PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So tell me about the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Anybody got a book on this Jets team?

I think Pennington is one of the best QBs, but he is a noodle arm. Hope we can force some rainbows.

I know one of their RBs was a back up in San Fran that was always in trade rumors.

Mawae's gone. Replaced by a very highly regarded rookie, (Mangold)?

New coach with a totally different defense. We should exploit that.

A lot of the old familiars are gone, so what are we up against? If Patsfans don't know, nobody know.:D

RayClay said:
I think Pennington is one of the best QBs, but he is a noodle arm.

This doesn't make sense. It's like saying a guy is a great Olympic sprinter but he only has one leg.

zippo59 said:
This doesn't make sense. It's like saying a guy is a great Olympic sprinter but he only has one leg.

He has poise, intellligence and command.

You're saying arm strength is the only or even most important factor in a quarterback?

Actually there was a quarterback who won a super bowl but still had to work very hard to get his arm strength up to average NFL standards.

Since he had a big frame and great work ethic he has increased his arm strength.

His name is Brady.

Your analogy is really lame. A sprinter runs.

A quarterback only throws the ball far???? That's the whole definition of a good quarterback?

There aren't more than 5 or 6 really good quarterbacks today IMO.

There's a million guys that can throw a ball a long way.

Last edited:
You want arm strength, how about Chris Simms?:rolleyes:

Or Michael Bishop. Or Drew, for that matter.

So nobodies got a book on the current Jets?

Last edited:
A strong arm isn't important for a QB, but it needs to be half decent. Pennington's isn't.

zippo59 said:
A strong arm isn't important for a QB, but it needs to be half decent. Pennington's isn't.

That's why I called him a noodle arm. Yet, even though the whole league knows he's struggling with the long ball, he puts up stats like this last week.

24/33 319 2TDs Thats 73%.

There's plenty of strong armed QBs that will never "get it".

I hope Pennington never recovers any arm strength.

By the way, anybody got a book on the new Jets? Anybody?

RayClay said:
That's why I called him a noodle arm. Yet, even though the whole league knows he's struggling with the long ball, he puts up stats like this last week.

24/33 319 2TDs Thats 73%.

There's plenty of strong armed QBs that will never "get it".

I hope Pennington never recovers any arm strength.

By the way, anybody got a book on the new Jets? Anybody?

He did play well, but personally I think the Titans are one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst.

zippo59 said:
He did play well, but personally I think the Titans are one of the worst teams in the league, if not the worst.

I'll grant you that. Some guys never develop arm strength, but if he gets to average in that category he'll be one of the best IMO.

That's not saying much, there are a bunch of mutts masquerading as QBs currently.

Again, only my opinion.

The jets don't have much of a running game, and they can't defend well against the run. They have a weak, inexperienced OL.

ON OFFENSE
We need to run to set up the pass. In this case, we need to pass a few times deep to keep the safeties and corners out of the box. We should then be able to get at least 200 yards rushing. If Mangini concentrates on stopping the run, then Brady will dink and dunk and pick them apart.

ON DEFENSE
Don't give Penny any time to throw! We should be able use the blitz to perfection. THe jets connect with a few long gainers, and there will criticism of our secondary, but in the end Pennington should be on the ground a lot.

BOTTOM LINE
If we keep healthy, and keep down the turnovers, this should be a routine patriot victory.

mgteich said:
The jets don't have much of a running game, and they can't defend well against the run. They have a weak, inexperienced OL.

ON OFFENSE
We need to run to set up the pass. In this case, we need to pass a few times deep to keep the safeties and corners out of the box. We should then be able to get at least 200 yards rushing. If Mangini concentrates on stopping the run, then Brady will dink and dunk and pick them apart.

ON DEFENSE
Don't give Penny any time to throw! We should be able use the blitz to perfection. THe jets connect with a few long gainers, and there will criticism of our secondary, but in the end Pennington should be on the ground a lot.

BOTTOM LINE
If we keep healthy, and keep down the turnovers, this should be a routine patriot victory.

Thanks, Mgteich, I know we should win, but I'm a little worried we don't have our head in the game this week.

Hope to see some receivers out there for some balance too.

Pressure is the key, no doubt.

RayClay said:
Anybody got a book on this Jets team?

I think Pennington is one of the best QBs, but he is a noodle arm. Hope we can force some rainbows.

I know one of their RBs was a back up in San Fran that was always in trade rumors.

Mawae's gone. Replaced by a very highly regarded rookie, (Mangold)?

New coach with a totally different defense. We should exploit that.

A lot of the old familiars are gone, so what are we up against? If Patsfans don't know, nobody know.:D

Based on their performance against the Titans last week, I evaluate the Jets as Follows;

QB - He was very accurate in his passes and controlled the tempo of the offense very well. He gave an "A" performance.

RBs - Barlow and Blaylock combined do not add up to one RB. They were no threat to the Titans. They both averaged under 3.5 yds a carry. They gave a "D-" performance.

WRs - Coles and Catchery had a good game and ran good routes. The gave a "B" performance.

TEs - They were basically invisible in the pass and run game. They are no real threat. They gave a "C-" performance.

OL - Did well in pass protection but were ineffective in opening holes in the running game. They have 2 rookies at key positions C & RT. They gave a "C+" performance.

Defense - DL, LBs, and secondary all gave a "B-" performance. They pressured Collins and handled the run well. They let the Titans almost tie it at the end though.

Special Teams - The kicker Nugent had a horrible day. He missed 2 30 yd FGs and an extra point.

Overall, I would rate the Jets on par with the Bills. If we get to Chad the game is ours easily.

Last edited:
rabthepat said:
Based on their performance against the Titans last week, I evaluate the Jets as Follows;

QB - He was very accurate in his passes and controlled the tempo of the offense very well. He gave an "A" performance.

RBs - Barlow and Blaylock combined do not add up to one RB. They were no threat to the Titans. They both averaged under 3.5 yds a carry. They gave a "D-" performance.

WRs - Coles and Catchery had a good game and ran good routes. The gave a "B" performance.

TEs - They were basically invisible in the pass and run game. They are no real threat. They gave a "C-" performance.

OL - Did well in pass protection but were ineffective in opening holes in the running game. They have 2 rookies at key positions C & RT. They gave a "C+" performance.

Defense - DL, LBs, and secondary all gave a "B-" performance. They pressured Collins and handled the run well. They let the Titans almost tie it at the end though.

Special Teams - The kicker Nugent had a horrible day. He missed 2 30 yd FGs and an extra point.

Overall, I would rate the Jets on par with the Bills. If we get to Chad the game is ours easily.

Excellent. Many thanks.

I know a lot of people raved about Mangold at center, but: He's a rookie and he isn't Mawae.

Cotchery's their #2? They don't like McCareins?

I really think we're allright, but I wouldn't mind McCareins at the right price.

Jets compared to Pats

QB decent player, advantage Patriots
RB strong advantage Patriots
OL advantage Patriots
TE strong advantage Patriots
WR strong advantage JETS

DL advantage Patriots
LB equivalent at this juncture
DB slight advantage Patriots

STs advantage JETS

Pats OL should be able to block for the run so that the two headed Dillroney monster should rack up well over 100 yards. The Jets weak pass rush (compared to Bills) should be better handled by the Pats giving Brady time to find even an errant WR so he can pass downfield against CBs less talented than the Bills'.

Penny is accurate and will complete passes against a Pats secondary that always requires several games to jell. The Jets downfall will be the Pats crushing of the weak running game, forcing the accurate Penny to have to pass too much.

This game will be a test of our special teams against the Jets' good squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News