Welcome to PatsFans.com

Speakers in Helmets a bad idea

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Bargod, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Bargod

Bargod Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I saw the subject get brought up on another thread. I'm fairly new to the board and since the story came out last week it may have been discussed. I looked for it but couldn't find it.

The new commissioner is thinking of putting speakers in the lineman's helmets and microphone in the QBs helmet for away teams who can't communicate. It figures this was started in Seattle when the Giants were playing them. Typical Manning stuff. Isn't it the Colts who get rules changed when they lose to the Pats? Now little brother needs an up.

This is a dumb idea. Don't they already have a rule that if the home crowd is too noisy the ref can address them to keep it down or the home team gets flagged?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/football/24noise.html?_r=1&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fN%2fNoise&oref=slogin
  2. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

It may be the worst idea ever, but we have to accept that every rule change for the foreseeable future is going to favor the offense.
  3. fillylabinga

fillylabinga Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It is a dumb idea, but not as dumb as allowing teams to pipe in extra crowd noise through stadium speakers. I think the Colts were caught doing this last year. If you're going to let teams amplify crowd noise then I think helmet speakers are only fair.
  4. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Uh, you folks do realize that the quarterbacks already have speakers in their helmets so they can hear the coaches play calls? How is this proposal qualitatively different from that?
  5. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree. I've had voices in my head for years and I wish they would go away.
  6. Isaac

Isaac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The QB headsets are to avoid having to use signals from the sideline, which admittedly must be a pain. This is to allow tackles to hear the snap count, which would essentially eliminate the crowd noise factor and much of the homefield advantage in the NFL. I am baffled as to how they could even consider this, don't they want fans to get excited? Don't they want teams to fight all season for homefield advantage in the playoffs? This has got to be one of the most counter-productive ideas I've ever heard of in the NFL.
  7. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Next thing you know, people are going to start b/tching that the field at Gillette doesn't look some manicured lawn you see on Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous. What friggin' sport are we talking about? This is still football, right?
  8. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 4 / -0

LOL. 10 characters?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006