PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Times says Mangini's job on the line - might not work again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Nice to see the other shoe falling in NYC - not even the times can deny the fallout from Spygate could mean that Mangini is likely personnae non grata in the NFL once his tenure with the Jets is up - which of course would be common sense. What other organization wants to leave themselves vulnerable to an admitted rat?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/s...1217185361-0BP6xiTjkdVg/V0VruVcCA&oref=slogin

Where do Mangini and Tannenbaum go if it doesn’t work out for them with the Jets? Mangini can’t go home anymore, at least not to his mentor, Bill Belichick, in New England.

You wonder how Mangini and Tannenbaum are viewed around the N.F.L. after setting off the saga known as Spygate last season, outing Belichick for his secret taping practices in violation of league rules. Did they score for delivering Belichick his comeuppance, or are they scorned for breaking an honor code?

Mangini, in particular, would seem to be at risk of being cast as a hypocrite and an ingrate, given that he raised his coaching profile in the system he subsequently turned against and brought dishonor. Understand his position. He needs to win in the here and now. Otherwise, his coaching future in pro football may be as uncertain as Big Tony’s was when the screen and final season went black.

Ironically, if the Pats hadn't gone 16-0 in the regular season, the Jets would likely be better off at least in the short term. The only reason the Jets picked #6 instead of #3 was because of their strength of schedule - courtesy the Patriots Mangini inspired perfect regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:
A case of the sinking ship deserting the rats.

Ironically, if the Pats hadn't gone 16-0 in the regular season, the Jets would likely be better off at least in the short term. The only reason the Jets picked #6 instead of #3 was because of their strength of schedule - courtesy the Patriots Mangini inspired perfect regular season.

do you honestly believe the jets were the main reason you went 16-0?

do you honestly believe the jets were the main reason you went 16-0?

No of course not. As you are obviously pointing out, the current Patriots are arguably the most talented and dominant team in the history of the modern NFL.

Thanks for reminding me.

But there is no doubt that MangIdiot and Spygate helped bring the team together and rally them to make laughingstocks out of half the teams in the NFL, such as the Jets, who could often be heard whinning about the Patriots running up the score.

Last edited:
No of course not. As you are obviously pointing out, the current Patriots are arguably the most talented dominant team in the history of the modern NFL.

Thanks for reminding me.

But there is no doubt that Spygate helped bring the team together and rally them to make laughingstocks out of half the teams in the NFL, such as the Jets, who could often be heard whinning about the Patriots running up the score.
I will agree that spygate gave them an extra chip on there shoulder. Quite evident after you smacked the chargers the following week and players went over to Belichick. That said you had an all time great caliber offense, Brady still throws 50 plus and Moss still breaks the receiving td record w/o spygate

Last edited:
Mangini will land on his feet as the defensive coordinator in Cleveland under Romeo Crennel. Belichick will likely disapprove and Crennel is his ally, but they are also competitors as head coaches. RAC isn't a fool, he knows that Mangini knows how to run the 3-4 defense.

But perhaps he was misunderstood as a child. I hope Tomase and PS3 can give us the other side of the story.:(

Crennel has forgotten more than Mangini will ever know about running the the 3-4. All I can about anyone who hires Manginin is watch your back because he is a snake.

Mangini will land on his feet as the defensive coordinator in Cleveland under Romeo Crennel. Belichick will likely disapprove and Crennel is his ally, but they are also competitors as head coaches. RAC isn't a fool, he knows that Mangini knows how to run the 3-4 defense.

Since when is Romeo making the calls on his coaching staff? Did something change?

So I guess I'm wondering why Phil Savage would leave himself vulnerable to charges of tampering or any other dirty laundry that Magnini would later reveal?

I will agree that spygate gave them an extra chip on there shoulder. Quite evident after you smacked the chargers the following week and players went over to Belichick. That said you had an all time great caliber offense, Brady still throws 50 plus and Moss still breaks the receiving td record w/o spygate
I don't think so. Last year was a total aberration from a game management style. BB has generally played conservatively, keeping the game close and not making a mistake at the end.

He has rarely a whole lot more than was needed to win.

I think BB genuinely thought that the rules were as he interpreted and was hammering the league to prove a point known only to him.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I just don't expect to see it again this year, even though IMO the team is much better.

I don't think so. Last year was a total aberration from a game management style. BB has generally played conservatively, keeping the game close and not making a mistake at the end.

I think BB genuinely thought that the rules were as he interpreted and was hammering the league to prove a point known only to him.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I just don't expect to see it again this year, even though IMO the team is much better.

I tend to go along with you - it seemed the caliber of teamplay as well as the gameplan was designed to send a message to the league.

But really, K-Ro and most people would probably be willing to ascribe at least one win on the Patriots regular season schedule as a positive effect of spygate.

And for the Jets strength of schedule compared to the other 4-12 teams, even one loss would have made the .007 strength of schedule difference that saw them pick #6 instead of #3.

I could not agree more. BB made a monumental misjudgement of what Goodell would do regarding filming, penalty wise. Hubris perhaps but BB figured the guy was rational. Now he knows he isn't.

I wont dismiss the notion of Belichick intentionally running up the score but Brady never has had anything resembling an elite WR for his entire career before last year. I think a lot of the change of scheme just had to do with the fact that no one could stop Brady to Moss and if you were determined to then Brady had no problem hooking up with Welker, Stallworth, Watson or whoever.

Last edited:

First of all. I don't know if even Crennel will give Mangini a DC job. His first shot at it was lopsided at best. The Pats' defense was the most passive I have ever seen under Belichick through the KC in the 2005 (where it was rumored that a fed up Belichick took over the defensive play calling). Even with the Jets, the defense has mostly been very passive.

Second, I think his lack of knowledge has shown since 2005. He doesn't seem adaptable whether it is as a DC or as a head coach. His refusal to work the Jets to put the talent he has around him in the best position to win in favor of forcing talent that doesn't fit his system to play his system probably turned off a lot of GMs and Head Coaches.

Third, he has proven to be disloyal. Trust is a huge thing with head coaches and their staff. Even if Crennel likes the guy personally, doesn't neccessarily mean he trusts him.

Fourth, I think Mangini is just a position coach and it may be the only place he can excel in this league. He did wonders with the Pats' secondary in 2004, but that might be his strength of focusing in on one group and making them play way over their heads. Not every position coach (no matter how good they are) has what it takes to go to the next level.

But there is no doubt that MangIdiot and Spygate helped bring the team together and rally them to make laughingstocks out of half the teams in the NFL, such as the Jets, who could often be heard whinning about the Patriots running up the score.

What in the hell are you even talking about, when did the Jets ever whine about the Patriots running up the score? The Jets and Patriots second game was not a rout by any stretch of the imagination, so when did they whine? I'm not taking anything away from the Patriots and what they have done this decade, however I am interested to see how they perform with the defensive players having headsets now.

"What in the hell are you even talking about, when did the Jets ever whine about the Patriots running up the score? The Jets and Patriots second game was not a rout by any stretch of the imagination, so when did they whine? I'm not taking anything away from the Patriots and what they have done this decade, however I am interested to see how they perform with the defensive players having headsets now."

Back to the simpleton argument that the Pats past success was due to knowing defensive signals or "cheating" No sane person argues they stole signals last year so why did they set alltime offensive numbers? How could they possibly be so good without this crutch so many people want to believe was the backbone of their success? I'm still stunned how this non story had such legs. It's the same as "tampering" with free agents. Everyone does it and no one really cares but if the media decides it's "cheating" watch out. Because the teams accused so far are no big deal then little is made of it.

What in the hell are you even talking about, when did the Jets ever whine about the Patriots running up the score? The Jets and Patriots second game was not a rout by any stretch of the imagination, so when did they whine? I'm not taking anything away from the Patriots and what they have done this decade, however I am interested to see how they perform with the defensive players having headsets now.

Good point. While ESPN among others asserted that the "Rest of the NFL is getting upset with the Patriots" running up the score, very few people consider the Jets to truly be an NFL organization at this point.

It's probably just a matter of time before they get absorbed into the CFL.

Of course I'm sure there were no threads on any of the Jets message boards of Jetsfans moaning about the big bad Patriots running up the score either. That would be out of character for Jets fans. They would never whine about something like that

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=872355

:rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
Good point. While ESPN among others asserted that the "Rest of the NFL is getting upset with the Patriots" running up the score, very few people consider the Jets to truly be an NFL organization at this point.

It's probably just a matter of time before they get absorbed into the CFL.

Of course I'm sure there were no threads on any of the Jets message boards of Jetsfans moaning about the big bad Patriots running up the score either. That would be out of character for Jets fans. They would never whine about something like that

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=872355

:rolleyes: ;)
They didnt run it up in the Jets Pats first game but it seemed like they did intentionally in certain games last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes