PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sort of OT: NFL Tampering

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
The other topic where this came up was closed so posting it here.

From the rulebook:
1637681846915.png

So conversations player to player (like Brady-Edelman) is not tampering in the league's eyes.

This would be tampering in the NBA. This is not allowed there but it's not true for the NFL.

From the rulebook:
View attachment 37955

So conversations player to player (like Brady-Edelman) is not tampering in the league's eyes.

This would be tampering in the NBA. This is not allowed there but it's not true for the NFL.
not tampering by rule, sure.

Still a shi tty thing for Brady to do.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

No it's not against a rule but we all know how BB feels about fmr members of his org poaching his staff who are still under contract.

In fairness to Brady, how serious was he? Edelman wasn't like Gronk or Antonio Brown who had control of their playing situation. How was Edelman ever going to go to Tampa when he was under contract with the Patriots and coming off his statistically best season of his career?

I think this story will get a decent amount of play, but it is much ado about nothing.

Also applies to any conversation between Randy Moss and Brady…

In fairness to Brady, how serious was he? Edelman wasn't like Gronk or Antonio Brown who had control of their playing situation. How was Edelman ever going to go to Tampa when he was under contract with the Patriots and coming off his statistically best season of his career?

I think this story will get a decent amount of play, but it is much ado about nothing.

We're also hearing it from Edelman himself, who is very much retired and building kind of a brand for himself here in New England. He has a lot of incentive the play up his own loyalty (which I 100% believe) to the team and the area. I don't think this is a big deal at all.

Who cares?

I think it's SB1 trying to justify why Brady didn't do anything wrong so no one can be critical of him

But what is the definition of "member club?" Can a player on said club count as a representative for the club? In other words, is it club management only?

I think it's SB1 trying to justify why Brady didn't do anything wrong so no one can be critical of him

But what is the definition of "member club?" Can a player on said club count as a representative for the club? In other words, is it club management only?

i've read several writers today who seem to think it applies to players as well, is just not really enforced

i've read several writers today who seem to think it applies to players as well, is just not really enforced
Interestingly enough, the only mention of tampering in the CBA is this:

Without limitation on any other operation or interpretation of Section 3(c) of this Article (Other Permissible Terms), any Rookie Contracts executed on or after April 24, 2018 may not contain any individually negotiated provision that: . . .
(D) prohibits a player from engaging in conduct that would constitute a violation of the NFL Anti-Tampering Policy by any NFL Club;

Interestingly enough, the only mention of tampering in the CBA is this:

I may be reading it wrong, but that sounds like it's saying it's illegal for a team and player to sign a contract that prevents the player from tampering? So not only are they allowed to "tamper" (or engage in the activities that would be considered tampering by a team official), but their right to do so is protected under the CBA. Someone please correct me if I've interpreted that incorrectly.

that would make sense since a GM can easily get one of his players to send out feelers for a player on another team…

I think if a club asks a player to do that on their behalf, and says anything publicly then there would be a problem.

But for two friends just talking - I don't think that's tampering by the rule.

From the rulebook:
View attachment 37955

I was under the impression that NBA free agency amounted to LeBron and his buddies sitting by a pool in the summer deciding where everyone in the league was going to play for the next three years.

I doubt you can tamper with someone who is retired. Once you retire, you're Joe Q. Public. You certainly aren't working for the NFL anymore.

I doubt you can tamper with someone who is retired. Once you retire, you're Joe Q. Public. You certainly aren't working for the NFL anymore.
I just read another post that was locked after I gave you the "winner" rating.

Apparently Tom called Julian up and asked if he wanted to join him in TB right after he signed and Edelman declined.

It's still not tampering.

LeBron, AD and Russell Westbrook all got together during the offseason to find a way to Westbrook to the Lakers. I wish this trade didn't happen as it's been a disaster.

Prior to that, Russell Westbrook approached Kahwai Leonard about playing with him in LA. Leonard took that information and told Paul George that Westbrook wanted to leave OKC and then George asked for a trade to only the Clippers. Leonard is a snake.

Players can talk to whoever they want to recruit.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back