams who can't communicate. It figures this was started in Seattle when the Giants were playing them. Typical Manning stuff. Isn't it the Colts who get rules changed when they lose to the Pats? Now little brother needs an up.

This is a dumb idea. Don't they already have a rule that if the home crowd is too noisy the ref can address them to keep it down or the home team gets flagged?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/football/24noise.html?_r=1&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fN%2fNoise&oref=slogin

It may be the worst idea ever, but we have to accept that every rule change for the foreseeable future is going to favor the offense.

Bargod said:
I saw the subject get brought up on another thread. I'm fairly new to the board and since the story came out last week it may have been discussed. I looked for it but couldn't find it.

The new commissioner is thinking of putting speakers in the lineman's helmets and microphone in the QBs helmet for away teams who can't communicate. It figures this was started in Seattle when the Giants were playing them. Typical Manning stuff. Isn't it the Colts who get rules changed when they lose to the Pats? Now little brother needs an up.

This is a dumb idea. Don't they already have a rule that if the home crowd is too noisy the ref can address them to keep it down or the home team gets flagged?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/football/24noise.html?_r=1&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fN%2fNoise&oref=slogin

It is a dumb idea, but not as dumb as allowing teams to pipe in extra crowd noise through stadium speakers. I think the Colts were caught doing this last year. If you're going to let teams amplify crowd noise then I think helmet speakers are only fair.

fillylabinga said:
It is a dumb idea, but not as dumb as allowing teams to pipe in extra crowd noise through stadium speakers. I think the Colts were caught doing this last year. If you're going to let teams amplify crowd noise then I think helmet speakers are only fair.
Uh, you folks do realize that the quarterbacks already have speakers in their helmets so they can hear the coaches play calls? How is this proposal qualitatively different from that?

I agree. I've had voices in my head for years and I wish they would go away.

PromisedLand said:
Uh, you folks do realize that the quarterbacks already have speakers in their helmets so they can hear the coaches play calls? How is this proposal qualitatively different from that?

The QB headsets are to avoid having to use signals from the sideline, which admittedly must be a pain. This is to allow tackles to hear the snap count, which would essentially eliminate the crowd noise factor and much of the homefield advantage in the NFL. I am baffled as to how they could even consider this, don't they want fans to get excited? Don't they want teams to fight all season for homefield advantage in the playoffs? This has got to be one of the most counter-productive ideas I've ever heard of in the NFL.

Next thing you know, people are going to start b/tching that the field at Gillette doesn't look some manicured lawn you see on Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous. What friggin' sport are we talking about? This is still football, right?

PATSNUTme said:
I agree. I've had voices in my head for years and I wish they would go away.

LOL. 10 characters?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case