PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So the patriots have about 10 million in cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Lets talk about what they are going to do with it.

Are we going to see one of the big three extended?(hightower/collins/butler) What about Adding a couple of years to gronk to keep him happy?

how much do they need to save for mid season pickups?

Doubt it would take much to pick up a player that's getting cut over the next two weeks.

Holding out for a trade of a high contract player?

Hopefully they get at least either Hightower or Collins signed to an extension prior to the season, both would be great, getting Butler an extension would also be a smart move.

Maybe once they are set putting together the roster and then they move on these much needed contracts.

Hopefully they get at least either Hightower or Collins signed to an extension prior to the season, both would be great, getting Butler an extension would also be a smart move.

Maybe once they are set putting together the roster and then they move on these much needed contracts.

Sign 'em! Or sign one, franchise the other, and tag Butler with a 1st Round tender (if he plays really well again this year)?

And don't forget Bennett, Ryan, Harmon and about 20 others!

Remember that unused cap space (up to a certain amount) can be rolled over into the following year for bonus cap room.

The Gronk contract fascination is puzzling. Give/guarantee more $$$ to a guy locked in for the next 4 years who is being held together with duck tape?
Regarding the $10 mill......secure a legit Tackle via trade ...avoid a 2015 repeat

Actually any extension that Hightower gets would likely INCREASE cap space for this season.

$8-10MM under is about were you want to be going into a season. It leaves with plenty to make the several mid season acquisitions that come up due to trades or injuries.

BTW-for those still looking for OT's to suddenly add, the fact is there aren't any $10MM quality OT's out there on the FA market, not even close. Some of the names I keep hearing like Schwartz, are marginal guys to begin with. Face it we are NOT going to find a guy as good as Volmer sitting there waiting for us to sign. Cannon and Waddle as the #3 are going to HAVE to be the guys.

The Patriots ususally keep around $4 million for in season acquisitions. It seems a bit premature to worry about re-upping any of the big 2017 FAs until next week when the dust settles.

Mingo was a good pickup if he works out this week. My guess is we get a couple of surprise cuts and a couple of veteran pickups after Thursday's game.

I'm watching for a former front seven pro-bowler to join the defense after cut down day. Knighton didn't have any quickness left in the tank. Belichick likes those Junior Seau types who can play part time and be a steadying force on big plays. Long provides some of that with Ninkovich, but I bet they grab a big name off the scrap heap this weekend.

Actually any extension that Hightower gets would likely INCREASE cap space for this season.

$8-10MM under is about were you want to be going into a season. It leaves with plenty to make the several mid season acquisitions that come up due to trades or injuries.

BTW-for those still looking for OT's to suddenly add, the fact is there aren't any $10MM quality OT's out there on the FA market, not even close. Some of the names I keep hearing like Schwartz, are marginal guys to begin with. Face it we are NOT going to find a guy as good as Volmer sitting there waiting for us to sign. Cannon and Waddle as the #3 are going to HAVE to be the guys.
It depends on how the signing bonus is structured (installments) and when the payments are.

They can take his $7.5m this year convert it to a bonus, spread it out along with the additional money.

Per Miguel

Bonus incentives and rollover is what the majority of this will be used for.

Also remember as it stands Pats have the most cap space available for 2017. Won't hurt to rollover 5-6m. Could be the difference in keeping someone like Sheard

It depends on how the signing bonus is structured (installments) and when the payments are.

They can take his $7.5m this year convert it to a bonus, spread it out along with the additional money.

Per Miguel

Uh... I was promised when I took this course that there would be no math. o_O

Cheap bastards...
Signed,
Mike Felger and My Pet Parrot

Cheap bastards...
Signed,
Mike Felger and My Pet Parrot

hqdefault.jpg

"You're right, Mike!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back